PDA

View Full Version : Newest on the Wolves?

Kanaellars
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
So come on, the Wolves are back in October. They will be in the next WD to hit.

Most armies by now we know the whole book.

This one we seem to hardly know anything.

I mean sure, we have a few rumors here and there, by shouldnt it be hot and heavy by now?

mordengard
09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
It seems to be the new thing fro GW. They are trying to hold things closer to their collective chests and make a larger splash when they are announcing. I think it's a good idea. Hopefully there will be less people playing the new codexes before they are even released.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I disagree. I think that rumors help to generate interest in the newcoming products, and this "aura of silence" they've created is ridiculous.

zanzibarthefirst
09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I'd definately agree that rumours generate interest. Since the drop pod was released I had always wanted to do a SPace Wolve army butother projects ahve always prevented me from doing so. Depsite knowing that the book is coming out the fact that I have only seen two models from the upcoming range and dampened my interest. The fact that Im short on money atm also means it woudl be nice to know whether I shoudl start saving now

Magos Bellum
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
They need to find a balance. After all, GW and most players don't want the entire codex online a month in advance, but on the other hand knowledge of different units/characters abilities vastly increases interest in said units/characters and thus new releases (unless the units/characters are pathetic). The way the current rumors are for Space Wolves we don't know enough yet to be really interested in the new stuff (generally speaking).

dumplingman
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
well compared to the total spoiling of the ork and IG books I think the mystery behind the space wolves are a good thing.

phoenix01
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I for one am looking forward to building a Space Wolves force. Nothing big maybe a 1000 points.

fleabanger
09-01-2009, 09:02 PM
any word on the new minis? will they release a plastic hq box set?

asmodai650
09-02-2009, 06:32 AM
I really hope Ragnar gets a new sculpt.

As far as rumors go, I am beginning to wonder about the all terminator force. Have you noticed that most of the artwork is based on terminators, even in the planetstrike book?

The West Coast Knight
09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
One thing we in the hobby tend to forget is GW needs to sell product on a monthly base as they are a business and have bills to pay.
In the past with info comming out on releases there were a lot of gamers including myself that would hold out on purchasing because we new sothing cool was coming in 3 4 or 6 months.
Sure this may generate interest in upcoming stuff but interest does not make money for GW sales do.
So with this insight you can understand why the new policy is to keep the info bleed to a minimum.

Herald of Nurgle
09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Look, all I want to know is a brief guide to prices and stuff for new stuff. I don't care if it's abridged with things such as 'Wolf Lord on TEH W0lf' or something, I just want to actually know.

While this aura of silence may be doing more than any amount of promotion would, for a fraction of the cost, GW has to realise that there is silence... and then there is silence. You cannot completely obscure a hobbyist into what will happen to their favorite army! Especially when you effectively terminate sales of said range anyway due to your choice as a company to remove said army almost completely, even when (compared to other forces) they are both still viable and still filled with awesome.

Hiding knowledge is as much OUR problem as it is yours, and it is why you should attempt to actually tackle your main problem - all of these 'scans' and such which are the true source of leaked material. You've started by making leaked releases a firing offence, but what next? You can't fire every gamer and their father from the store, can you? Develop some tech which stops scanning and you will not have to make such drastic measures as these.

But back to my point: you've not even released information on Space Wolf releases in White Dwarf. Which is supposed to be where you're SUPPOSED to leak information. Heck, now SKAVEN (an army which is being released a month later) has more information online than Space Wolves. What the hell does that say?

Well?

2wierd
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I understand your frustration. However, for every anti-scanning tech you research, devise, and implement, there will be a tech savy youngster with plenty of time to find a way and counter it.

Yes, White Dwarf is their method for providing information. I am sure that this month's issue (September) will have lots of juicy bits on the SW, seeing as how they are on the cover. This will give us roughly a month to salivate over all the new information. :D

DarkLink
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Look, all I want to know is a brief guide to prices and stuff for new stuff. I don't care if it's abridged with things such as 'Wolf Lord on TEH W0lf' or something, I just want to actually know.

While this aura of silence may be doing more than any amount of promotion would, for a fraction of the cost, GW has to realise that there is silence... and then there is silence. You cannot completely obscure a hobbyist into what will happen to their favorite army! Especially when you effectively terminate sales of said range anyway due to your choice as a company to remove said army almost completely, even when (compared to other forces) they are both still viable and still filled with awesome.

Hiding knowledge is as much OUR problem as it is yours, and it is why you should attempt to actually tackle your main problem - all of these 'scans' and such which are the true source of leaked material. You've started by making leaked releases a firing offence, but what next? You can't fire every gamer and their father from the store, can you? Develop some tech which stops scanning and you will not have to make such drastic measures as these.

But back to my point: you've not even released information on Space Wolf releases in White Dwarf. Which is supposed to be where you're SUPPOSED to leak information. Heck, now SKAVEN (an army which is being released a month later) has more information online than Space Wolves. What the hell does that say?

Well?

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. I know how frustrating it can be (I want a new Daemonhunters codex), but what you are essensially saying is that you have a right to demand information from GW. However, the only reason GW has to release information is for promotion purposes. Consumers have no claim to a companie's product until is is released and paid for. We have no basis upon which to demand info leaks, and as such GW will only leak information if it is profitable. They apparently decided that it is more profitable to keep stuff quiet. We don't have a right to demand that they tell us anything about their new product. We know it is coming out, and we know a few details, but this is all at GW's grace, not because we have a right to know.

As pointed out in a few previous posts, it might not be profitable for GW to leak virtually all the rules a month or two in advance, as what happened with the IG codex. Because we don't sit in on GW staff meetings, we don't know the details of the whether or not it is profitable to leak info.

phoenix01
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I just got a look at the new Space Wolves codex this afternoon. This is what Space Marines should be: a kick-@$$ elite fighting force. The wolfscouts are awesome, especially with their infiltrate rule that allows you depending on the ruslt of a d6 roll, to come in on any table edge, including your opponent's long edge. Or the Saga of the Warrior born? that Ragnar has that allow him to add additional attacks on close combat for each wound delivered in the previous turn of combat.

I can't wait.

warmonger
09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Space Marines on giant wolves? you got to be kidding me! just plain stupid IMO. They could of come up with something better than that!

Kanaellars
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Actually... having seen the codex today... I am no longer against the Wolf Riders.

I am a DIE HARD wolf player, and I have been dreading marines on wolves.... then I saw the artwork of the wolves. An 8 foot tall marine with a wolf up to his shoulder.... THAT is a wolf, and yea, they are supposed to be able to bite through power armour, and these wolves deserve to be war mounts.

The codex looks amazing, start to finish.

The artwork, the models, the rules. GW has struck gold on this one.