PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Knightwing

DarkLink
04-04-2011, 12:57 AM
After playing a game with 10 terminators on foot with attached grenade carrier inquisitor, which ate its way through a 'nid army on its own, I made up this list.

Grand Master, Psychotroke/Rad/Blind Grenades
Xenos Inquisitor, Power Armor, Hammerhand/Force Weapon, Rad/Psychotroke Grenades
Venerable Dreadnought, Assault Cannon, Psybolt Ammo
2x 10 Terminators, 2 Psycannons, 3 Swords, 4 Halberds, 2 Daemonhammers, Brotherhood Banner
3x Psyrifle Dreads
Total=1848

Simple list. Deploy front and center, and march forward. Let your opponent try to stop you.

For reference, Psychotroke and Rad Grenades work both when you charge and get charged, so either way your opponent is screwed. And use your GM/Inquisitor for Hammerhand, as they have better leadership and don't care about Peril as much.

blackjack
04-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Gun lines and mobile armies will have a field day.

Proxy this against a decent Tau List, a Dark Eldar List and a Mech Eldar List before you put cash into this build. The DE espechially should have fun.

DarkLink
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
DE always have fun against GK. But then, GK always have fun against DE. It depends who gets to shoot first. Recall that the GK list here has 3 Psyrifle Dreads and effectively 5 psycannons, so if the GKs get first turn that's a lot of dead DE.

And mechdar don't get a free pass, either. Psycannons and Psyrifle Dreads are pretty much the best weapons in the game for killing Eldar skimmers, after Hydra Flak Tanks. Just focus fire on the Fire Dragon Serpent and/or whatever isn't fortuned.

As for gunlines, the Grand Master can grant units outflank, and 20 Terminators is not exactly fragile. Even IG doesn't typically have that many high AP weapons (and remember that Terminators can spread out so much that even large blasts will have to be very lucky to hit more than one dude). Regardless, IG are one of the better armies against GKs anyways, probably right after DE.

And Space Wolve gunlines are a joke here. The psyrifle Dreads only need 1-2 turns to kill most of the SW player's razorbacks. If they get shot after that no big deal.Thunderwolf Cavalry are NFW bait. One wound Terminators could care less about how many missiles the SW player can spam. The Terminators can just waltz up the middle of the fields killing everything in their path.

The biggest problem with the list that I see is getting someone back onto a home objective. You can just move forward onto your opponent's deployment zone easily over the course of the game, but getting back if you need to is a lot tougher.

blackjack
04-04-2011, 11:06 PM
If you want to get back may I suggest a Libby with a telport homer and the proper psi power?

Yea space wolfs are not a big worry for your list. I just think 20 regular terminators (defensivly speaking) are not that tough to kill if they are foot slogging.

A smart DE player will reserve if you get first turn, even 1/2 their dark lances should be able to come on the board turn 2 and nuter your psiflmen.

Not that my crowe list does much better against them.

Connjurus
04-05-2011, 01:29 AM
I'd free up the points on the Xenos Inquisitor, maybe by getting rid of the 30 point psychic master and taking a Plasma Siphon instead - every little bit of defense against plasma helps in a termy army where you can't take Storm Shields.

DarkLink
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I have HH on the Inquisitor so he can buff the squad. It's more reliable as he has higher leadership, and I don't have to worry about Perils anymore. It saves the Termie's psychic power for activating force weapons. I could drop the Power Armor and fit in the Syphon, though.

The nice thing about Terminators is that the only long range shooting that you really need to worry about is AP1/2. You don't have to worry about blasts, since you can spread out far enough that the blast should never hit more than 2 models max, and only then if it scatters just the right amount. That limits the long range shooting you worry about to Lascannon/Lance type weapons, which are typically rare (excluding Dark Eldar).

As for medium range shooting (<24"), there are a few more threatening weapons, but GKs are the new kings of 24" range shooting. Anything that gets within 24" is getting a bunch of psycannon rounds to the face.

And if the opponent gets within 12", they're free to be charged. The high AP weapons that the vast majority of armies can spam (melta and plasma rifles) are only effective within this range for the most part. So in order to melta/plasma you, the opponent has to run the gauntlet to get to you. If you can't pick out that command squad with 4 plasma rifles with all your shooting before it gets close enough to really hurt you, then you deserve to get shot.

And as long as you can minimize damage from shooting, then there's not much that can threaten you in CC, especially considering that most CC armies sacrifice shooting in exchange.

