PDA

View Full Version : What's in YOUR name

Necron2.0
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
When people see my user names, they assume I’m seriously into WH40K. While I do enjoy the game, my online personae actually do not come from the game. I have two standard nicknames that have defined my internet presence for over a decade. The first (and least used) is “god-emperor-of-space-and-time.” The second is “Necron2.0.” Now, I’ve only been into WH40K for a couple years, and prior that I knew nothing of it whatsoever.

My usage of “god-emperor-of-space-and-time” is a reference to Dune. It is also an inside joke between me and some geek friends. I used to work on telecommunication software that involved geostationary satellites (aka GEOSATs) that utilized time-space-time switching algorithms.

I more commonly go by “Necron2.0.” The reason why I go by this here and elsewhere is because “Necron99” is almost universally taken as a login account, as is “Necron” by itself. Both are characters from 70’s and 80’s animated movies by Ralph Bakshi.

So, for those of you with a story behind it, why'd you pick the name you have to represent you to the world?

Whoop!
03-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Whoop!Whoop! Is a Juggalo cry, and I am a Juggalo. I know most don't understand the Insane Clown Posse, but I am a big fan. Most people like horror flicks, and ICP is horror-core rap. Cheesy zombie clowns rapping about punishing the wicked, and trying to find Shan Gri La (which is their version of heaven). The mythology that has been created by this band over the last 20 years is awesome. Did I say that those stupid clowns have been selling records for 20 years? Yup, Hows that for staying power in an industry where most rappers last about 6 months.

WHOOP! Where my Juggalos at?

Connjurus
03-14-2011, 06:43 PM
It all goes back to the days of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. My favorite unit in that game was the Conjurer. My first name is Connor, and when I started playing Diablo 2, my account name was Connjure.

Fastforward some 13 years and it's Connjurus.

gwensdad
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
uh...this is a Gwen:
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhpy7jINVg1qcu9k1o1_500.jpg

I'm her dad (for the past 7 years).

Wow, that was really....boring.

(maybe if I found a picture of her painting something-let her have a go at some grots)

eldargal
03-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I've collected Eldar since I was 8, and I'm a girl. People in the games group used to joke that I looked like an Eldar, being tall, thin and, apparently, graceful. Which doesn't prevent me walking into things a lot but I digress.

So, I came to be referred to as Eldar Gal as my gaming nickname, so I adopted it for the interweb.

MarneusCalgar
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Must explain mine???

Ok, let´s go... It´s for Marneus Calgar, Lord of Ultramarines. I´m very fond of this Chapter, same as Space Wolves.

But Guilliman and Russ are dead or dissapeared, so I chose the actual leader of one of my armies

Necron2.0
03-14-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm her dad (for the past 7 years).

Wow, that was really....boring.

As myself being the father of a four year old girl, I'm sure it is anything but. :)

Emerald Rose Widow
03-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Emerald Rose Widow is a name i have used to symbolize myself for a long time and it has a lot of meaning to me.

Lets start with the Widow, or the Black Widow, yes the spider. I use it as a symbol to represent feminine independence and strength, the power of the female personality. That symbol means a lot to me, because i like to think of myself as a strong independent woman, fully able to do things on my own (though i do love the company of others, hehe).

Next the colour emerald green, which is often used as a symbol of growth and life.

Lastly the rose, a symbol of love, the classic symbol of love. That and the flower is just so damned pretty.

Hehe, yeah, it took a long time to evolve to that name, but ive used it ever since for just about everything, hope you like.

energongoodie
03-15-2011, 04:05 AM
energon goodies are the sweets, or as you yanks like to say, 'candy' that Hot Rod and Kup offer to the Sharkticons in the 1986 Animated Feature Film Transformers the Movie.
Have been using it for about 11 years. I always figured that it showed I was a big Transformers fan but only to another fan.
Plus I'm super sweet and neon.

eldargal
03-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Ba weat grana weep mini bon.

energon goodies are the sweets, or as you yanks like to say, 'candy' that Hot Rod and Kup offer to the Sharkticons in the 1986 Animated Feature Film Transformers the Movie.
Have been using it for about 11 years. I always figured that it showed I was a big Transformers fan but only to another fan.
Plus I'm super sweet and neon.

DrLove42
03-15-2011, 06:21 AM
My last names Love in real life

The moniker of Dr. Love was given to me in college (draws some really strange looks when people scream is across a full cafeteria).

Funny thing is, i'm now doing a PhD so will be Dr Love in a few years.

As for the 42...its the answer to everything!

energongoodie
03-15-2011, 07:12 AM
Ba weat grana weep mini bon.

