PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the end of the world

Desaster
09-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Aloha from New Zealand!
Born and raised in germany, my job threw me around the world to teach the Kiwis some proper german efficiency ;)

I'm in the hobby for, uhm, at least half of my life. Would consider myself as fluff-bunny, but I'm still able to create a good punch-in list.

My main army is Guard, I started it halfway through 2nd edition ages ago. Used to play Chaos and Vanilla Marines, but not recently. Now I'm really looking forward to get my hands on the new SW-codex.

Aims
09-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Welcome to the Lounge. :)

Grantavius Kennarius
09-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm also from New Zealand: I've been playing since Laserburn. I'm going to post a longer intro onto a 'new thread'- just trying to work out where you are- I'm in Dundein.

person person
09-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the community.

Grantavius Kennarius
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I grew up in Westville, South Africa in circumstances of comparative advantage during the apartheid era. My time at Westville Boys' High was marked by an inability to play any organised sports and indifferent attempts at amateur dramatics; I was more successful in debating.
After a period reading theology I went into the SADF in 1986 and served through 1988, seeing combat in Namibia and Angola. At the end of 1988 I refused orders when the Rules of Engagement were changed [as did many others]; charges were dropped when President de Klerk came to power. I returned to military service as a volunteer in the new South Africa, and saw service in townships and as part of SA and Crown interventions elsewhere in Africa. I worked in municipal libraries before being elected a full-time trade union representative, after which term I worked in museums.
I took the financial inducement created to change the demographics of eThekweni’s municipal employees and emigrated to New Zealand, my experiences having led me to believe that the prospects for a rights based democracy were rapidly diminishing in SA. I work with people suffering pervasive developmental disorders. I am an avid wargamer and sometimes blog.
I have been playing 40k since before the Horus Heresy- I started with Laserburn [which was more like Necromunda]; I have some Ancients, some moderns, some colonials and all 40k armies except Tau and Necrons- and I'm gradually building the Tau [actually Kroot].
I now live in Dunedin, New Zealand with my wife and kids- and my son is starting to play.

Desaster
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
@ all:
Thanks ;)

@ Grantavius Kennarius:
Send me a PM if you would like to have a couple of beers and talking hobby stuff ;)

Alqualonde
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't believe a word Grantavius says. He's a professional gamer. The other stuff is to subsidise his habit :p