PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point SM outflanking

Timbo
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
This list combos Khan's outflanking ability with Tigurius' ability to manipulate reserves. Tigurius is a wuss, but he'll be hiding in the terminator squad and furious charging along with Khan most of the time. I haven't played it yet because I'm still waiting for the last of my attack bikes to arrive. Feedback is welcome!

HQ
Kor'Sarro Khan 160
Chief Librarian Tigurius 230

Troops
5 Scouts with Sniper Rifles Melta Bombs and Camo Cloaks 95
10 Marines with Multi-Melta Meltagun and Combi-Melta 185
Rhino 35
Rhino 35
Rhino 35

Elites
5 Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield 200
Land Raider 250

Fast Attack
3 Scout bikes with Melta Bombs and 3 Astartes Grenade Launchers 105
3 Attack Bikes with Multi-Meltas 150
3 Attack Bikes with Multi-Meltas 150

2000 points

Some players like bike squads as troops (then Khan has to ride his bike) over the Rhino-bourne squads. I've always preferred the rhinos. However the bike squads do get an extra 6" threat range on their melta weapons when they outflank which could be useful.

Chumbalaya
09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Meh, not a fan of outflanking armies really. It's too easy to screw them over by sitting at the center, leaving bait units at the flanks to distract them while focusing on each parcel of the army. Tigger helps, but it won't be enough.

Arkaedin
09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Meh, two named characters is really a point sink. I'd say keep Khan and drop Tigurius. The scouts are going to be generally ineffective because sniper scouts are terrible in 5th edition. An idea for the tacticals is to drop the combi-meltas and pick up powerfists instead. I run squads like that in my Khan list and they are quite effective. A big weakness I see with the attack bikes is that one S8 weapon can effectively kill off the squad as long as it scores 3 wounds since it will insta-kill them. Something to think about.

Now, from my experience with a Khan-outflanking list is that you need to have a steady fire base: at least two units that are not outflanking. This allows you to compensate for anything that happens that you didn't expect (incredibly late or early reserves, for example) and forces your opponent to choose what to deal with: the threat in front of him or the threat coming from his flanks. Both need to be formidable.

Just my two cents, hope it helps!

Datadep5
09-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Make the scouts bolter scouts and put then into a LS storm. Let them outflank and capture an objective, maybe even put in a heavy bolter.

Timbo
09-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Wow, 2 "mehs" in the first two posts. That's never a good sign:D I appreciate the advice regarding the fire base. The scouts are just a cheap scoring unit that can sit on an objective in my deployment zone. They can go to ground for 2+ cover saves. I certainly don't expect them to kill anything. I'm curious as to how resilient the attack bikes will be. Any melta shots at them are shots not targeting my vehicles. The tough 5 is quite good vs several armies (IG, Orks, Tau, Sisters, Necrons). The cool thing about the bikes is that they can assault (maybe vehicles with krak grenades) and are a fair bit cheaper than speeders. I'm going to try them out and see how they work.

I agree that Tigurius is very expensive, but I really wanted a psychic hood in the army and he seemed to have good synergy with the reserve nature of the list. It was mentioned that list could be taken apart piecemeal, and I agree that is probably its biggest weakness. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!