I shall consider myself universally greeted. :D

Drew da Destroya
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
I usually go by Murphyslaw (which was my name in WoW... Dwarf Warrior, wanted an Irish name, went with my Grandmother's Maiden name), and Murphy's Law is always appropriate.

I joined a 40k forum (The-Waaagh), and it didn't feel appropriate as an "Orky" name. So I went with Drew (which is my name), and added the title "Da Destroya", to show my orky love of destroying.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Col.Gravis
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I am Col.Gravis...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x160/gravisblog/Forum%20Pictures/DSCF5067.jpg

Though I can't honestly remember where it comes from. Ho hum.

Marius
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Marius is Mario in my language, Catalan. And also a common name in the Roman Empire. And Marius was also a Deathwing member in some game.

Morgan Darkstar
03-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Uber Geeky i know but my online alias came from one of my tabletop DnD characters and has just stuck.

Emerald Rose Widow
03-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Uber Geeky i know but my online alias came from one of my tabletop DnD characters and has just stuck.

DORK ALERT

lol jk, its a good name

Morgan Darkstar
03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
DORK ALERT

lol jk, its a good name

lol yeah my friends usually make jokes about it aswell. :)

Necron2.0
03-17-2011, 08:52 AM

The two characters I played the most were a magic user named "Sable Mortum" and a barbarian named "Callipygus the Callipygian." Neither name I felt like being stuck with forever.

Drew da Destroya
03-17-2011, 12:31 PM
DORK ALERT

lol jk, its a good name

What? There are dorks in this hobby?

That's it, I'm out. Nobody told me there'd be dorks!

lol. :p

Emerald Rose Widow
03-17-2011, 01:03 PM
What? There are dorks in this hobby?

That's it, I'm out. Nobody told me there'd be dorks!

lol. :p

yep, too bad, cya later, lol

My two biggest dnd characters i have played were Arlea Draconis, and Ruz Varix, they were both mages of awesome

DarkLink
03-17-2011, 02:02 PM
In video games, I usually name my characters neo or link. Those are both usually taken when you go online, though, so I go to DarkLink.

eldargal
03-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm vaguely dissapointed, I was expecting a story about a valiant company of Grey Knights battling a Daemonically posessed link of Bratwursts, with the victorious outcome immortalised as an honorific.:rolleyes:

Duke
03-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Cool thread...

Here is my history. My first name is actually my fifth generation great-grandmothers name, she was the Duchess of marlburough, so i joke that if the right people lived and the wrong people died I would be a Duke...

I told this story At orientation during my undergrad and everyone just called me Duke after that...

There it is.

Duke

Denzark
03-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Many, many moons ago, in UK WD about 120, there was a Space Hulk mini campaign, with rules for using powered armour marines instead of terminators. These Ultramarines had to fight through to the control room of a mining tug, to drop its load of ore directly onto a moon that had been overrun by stealers. We're back to possibly 1989 here.

The name of the Marine Captain who came up with this suicidal mission? Denzark - mission called Denzark's Hammer. I have used this for a while and its never taken as a log-on!

scadugenga
03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Scadugenga is from the Old English (that's pre-1066 England) language. Something I ended up studying almost by accident in grad school. Odd things happen.

It means "Night Walker", or "one who walks in the night." In Beowulf, it literally translates as "wanderer in darkness." It is from scædu (literally, shadow, night, darkness) and genga (to go/walk)

It seemed to fit, given my nocturnal bent.

That, and I needed something more unique, given that (back in the ol' MIRC days) you couldn't "lock in" a username. Any sick depraved twit could log on and be a total dink.

DarkLink
03-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm vaguely dissapointed, I was expecting a story about a valiant company of Grey Knights battling a Daemonically posessed link of Bratwursts, with the victorious outcome immortalised as an honorific.:rolleyes:

I've killed a lot of flood in Halo, if it makes you feel any better;). That's kinda nurgley.

The Girl
03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
It's a joke.

Our local forum started to have major issues with my account - not allowing posts over 2-3 words, posting blank replies, etc. Decided to start a new account to see if the bugs were with the account or the site... asked my boss [worked at an FLGS at the time] what I should use. His response "Everyone knows who you are, you might as well use 'The Girl'. You're the only one in the Austin crew."

The new account worked, so the moniker stuck. I use it here, and on the local forum to keep the rest of my life separate - I'm a bit of a privacy freak. My non-gamer usernames usually involve random names of lesser known angels/saints, or contain "llama" [really old nickname].

Cyberscape7
04-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Well this refers to 2 of my previous hobbies (Yugioh and runescape). I once owned this card called cyber dragon, which I thought was utterly awesome! It was about this time that my friend introduced me to runescape, and for my username I decided to fuse, cyber dragon and runescape and voila, Cyberscape. The 7 is roughly the amount of functioning brain cells I had after playing runescape for 3 years...