PDA

View Full Version : Would you like too see a free downloadable Army Roster

SonsOfLoki
09-01-2009, 01:38 PM
A few months ago i started to make a Microsoft Word 2005 Army Roster, Quite basic really, as i have not started programming in school yet, but i dropped the idea due to lazyness.

But!

I have resumed, and the finished FREE Army roster sould be finished Tonight or Tommorow Morning in the Army list section of The Lounge.

Discussion Part:

Would You

A) Buy Army Roster
Or...
B) Tell GW to get off its Arse and make a free download

As a fourteen-year-old i cannot purchase Army Roster as i have no access to ordering/buying anything on the Worldwideinterwebtubes.

gwensdad
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I've been using a spreadsheet for my armies for a while now, and it works for me - But some people I play with swear by Army Builder and I've thought about getting that (I used to use it back in it's 1.0 days)

PalinMoonstride
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
The only problem i have ever had with army builder is that all my friends use it to print up their lists and run me out of ink! It is a pretty solid app and well worth it. Other people in m group got the old GW army list programs and they seemed to use use alot of ink and paper.

Drew da Destroya
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
There's a free program called "The Forge" out there that I like a lot. It's not quite as nice as ArmyBuilder, but you can customize your own army lists (So if you're creating a homebrew army, you can set them up).

I don't believe it's being supported anymore, but once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty solid tool.

Rusty Nail
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm a huge fan of Army Builder, esp for helping with the tweaking of various lists, but it always pays to double check both points costs and eligibility with the codex there was a time I was running about with a Land Speeder that was about 20 points shy of it's proper points total - very embarrasing - more so in that I didn't win a game whilst using it :o

=Angel=
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm a huge fan of Army Builder, esp for helping with the tweaking of various lists, but it always pays to double check both points costs and eligibility with the codex there was a time I was running about with a Land Speeder that was about 20 points shy of it's proper points total - very embarrasing - more so in that I didn't win a game whilst using it :o

Yep.I've used AB in the past ( my friend got 2 copies or something) and it was fairly simple to get the hang of.
That said, i'd much rather something free :)

Denzark
09-01-2009, 03:47 PM
On an earlier BoLS main site thread, there was a link to an excel spreadsheet called Army List Builder 2.0 by a chap called Technique 1e (with a comma-ie french thing above the e). Except for the suspiciously gallic name it is genuinely the best list builder I have used in 19 years of playing - spreadsheet gives you boxes to free hand in options - then tots them up and has a printer friendly summary tab.

Yes it doesn't say what options are legal like the commercial army builder but then 1. You don't have to wait for the latest codex file update to use it and 2. Its free.

Also better than the old GW ones. Will happily forward to anyone who PMs me their email addy.

shags_j
09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
A few months ago i started to make a Microsoft Word 2005 Army Roster, Quite basic really, as i have not started programming in school yet, but i dropped the idea due to lazyness.

But!

I have resumed, and the finished FREE Army roster sould be finished Tonight or Tommorow Morning in the Army list section of The Lounge.

Discussion Part:

Would You

A) Buy Army Roster
Or...
B) Tell GW to get off its Arse and make a free download

As a fourteen-year-old i cannot purchase Army Roster as i have no access to ordering/buying anything on the Worldwideinterwebtubes.

Nice work mate. I did this for specific armies a while ago but it became too much effort. Well done champ.

I don't like Army builder etc since I can't really install it at work and that's where I write most of my lists

solarmus
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I tend to use a homebrew excel spreadsheet for army lists, mostly because the way army builder does updates drives me a bit nuts (though I have friends who swear by it). Really GW should produce something to handle it (and by that I mean something with more support than they gave Armies of the Imperium/Enemies)

SonsOfLoki
09-02-2009, 03:18 AM
To Add to this, ive finished my Army Roster Word Doc, Here is a link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ixzvnyzbjyz

Any feedback would be nice :)

Note: i said i would post it somewhere else, but to stop myself from have loads of threads with barely any replies, im going to post it here

oni
09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
My intention isn't to steal your thunder here, I figured you may want to see mine as it might help you to improve yours.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com/2009/04/they-just-keep-getting-better-and.html

SonsOfLoki
09-03-2009, 04:17 AM
Yes i downloaded yours a while ago, the downfall is that if you have a ton of wargear than its nearly impossible, i based mine off yours and fixed the 'Shrinking Text' Syndrome.

Also all unnessersery Boxes can be deleted to save Space and ink

Und there is no fancy background, therefore saving you yet more ink