PDA

View Full Version : GK air-assault list..

dethangel
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
hq;
libbi with psy bolt, brain mines, lvl 3 mastery (quicksilver, summoning, vortex and santuary)....235
troop;
10 GKss w/ 2 p-can and psy bolt 240....( S1)
10 Gkss w/ 2 p-can and psy bolt 240.... ( S2)
elite;
10 purifiers w/ 4 incinerators, 6 halberds and psy bolt 272....( S3)
1 Ven dread w/ TL hev flamer and psy flame ammo 180....(D3)
1 Vindicare Assassin 145
heavy;
1 Rifleman dread w/ TL lascan and ML 150....(D1)
1 Rifleman dread w/ TL lascan and ML 150....(D2)
1 dread knight w/ great sword and heavy p can 195
fast
1 Storm Raven w/ TL lascan and TML 230
(S1 and D1)
1 Storm Raven w/ TL lascan and TML 230
(S2 and D2)
1 Storm Raven w/ TL plascan, and MM 205
(S3 and D3 and libbi)
......2472 pts...... (Using beta codex)
this is my beta AirAssault list when i get the new codex i will have a better idea of final pts and full wargear descriptions. at least this is my idea for speeding up the army and adding some long range anti tank. those seem to be weak points for them.
i havent used this many Storm ravens before but the idea is they will be air support/anti-tank. they will drop the dreads in at support by fire positions. then drop off the knights in close for surgical strikes. the purifiers, the venerable dread, dread knight and libbi are my primary assault force. the libbi is there to summon the dread knight right into the heart of the enemy.
let me know what you think.

DarkLink
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Don't bother with lvl 3 psychic mastery. It's not worth 50pts, you really don't need it. Remember you get two psychic power per player turn, meaning four per game turn depending on what powers you're using.

And you need the shrouding. If you are taking a Librarian, you must take the shrouding. Always. No excuses. It's 5pts, and it's the best power by far. All those Storm Ravens going flat out at the enemy? They all have 3+ cover saves. Good luck stopping all of them.

Go find some autocannons. Two TL autocannons with psybolts are infinitely better than a single TL lascannon and a missile launcher. Cheaper, too. I presume the only reason you have this picked is that you don't own TL autocannons.

And you have a 48" range, there's no need to use the Storm Ravens to transport the Dreadnoughts anywhere. Just because you can put them in the SR doesn't mean you should, though it is nice to have the option. If you run into a Guard blob squad, you could dump a Dread in their face and tie them up for the rest of the game :).

I wouldn't bother with the 4 incinerators either. You have a ton of storm bolters, and you're great in close combat. Halberds are awesome, and you lose them with the incinerators. Frankly, the only GK special weapon worth anything is the psycannon to pop tanks with.

And put one MC Daemonhammer in each squad, too. You want a guaranteed way of fighting stuff like Dreadnoughts and putting a couple wounds on your opponent.

volrath8754
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Other than the Mastery lvl 3 I agree whole heatedly. You never know what you'll want to do with him so why not keep you're options open (and take SHROUDING!!!). Finally the heavy p-cannon is in my mind terrible especially for like 35 pts.

isotope99
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
The dreadknight's sword is a little expensive given that it looks like it's going to cost you your +1A for two CCW.

Dooley
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
All I want to know is we're people are getting these "PRE RELEASED" "BETA" codex's? Am I the only one who doesnt think this is very fair to everyone else who is going to actually BUY the product? But then again why buy the cow if you can get the sex for free. So in summation......WERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THIS "BETA" DEX?

Splug
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
All I want to know is we're people are getting these "PRE RELEASED" "BETA" codex's? Am I the only one who doesnt think this is very fair to everyone else who is going to actually BUY the product? But then again why buy the cow if you can get the sex for free. So in summation......WERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THIS "BETA" DEX?There's a bunch of .pdf files floating around, most of them disagree on various points but are somewhat close to the actual codex. If you use a rumor codex, you may be in for a disappointment later.

Codex: Grey Knights was distributed as part of GW's March black box, so pretty much any store that carries GW products will have a store GK codex that you can drop in and read through... with the caveat that the book stays there. Inevitably, someone will take the time to scan the pages and upload the correct version. I assume that has probably happened by now but I don't have a copy/link.

somerandomdude
03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Anyone else concerned with the 20 scoring bodies at 2500? I think not taking a Grand Master at that level is a waste of potential. Extra scoring bodies, or even (potentially) 3 scouting Stormravens for getting up close and personal.

DarkLink
03-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, don't bother with the leaked pdf. It isn't that close to the actual codex, and only has the unit entries themselves, no wargear or anything.

And GK lists are going to be very small. No matter what you do, you're not going to have many models. Just have to suck it up and play, even if you only have 20 scoring models.

But if you drop the psy level 3 and the weapon upgrades on the storm ravens and change the dreads to dual TL autocannons and drop the heavy plasma cannon, that's almost another unit of GKSS for no real loss. GK storm ravens aren't the standoffish gunships that the BA storm ravens are, since you don't have 4 krak missiles, so you don't need the extra range of the lascannon. All the dreadknight shooting weapons are very meh, and you can save points by just tossing the dreadnight into close combat and otherwise drawing a ton of firepower. And the dual TL autocannon dreads are significantly better than tl las/missile dreads, for cheaper.

Edit: And Psychic Mastery 3 really isn't worth it. You really don't need it. Shrouding and Sanctuary happen in your opponent's turn, while the other powers can be used in yours. You get 4 psychic powers per turn, you do not need 6. If you do, you're relying way too much on a single model. And frankly, the Librarian doesn't have that many powers that will be that useful that often. Certainly not often enough to justify that 50pt upgrade.

dethangel
03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
i agree that the libbi should just be lvl2 it saves pts. and with my crappy luck with rolls an extra psy test is just asking for it.:) im thinking ill remove 2 insinerators from the purifiers but not all of them. i like the no cover save. i have friends that when shot at always go to ground. its anoying.
the reason i went for such a lascannon heavy list is i need a solution to the land raider problem.
i may opt to change out a lascannon or 2 for plasma cannons on the storm ravens but i want my ravens to serve multiple roles . role 1 transport. role 2 anti-tank. role 3 fast response. i like assault cannons its the crappy 24" range i dont like. it puts my ravens to close for the whole game. i mean when i air assault in after dropping its payload it falls back and takes up a med to long range support position. that why i went with the typhoon ML also 48".

DarkLink
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Assault cannons and psycannons are actually much better at killing Land Raiders than lascannons, if you're in range. And melta is much better than both, though your storm ravens are the only thing with real access to melta here.

Tynskel
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Assault cannons and psycannons are actually much better at killing Land Raiders than lascannons, if you're in range. And melta is much better than both, though your storm ravens are the only thing with real access to melta here.

I like the qualifier: "if you're in range"

DarkLink
03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
GKs are going to be doing all their damage within fairly short ranges, so I think you'll just need to take your whole army an plop it down midfield. You should be putting pressure on your opponent at all times, not giving them any room to maneuver. If they try to assault you, well, you have some of the best assault units in the game. If they try and shoot you, you've got a ton of psycannons for suppressing fire, and storm bolters to kill anything not inside a vehicle, and then you can move up and assault them.