PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 2000/1500 point Dark Eldar army list

deldar
04-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Haven't played 40k in a while, so I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I have the following coming in the mail and I'm struggling to trim the fat on my list to get it down to 2000. I'd also like some help with what I could live without when I end up playing less than 2000. We usually play either 1k, 1.5k or 2k. and my opponents are usually SM, Tau or IG. Also, I really don't see the use of wracks or grotesques. Can anyone set me straight on them being worthwhile units? They don't seem like anything special.

Lelith Hesperax - 140

Archon. Agonizer, Haywire Grenades, Shadow field, webway portal - 150

3 incubi, 1 Klaivex (bloodstone) - 118

dedicated raider transport, chainsnares, nightshield 75

9 Mandrakes, nightfiend - 160

10 Kabalite, 1 Shredder, Splinter Cannon - 105

Dedicated raider transport w disintegrator cannon, splinter racks, nightshields, grisly trophies - 85

9 Kabalite, 1 sybarite, Blaster, Darklance - 140

10 wyches, 1 hekatrix (Agonizer blast pistol) shardnet/impaler, razorflail - 175

9 wyches, Razorflail, hydra gauntets haywire grenades 118

Dedicated raider transport, chainsnares - 65

9 Hellion, 1 helliarch (Stunclaw) - 175

2 Reavers, 1 arena champion, Blaster, Gravtalon - 101

5 reavers, 1 arena champion (Agonizer) 2 blaster, 2 Cluster Caltrops - 232

Ravager, night shields - 115

Talos w chainflails, additional CCW, replace twin splinter cannon with twin heat lance - 135

total: 2089

Thanks in advance for any help

Asdrubeal
04-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty new to 40k, but play DE, and am happy to help in whatever way I can. Just a few problems I saw at 1st glance.

Lelith Hesperax - 140

Archon. Agonizer, Haywire Grenades, Shadow field, webway portal - 150

3 incubi, 1 Klaivex (bloodstone) - 118

dedicated raider transport, chainsnares, nightshield 75

I assume you are attaching the archon to the incubi and charging in to setup the WWP. Why not mount them in a venom instead of the raider. The venom comes with free flickerfields (which in my opinion is better then the nightshields if forced to only take one or the other). If you add the chainsnares back on thats only 60 pts as opposed to the 75 for the raider.

9 Mandrakes, nightfiend - 160

The mandrakes are beutiful models, but I'm not sure how effective they are on the field. Although I've never used them and I'm a noob player, they don't look that impressive on paper, in addition I've seen plenty of posts on this site as well as many others supporting that opinion. If I needed to shave points this squad would probobly be where I'd look first.

10 Kabalite, 1 Shredder, Splinter Cannon - 105

Dedicated raider transport w disintegrator cannon, splinter racks, nightshields, grisly trophies - 85

Nice anti-infantry setup. My only problem here is with the transport. Like I said earlier, I just feel that for the points the flickerfield is the better way to go if you can only choose one of the two upgrades, however in this case, I'd probobly drop the trophies for 5 and add flickerfields on top of the nightshields for 10 pts. Yeah I know it's a net addition of 5 pts, but adding that inv. save to our fragile transports has made a HUGE difference for me.

Only other thing that jumps out at me is the blast pistol on the hekatrix. I think I would prefer to drop it as well as 1 wytch and give the squad haywire grenades.

I would almost drop one of the HQ's and spread some Heamonculi in with you CC squads. Starting the game with a pain token can make a 'meh' wytch squad into a force to be reconed with.

Just my 2 cents... hope it helps... good luck

BlindGunn
04-04-2011, 07:35 AM
My little additions to Asdrubeal:

Flickerfields & Night Shields: Nightshields can be useful to reduce number of shots from Rapid-fire weapons which can drop a Raider. If you plan to be zipping around in close quarters, they can be useful for that purpose. Add on the FlickerField and you greatly improve the Raider's survivability, but increase the cost. I can only recommend you play around a bit and see which you prefer.

Reavers: you really should decide what you intnd to do with the unit before buying the gear. Grav-talon & Cluster caltrops only work when turboing across the field. If you're Turboing, you're not able to shoot at anything, nor are you charging into combat. That means you're not using something you paid extra for.

If you're going tank-hunting, take the blasters, but I would put them on minimum-sized squads so you could go after multiple vehicles. If you want to use the Bladevanes, Caltrops and Grav-talon, I would use a larger squad (the 6-man) to maximize the benefits. Drop the Blasters in this unit.