Unfortunately, the Librarian doesn't really solve the objective problem. You want your librarian up with your guys to give them support with Might of Titan and the Shrouding, and the Librarian can only summon units to him, not away from him. And just leaving the Librarian sitting on the objective for the whole game is a waste of resources.

Plus, a big part of what makes this list work is the sheer number of CC force multipliers. The GM/Inquisitor and the Banner stack so many buffs on the squads that they laugh off almost anything that charges them. The Librarian is less reliable because he needs to pass psychic tests for his buffs. A psychic hood could ruin your day if all of your buffs are based off of psychic tests. On the other hand, grenades always work.

The Librarian would be an alternative to the GM, though, if you had the points.

Connjurus
04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Which of the Grandmaster Buffs do you think you'd be taking with this list?

plawolf
04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I would drop the ven dread and load up on some interceptors.

The GM can make them troops, being jump infantry and having the 30" shunt should alleviate your homebase concerns.

Having only PA and 1 A base, I would be tempted to give them twin psycannons, jump them into some nice cover and just provide fire support for most of the game. If you can get 10 of them, combat squad would allow you to keep 5 men in cover as fire support while still retaining the flexibility of being able to move rapidly and tie up something in CC.

DarkLink
04-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I didn't so that I could ignore enemy anti-infantry. The only targets he has to shoot at are either vehicles or have a 2/5+ save. It does wonders against enemies that don't have lots of high AP shots or high I power weapons, and armies that do have those tend to spend a lot of points on those weapons and a lot fewer on bodies so it works out.

I also wouldn't want to take fewer than 10 Interceptors, which would require me to drop more than the Vendread.

Interceptors were, however, in the original list that I based this off of. It had 2 psyrifle dreads and 10 Interceptors, plus the 20 Terminators, GM and Inquisitor. Unfortunately, I failed 8/11 armor saves first turn on them, so my two leftover interceptors had to hide instead of killing Hive Guard.

Which of the Grandmaster Buffs do you think you'd be taking with this list?

It depends. If GMs can make Dreads scoring (I believe they do, but we'll need an FAQ to be sure), then that's the go to option in objective games.

In non-capture and control games, however, I should be able to control the midfield well enough to get more objectives than my opponent, or not even have to worry about objectives. That leaves me with scout (always useful, but may not be needed against some armies), counter assault and reroll wounds. If I don't think I will need to scout, then it comes down to what sort of assault force I'm looking at. If I expect to get charged a lot, then I'll go with counter assault, while if I think I'll do most of the charging then I might pick reroll to wound.

Mostly it would be between counter assault and scout. 10 terminators should be able to march onto their objective fairly well, and I can combat squad the second unit if I need to keep one unit in my backfield so it can run back and claim my objective.

Basically, I'd answer these questions:
Will I need more scoring units, or do I need to march all my Terminators forward to kill them?
Would outflanking units help me?
Am I going to get assaulted by potent CC units?

Connjurus
04-06-2011, 09:42 AM
The more I read about Grey Knights, the more I'm glad my friend has been playing them for years. He kind of shelved them when they stopped being what he always pictured them as and started playing Necron - weird, I know - but then this comes out, and for his birthday I got him another box of the new Terminators and a Strike Squad, hoping he'll get back into it. I'm gonna help him make his list, and it's probably going to look something like this, only we play higher-points games (2,500-3,000, usually) and he has 5 less Terminators. Two Land Raiders though, and one of those is a Crusader...oh boy, Strength 5 shots everywhere. :P

DarkLink
04-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah, he could take this basic list, replace 2 psyrifle dreads with Land Raiders and get 2 5man GKT squads to put in them. That should put him at about 2500-2600.

In fact, I might consider an 'ard boyz list based around that idea...

Connjurus
04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I think the list he's looking at right now is his Grandmaster pretty much fully-kitted out, a 5-man Paladin squad (I hope...that's what I want him to build those Paladins as), 10 terminators with Justicar Thrawn(represented by Stern) 25 Grey Knight troops...dunno if he wants to make any of them interceptors or purifiers, the Forgeworld Greyknight Venerable Dreadnought with an Assault Cannon and the CCW, Land Raider "Purifier" (Chapter Approved Vehicle Design because we're casual like that), Land Raider Crusader, an Inquisitor and random Henchmen, and I think that's it for now. So yeah...lots of points, and I'm going to try and get him to do a list like this.