PDA

View Full Version : That thing had tentacles! - Tyranids

Yeahbuddy42
03-31-2011, 07:02 AM
I happen to love Biovores and their subsequent spore mines. I created a list around my non-conscious floating jellyfish. Watching the other player dance about with these bio-hazardous fire crackers just seems like justification enough to me.
As you may be able to tell by some of my previous lists, I am all about having some fun. But winning is more fun than losing, so any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant - 2 X Scything Talons, Electroshock grubs, Hive Commander, Adrenal Glands
2 X Hive Guard - Lash whips

TROOP:
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts - I like to think "Starship Troopers" when I make my troop selection.
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts

ELITE:
3 X Zoanthropes
3 X Zoanthropes - Tank/Transport Busting Power, so spore mines can do their work.
3 X Zoanthropes

FAST ATTACK:
6 X Spore Mine Cluster
6 X Spore Mine Cluster - Deep striking spore mines? Ah, thank you.
6 X Spore Mine Cluster

HEAVY SUPPORT:
3 X Biovores
3 X Biovores - And the peas to my carrots
3 X Biovores

newtoncain
03-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Need 1 group of hive guard instead of a 3rd group of zoans.

Spore mines to denie your opponents starting zone is interesting. Try a 1 group of gargoyles (20-30) instead.

Biovores IMO "Suck Arse". Dump them all.

Whoop!
03-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Wouldn't it be hard to play a jellyfish theme if he removed the biovores and sporemines?

I think diversifying with the hive guards is right on though.

I love the list, looks like a lot of fun to play, not so much against!

FTE-Charge!!!
03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
It looks fantastic, you will confuse opponents right off the bat by using 'unpopular' choices. Personally I think Biovores are great with their ability to move and fire (i think they can, click shoes together). That whole army is going to squeeze your opponent down into his deployment zone.

Yes to Hive Guard, they are slightly tougher in the event of a counter attack.

Yeahbuddy42
03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! It's great to see that others find this list fun as well. Just one question though, everyone is suggesting Hive Guard to replace a zoanthrope squad. I've never used the guard, what's good about them?

Yeahbuddy42
04-01-2011, 11:48 AM
I made a couple of changes, but I just couldn't bring myself to add the Hive Guard (even though) they're awesome, because they just don't fit the "theme/idea" of the army.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant - 2 X Scything Talons, Hive Commander, Adrenal Glands
2 X Hive Guard - Lash whips

TROOP:
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts
17 X Hormagaunts

ELITE:
3 X Zoanthropes
3 X Zoanthropes - Dropped a Zoanthrope squad and added a Ymgarl Genestealer for backup
8 X Ymgarl Genestealers

FAST ATTACK:
6 X Spore Mine Cluster
6 X Spore Mine Cluster - Dropped a spore cluster and added a Gargoyle squad
14 X Gargoyles

HEAVY SUPPORT:
3 X Biovores
3 X Biovores
3 X Biovores

I hope the Ymgarl Genestealers give me the support that everyone was saying I might need.

Kawauso
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
This looks awesome.

I'd love to see a board cluttered with spore mines gently drifting a random D6" every turn... :)

Bda_Gamer
04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Hive Guard are anti-everything:)...they have a fairly decent ballistic skill and can fire from behind cover
The genestealer are a nice addition and would force your opponent to avoid and large terrain pieces in his deployment zone.

I would hate going against your list! Pie plates everywhere. oh the HG also short a blast template!

JxKxR
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Hive Guard are anti-everything:)...they have a fairly decent ballistic skill and can fire from behind cover
The genestealer are a nice addition and would force your opponent to avoid and large terrain pieces in his deployment zone.

I would hate going against your list! Pie plates everywhere. oh the HG also short a blast template!

Yeah they stay away from the big peices of terrain then you put the genestealers in some terrain that they don't expect. I got clobbered one game because of this tactic. I hate genestealers!

somerandomdude
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Hive Guard vs. Zoanthropes:

Zoanthropes:

Need Line of Sight
Takes Psychic Test
6" shorter range
T4 puts them at risk for ID (even with a 3++)
More expensive
One shot (although a powerful shot)

Other than the possibility of anti-infantry (which you have plenty of with Biovores) they just aren't as reliable as Hive Guard. They're better at busting vehicles (which you need) but they have to get dangerously close to do it. HG can take shots more easily and have a higher RoF.

However, with your list you shouldn't go ALL HG, as the AP 1 of the Zoanthrope will help you get people outside to barrage them. It could use some experimenting.

I'd also like to see you make room for Adrenal Glands on the Hormagaunts so they can glance enemy vehicles to death.

Tynskel
04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Dropping one squad of Hormogaunts can grant 3 squads of Hormogaunts adrenal gland or toxin sacs. That's a pretty good idea.

I like the 3 squads of Biovores. Nothing like LOTS of pie-plates.