In both cases - you don't want or need the Arena Champion, unless you want to get into close combat (not recommended) or you want the improved leadership. You can shave some points off the list here.

I would also leave the Talos at home for smaller games - it's slow and needs to come in from a web way portal to do much.

You do have only 1 Ravager listed. I would look into getting a second or plan on one of the fliers. All 3 are great Heavy choices for their points.

Wracks & Grotesques - what are they?

Basically, the advantage of these units is that they are tougher than normal Dark Eldar choices AND they come with a free Pain Token, so they start the game with the "Feel No Pain" rule. Add an Haemonculi to the unit, they get a 2nd pain token, giving them "Furious Charge" as well. With any Haem in the Army, they also become Troop Choices. They also have access to some of the Haemonculi weapons that are not available to other units. Their main disadvantages are that they don't have Fleet (so are slower on the battlfield compared to most other DE) and there are no models released yet! ;)

yrdetraxe
04-15-2011, 04:33 AM
The list is quite similar to the one I'm using at the moment. I like it.
best of all, no Spam! ;)

- Archon:
Leave the Haywire grenades at home and instead give him a Phantasmal Grenade Launcher.
Especially with the Incubis that is reaaaally helpful. Costs more, but is far better.
What else you can try is exchange the Shadow Field with Clone Field + Ghostarmor. Same Cost, Reduces your Inv. Save but the clone field can soak up up to 3 PFists or equally fatal attacks against the archon which has saved my Archon on numerous Occasions already.

As said before, I would also exchange the Raider with a Venom with 2 Cannons.

-Mandrakes:
I would cut them down to half size. 5 Man /w S4 can still threathen backfield units and side armor.
(And you save yourself 80pts here)

-Kabalite /w Shredder, Splinter Cannon
maybe exchange the shredder for a blaster for added tank killiness.

- Kabalite /w sybarite, Blaster, Darklance:
Leave the Sybarite at home. Saves you 10 points. That 1pt LD is (in my experience) not worth it
And assaulting with Warriors is something you should only do in the most dire situations.

-Wyches:
I would just give 1 Unit AntiTank. BlastPistol and Haywire Grenades in 1 Unit or, as said before, just dismiss the Pistol (saves you another 15 Pts) Put Lelith in one of them (preferably the one without AntiTank) and you have a brilliant Tarpit for virtually any enemy.

-Hellions:
Nothing to add here.

-Reavers:
Definately dismiss both champions (Reavers are hardly suited for Assaults) an exchange all blasters with heatlances. The Reavers are fast enough to get in melta range with them quick enough and then the heatlance is better than the blaster. On the small squad I would save 10 Points by taking out the gravtalon as boosting over enemys with only 3 is not worth the risk.
For the big unit you can leave them in or when there are no tanks in range to heatlance.

-Ravager:
I would give him Flickerfield as well. That 5++ always comes in handy.

-Talos:
maybe give him the TL haywire blaster. Cheaper and more effective at Range.

All in all, that should reduce the size to <2000 which is what you're struggeling to do anyway.

Apart from that, I always give my Raiders the Upgrades "Flickerfield", "Shock Prow" and "Torment Grenade Launchers".
For 20 Points you get a 5++ and can Tank Shock with Front Armor 11-13 and -1Ld which is quite nice. And what else is there to do for a vehicle after it delievered its payload of Deathdealing passengers and got his weapons blown of? Especially as not many count on being TS or rammed by a paperthin Craft. ;)

I've managed to kill a Dreadnought with my Raider by Ramming him... :cool: It did cost me my raider though, but otherwise that Dread would have attacked (and probably killed) my Archon+Incubis the next turn so it was a worthy sacrifice.

wolflold
04-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Take Flickerfields on al your vehicles its realy worth it, the rest are just a waist of points! Take at least 5 Incubi. Take 2 ravergers they can cause alot of meyhem! Dump the mandrakes, they suck! Put Leltih and unit(s) of wyches and Talos in reserve and give your archon a webway portal! Take Haemonculus, he boost survivabillaty for units. Nasty tactic is to join a unit of wyches then leave em and join another unit, this way your wyches have FNP and can move fast, the other unit the Haemonculus joins will kill something so they will get FNP aswell! Also take Beastmasters with khymerae and let them charge out of the webway to, move + fleet + 12' assault move = win, they're not the strongest unit but fast, so they can assault any unit to keep em busy until lelith or whatever arrives!