PDA

View Full Version : Disembarkation

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I've run into a situation recently where I assaulted a loaded chimera and failed to destroy it...and in the resolution I had to move back 1-inch. Now on my opponents turn he wanted to disembark from the chimera to take out my scouts but if a model tried to leave from the hatch it would come within 1-inch of an enemy (my) model. So we decided that the only way for him to do so was to emergency disembark (leaving them sitting there dumb for the rest of the turn). Did we do this right? He surrounded one of my rhinos and I had to do the same thing so it was fair enough but we want to know how it should've been done. (note that both vehicles were immobile if you were wondering why we didn't move)

The Defenestrator
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Firstly, you do NOT have to move back 1" at the end of the assault. You continue to assault the vehicle in their turn, unless they move away from you.

secondly, let me quote from the rulebook:

page 67: "If any models cannot disembark because of enemies.... the unit can perform an 'emergency disembarkation' - the models are deployed anywhere within 2" of the vehicle's hull, but the unit can't do anything else for the rest of the turn.

so yes, you guys handled it right, except you don't back up from vehicles and continue to beat on them in the opponent's turn.

EmperorEternalXIX
09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Why did you have to move back 1"? If you make base contact with a vehicle and fail to destroy it, you stay in contact with it (and assuming your opponent doesn't move the vehicle out of contact during his turn, you hit it again during HIS assault phase).

Emergency disembarkation was more for when the vehicle is blown up and you are forced to disembark, but can't. This descends from an old stupid rule in 4th edition where a unit inside a vehicle with a blocked door was considered totally destroyed. Now, if your transport gets wrecked or destroyed you can still get out using emergency disembarkation if your doors were blocked.

EDIT: Apparently the rules as quoted state you can do it any time you are blocked, so yes, you did it right.

Just remember about that huge 2" disembarkation zone. Only the tip of your guy's base has to be in it.

keithsilva
09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
You did it correct, the only way they could come out, if all exit points are block is to do a emergency disembark, but remember if the whole transport is surounded and there is no way for them to pop out with being 1" way from a enemy model for the exit or emergency disembark they can not come out at all, and if you wreck the transport not explode it then they are destroyed.

keithsilva
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
As far as I know, if the vehicle is not destroyed, you can't use emergency disembarkation.

You can still do it even if the transport is not destroyed, but the unit can not do anything after, I believe the tank it gone after that (wrecked).

EmperorEternalXIX
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
As far as I know, if the vehicle is not destroyed, you can't use emergency disembarkation.

You can still do it even if the transport is not destroyed, but the unit can not do anything after, I believe the tank it gone after that (wrecked). I corrected myself. I don't think it wrecks the tank, though. Got a page number for that?

keithsilva
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Sorry at work lol. I kow you cano do its, the wreck part i am not sure about

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
wow...completely missed that I didn't have to move back and I CAN continue to attack...thanks for the help there guys

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Also, you're saying that if I completely surrond a vehicle and destroy it (to where they can't disembark past 1" from my models) they all die?

Aquila
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
The best thing to do would be to simply move the vehicle so that the squad can disembark and shoot normally. No reason to sit there, take hits, and auto-pin your squad, when you can simply force the enemy to move out of the way using your transport tank (And force them to take a morale check while doing so)!

keithsilva
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Also, you're saying that if I completely surrond a vehicle and destroy it (to where they can't disembark past 1" from my models) they all die?

Only if you wreck it, and they have to exit the vehicle. If you explode it then they are just placed where the tank was.

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
rgr that keithsilva...thanks

aquila...that's understood and we would've done so...but in the OP I stated that both tanks were immobile (I apologize if this seems dickish to point out...I don't mean for it to seem that way but I have to defend the intelligence of myself and my opponent in this case)

Culven
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Since both the Chimera and Rhino have fire points, it may have actually been tactically advantageous to leave the units in them and have them shoot at the enemy instead. Then they would have been protected from return fire and from assault. I'm not saying that there aren't good reasons to try Disembarking when the enemy is close by, but just mentioning something that may affect one's decision to attempt a Disembark in such a situation.

erfunk
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
This reminded me of a line of related questions. Premise: If a vehicle is wrecked, you normally have to disembark out the hatches. But if you can't, you emergency disembark.

Q: If the tank is surrounded, leaving you no place to go, can you 'emergency disembark' into the middle of it so a few models won't be destroyed?

Q: If you're forced to emergency disembark and there is sufficient room to fit models outside the vehicle (say a MC assaulted the back of a Chimera), can you choose to place models on the wreck anyway?

Q: Even if you're not emergency disembarking, if you stay within 2" of the hatch can you disembark onto the wreck of your own transport?

keithsilva
09-01-2009, 04:24 PM
This reminded me of a line of related questions. Premise: If a vehicle is wrecked, you normally have to disembark out the hatches. But if you can't, you emergency disembark.

Q: If the tank is surrounded, leaving you no place to go, can you 'emergency disembark' into the middle of it so a few models won't be destroyed?

Q: If you're forced to emergency disembark and there is sufficient room to fit models outside the vehicle (say a MC assaulted the back of a Chimera), can you choose to place models on the wreck anyway?

Q: Even if you're not emergency disembarking, if you stay within 2" of the hatch can you disembark onto the wreck of your own transport?

First Q: you can not disembark on the tank, even emergency, the tank is still there not wrecked, or so i believe, so you have to place them aroud the tank.

Second Q: if the model only wrecked it i believe you can do an emergency dismbark as long as there is room around the tank which in this case if he is only blocking the exit, they can be placed in front or side.

Third Q: I think the only way you could place them on the tank if it is destroyed. Think of it as the tank explode and the guys were thrown out, once wrecked it is still there blocking LOS, think of it as they are being forced to leave the transport due to the crew dead, or anything else you can think of.

Culven
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
The answer to all of these is "no, because a unit may only Disembark from a Vehicle, so at the time they Disembark, it is still considered a Vehicle model and one unit may not be placed on top of another".

DarkLink
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
The answer to all of these is "no, because a unit may only Disembark from a Vehicle, so at the time they Disembark, it is still considered a Vehicle model and one unit may not be placed on top of another".

Correct. The "Wrecked" result on the damage table specifically states that the passangers disembark THEN the vehicle is replaced with a wreck. If any models in the unit cannot disembark for any reason, the entire unit is destroyed.