PDA

View Full Version : Game-Over-Man! Nids 2000 pt

Yeahbuddy42
03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey guys,

I tried something a little different this time. Normally I go with about as many Hormagaunts as the 6 troop slots can fit, and then Rumble behind them with a Carnifex and a Swarmlord, with some Zoanthropes acting as lightning bugs.

But this time I wanted to use some of the bugs I never get to! So here is my weird (possibly horrific) Tyranid list.

*WARNING - Unconventional List to Follow*

HQ -
Warrior Prime w/ Adrenal Glands
Warrior Prime w/ Adrenal Glands

TROOP -
5 X Warrior w/ Adrenal Glands ( Warrior Prime Attached )
5 X Warrior w/ Adrenal Glands ( Warrior Prime Attached )
4 X Warrior w/ Adrenal Glands
4 X Warrior w/ Adrenal Glands

ELITE -
Death Leaper
3 X Lictor
3 X Lictor

FAST ATTACK -
5 X Ravener w/ Death Spitters
5 X Ravener w/ Death Spitters

HEAVY SUPPORT -
Mawloc w/ Adrenal Glands
Mawloc w/ Adrenal Glands

Okay, so I know it is a little "different", but I'm looking to have fun..... But as we all know "Winning" (Thanks Charlie Sheen) is more fun than Losing...... So any critiques would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tynskel
03-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Are these just flat warriors? Devourers with Scything Talons? If that is the case, I would swap some squads (one Prime squad and one regular squad) their guns for rending claws.

I would also consider some Barbed Stranglers. Occasionally, your opponent will fail a pinning check, and that is golden for warriors, because they will assault and strike first (also, pie plates are fun!).

Pods might be useful for Shooty Warriors, although, the dumbest FAQ ruling makes the Warrior Prime not able to join the warrior squad (really, all they had to say is that embarked units in spore pods can only be joined by a Prime if the unit is warriors).

I like the raveners.

Lastly, I would try to get a poddin' Scything Talon Bio-Plasma Frag Spine Adrenal Sacs Carnifex in there. They rock! Who doesn't like a 5 Attack, Initiative 4 Str 10 beasty with a plasma cannon?

Yeahbuddy42
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Forgot to mention this is a No-Shooting list / except for the Ravener's Death Spitters.

I was thinking about just exploding out of the ground over and over again with the Mawlocs, and jumping from terrain with Lictors. And Raveners will pop out of ground (Deep Strike) also. Lots of miss-direction, and popping out of things in this army.

I've always had great success with groups of 3 Warriors tearing things apart, but they were always following closely behind about 45 hormagaunts. So I don't know if just warriors on the field will just get annihilated.

Tynskel
03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
gaunts do help a lot. But, I have 120, so I like them a lot.

I do think if you are gunna go so little shooting that you probably want to add a ton of gaunts. Just to have something that can die on the way in.

The other guy
03-21-2011, 02:29 AM
I can see a lot of good in this list, but a couple of things worry me a little.
First of all your lack of ability to deal with av14 tanks. The only thing you can use is the mawlocks, but they are far better at killing troops.
The other thing i see is that half your units are going to deep strike in, leaving your warriors walking alone on the board.

MY SUGGESTIONS

HQ - change the primes into a tyrant with wings. That way he can DS in and his ability can help guide the rest of your troops in.

ELITE - you could leave it as it is, but if you want miss-direction, why not use ymgarl stealers, who make your opponent worried about all the terain on the board? Maybe swap out a unit of lictors?

Troop - put the warrior squads in mysetic spore pods. Safe delivery system sorted.
Alternatively take out one unit of warriors, (still pod the others) and replace with a big unit of uber-haumagaunts.
Then the haumagaunts outflank using the tyrants ability. BINGO, your opponent is worried about the small edge sides. I love these units and they have never failed to earn their points back for me.
Fast - I like. Simples.
Heavy - as someone else said, consider a carnifex in a spore. Keep him simple, talons only. Take out a mawlock for him.
Obviously you have chosen mawlock over trygon. Your choice, and nothing wrong with it. I prefer trygon primes, they suit my style of play better.
Any left over points should be used on outflanking gene-stealers.

Hope this gives you things to think about.

Yeahbuddy42
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
List after suggestions:

HQ:
Parasite of Mortrex - (160)
- I went with the Hive Tyrant with wings at first, but at almost 300 points for the model I felt it gimped my overall army. So I switched it over to the Parasite.

TROOPS:
4 X Warrior w/ Adrenal Glands - (140)
- Mycetic Spore w/ Cluster Spines - (50)
4 X Warrior w/ Adrenal Glands - (140)
20 X Hormagaunts w/ Adrenal Glands - (160)
- Lost 2 Warrior squads due to overall points of the army... I hope that 3 troop choices can hold?

ELITE:
Deathleaper - (140)
3 X Lictors - (195)
8 X Ymgarl Genestealers
- My sneaking troops that are meant to leap from cover, and scare my opponent away from it.

FAST ATTACK:
4 X Raveners w/ Deathspitters - (160)
4 X Raveners w/ Deathspitters - (160)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Carnifex w/ Adrenal Glands - (170)
Mawloc w/ Adrenal Glands - (180)
- Mawloc has the same idea of popping in and out of play. Carnifex is meant to take out Armor threats in the back field.

I don't know what I think of the army now... I'm worried about my troopers, haha.

Ghoulio
03-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Here is some advice if you are doing an all reserve army:

1)Tthe only model you actually NEED is a Flying Hive Tyrant with Hive Commander. Without him this army just flat out doesnt work. You say he comes in at almost 300pts but he really shouldn't. I run mine with just two sets of scything talons (for tank hunting mainly) and hive commander and he is 255pts and is WAY better in every way then the Parasite. Another nice thing is you can outflank those Hormgaunts instead of podding them in, which will save you a kill point and 50pts (which you can use to upgrade your parasite to a Tyrant).

2) Raveners: Remove the death spitters. They are a horrible horrible guns and this unit should be running all the time. Like virtually everything in the Nid list you really have to focus. These guys are great in CC and are crap at shooting, so take off those deathspitters and put on rending claws

3)Hormagaunts: I personally always take toxin sacs instead of adrenal glands. It means you can wound anything in the game on a 4+ and are effective in CC after the first turn. You shouldn't be blowing tanks up with these guys anyways :)

4) Spores: I am 100% of the mindset that guns on spores are a complete waste of points. I say this because of the BS 2 (I know its not THAT big of a deal with a blast weapon). The problem arises in the fact you MUST shoot the closest target. I mean, you might of had different experiences with it then I have but for my playstyle I just cant see it.