PDA

View Full Version : Doing Something Different with Orks

blackarmchair
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
So I've been playing wagon Orks for a good long time now and I'm feeling that it's time for a change. I know walker spam has been done before but the idea appeals to me and I think I've changed it up (at least a little):

[HQ]
+ Big Mek [100]
- Kustom Force Field, 3x Ammo Runts
+ Big Mek [100]

[Elite]
+ Lootas [105]
- 7x Lootas
+ Lootas [105]
- 7x Lootas

[Troops]
+ Ork Boyz [220]
- 1x Nob with Power Klaw & Bosspole
- 29x Slugga Boyz
+ Ork Boyz [220]
- 29x Slugga Boyz
+ Ork Boyz [220]
- 29x Slugga Boyz
+ Deff Dread [100]
- 2x Dreadnought Close-Combat Weapons, 2x Skorchas, Armour Plates, Grot Riggers
+ Deff Dread [100]
+ Gretchin [70]
- 1x Runtherd
- 19x Gretchin

[Fast Attack]
+ Warbuggies [70]
- 2x Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha
+ Warbuggies [70]
+ Warbuggies [70]

[Heavy Support]
+ Killa Kans [150]
- 3x Killa Kans with Rokkit Launchas
+ Killa Kans [150]
+ Killa Kans [150]

Total: 2000

I think this list shoots well, fights well and even does well with objectives! Looking for a little C&C please and thank you!

blackarmchair
03-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Ooooone is the loneliest number.....

Skragger
03-23-2011, 07:05 AM
So I've been playing wagon Orks for a good long time now and I'm feeling that it's time for a change. I know walker spam has been done before but the idea appeals to me and I think I've changed it up (at least a little):

[HQ]
+ Big Mek [100]
+ Big Mek [100]

[Elite]
+ Lootas [105]
- 7x Lootas
+ Lootas [105]
- 7x Lootas

[Troops]
+ Ork Boyz [220]
- 29x Slugga Boyz
+ Ork Boyz [220]
- 29x Slugga Boyz
+ Ork Boyz [220]
- 29x Slugga Boyz
+ Deff Dread [100]
+ Deff Dread [100]
+ Gretchin [70]
- 1x Runtherd
- 19x Gretchin

[Fast Attack]
+ Warbuggies [70]
+ Warbuggies [70]
+ Warbuggies [70]

[Heavy Support]
+ Killa Kans [150]
+ Killa Kans [150]
+ Killa Kans [150]

Total: 2000

I think this list shoots well, fights well and even does well with objectives! Looking for a little C&C please and thank you!

I'm a mek player myself, I love the stompy of walkers truding across the battlefield. I find I like to equip my Kanz with Grotzookaz over the rokkits. You're already got a lot of anti-tank with those Warbuggies. I use my Kanz to hold down infantry. Three Kanz with 'zookas means 6 str 5, AP 5 templates flying around each turn. Thats enough to nail down an entire squad of guard/other orks/anything else thats not Marines or 'Crons.

I messed around a few times with warbuggies, and I found they got picked up pretty quick, but they're nice to harass enemy lines. I like using Deff Koptaz in their place, they can turbo boost, drop Big Bommz, fire twin linked rokkits, and aren't too bad in combat. They're also quite a bit cheaper, meaning you can chuck more boyz/walkers. I'd swap the Buggies out for Koptaz, and buy some Tankbustaz and stick them in an open topped Battlewagon. The open toppedness means that all 12 of the Bustaz can shoot their rockets, and move (yay assault rokkits!), so you have a well armoured rolling anti-tank fortress, it soaks up a lot of fire, but it can generally take it.

Shokk Attakk Gunz are your friends for pinging down heavy infantry like Terminators.

Generally, My walkers list looks like this (I don't have my codex so I can't confirm points, its usually around 1500 pts)

Big Mek
>SAG
Big Mek
> Force Field (stands in the middle of a squad of Kanz

>20 Shoota boyz (who doesn't love 40 shots/turn?)
>20 Shoota boyz
>20 Shoota boyz
> Deff Dredd (2 klaws, 1 skortcha, 1 big shoota) - CC support for heavy infantry klawin')
> Deff Dredd (2 rokkets, 2 klaws) - mobile anti-tank/heavy infantry klawin')

>3 Deff Koptaz (w/ Twin Linked Rokkits) -with a turbo boost scout move, you can score side armour on enemies tanks on turn one, they also act as great fire soakers if you don't get first turn, cause the enemy wants them dead before they flank. Big Bomm if you're fighting redshirts

>3 Kanz (Grot Zooka, Klaw)
>3 Kanz (Grot Zooka, Klaw)
>Battlewagon (open topped, 2 rokket launchas, with 12 Tankbustaz inside) - this tends to take a LOT of fire once the coptaz are down, because its a huge tank breaker, if you can, stick 11 bustaz inside, and a Mek with a Kustom Force Field)

> 15 Lootaz (best friend for smashing Rhinos, sentinels, and chimeras.

The Koptaz turbo-scout and hit the flanks of the heavy tanks, Kanz pulverise infantry, Lootaz pulverize light armour or heavy infantry, Dredds krump the heavy infantry, the Shootaz (which are a bigger bang for your buck than choppa/sluggas) clean up after all this, and the Mek with the SAG can pick off targets of opportunity.

Thats how I roll a Walker list, feel free to ask any questions if you have them!

blackarmchair
03-23-2011, 10:01 PM
You think I should take koptas over buggies? They're more expensive...for the cost of my 6x buggies I can only get 3x koptas with rokkits and buzzsaw (i assume you need a buzzsaw to properly use the scout move).

Worth it ya think?

Skragger
03-24-2011, 06:46 AM
No buzzsaw needed for the scout move. I usually only take it in larger point games, but I rarely get a chance to use it cause my koptaz are usually on anti-tank duty.

The reason why I like the koptaz is that 24" scout move. I can position them so they they can try to ping the side armour of tanks on the first turn with a twin linked rokkit launcha. Being skimmers/flyers/whatnot I don't need to worry about steering around terrain.

And if I cant get them at the side armour of tanks, they do tend to draw a lot more fire than the buggies do, so people tend to try to pick them off rather than firing at other targets, because next turn they'll get their targets side, or more probably rear armour.

blackarmchair
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Hrm good stuff, I think I'll give them a try. That actually makes some good sense to me.

Thanks

Skragger
03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Always happy to help!

Good Krumpin!