PDA

View Full Version : Making HW/Shield Warriors of Chaos Chosen?

Vaktathi
04-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Has anyone tried making HW/Shield equipped Chosen for a Warriors of Chaos army? I'd like to build a Chosen unit kitted as such, but the models are all static-pose Great Weapon wielding dudes. I've seen a single picture of a halfway decent HW/Shield combo on the metals, but has anyone tried it on more than one dude?

Basically, is it possible really to do so with the current metal Chosen, or is it infinitely easier to just try and convert some basic Warriors instead, and does anybody have any pics of their HW/Shield Chosen?

Thanks in advance.

Thornblood
06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I've seen some amazing conversions for god-specific warriors over the years. I think the trick is to make them look that much more special than the rest of your army. Paint is a big seller here- especially if you go white. With bloodstains of course for khorne, marble for tzeentch and slannesh and putrid for nurgle. It marks them out very differently.

I have seen some warriors all with old wood elf warhawk heads for tzeentch and bull or dog heads for khorne.

Before the storm of chaos a friend of mine did a slannesh- chaos army. Big units of elf chaos warriors which were the old dark eldar warriors with the chaos Lord of Slannesh's head (the helmeted one), and the one on foots sword and the circular shield. They looked really good and there is new deldar minis out...

If you want to convert them out of the plastic warriors, your gonna have to make them look very different to your basic warriors.

Maximini have alot of head options. The head is the most important part of a model, because in real life thats where we look at someone. Head swaps are probably the easiest option. Werewolves or skull tiribe for khorne maybe? Steam knights for slannesh/tzeentch? Black Lotus tribe would make good tzeentch. Chapterhouse has lots of heads too, and the best bit is chaos heads are compatible with marine heads for more head swaps. Hitech minis have a few as does scibor...

Anyway. To make them look less like your rank and file warriors the shields may have to look much more grand. Good painting and a richer paint scheme are good, but a complete change of shape would be better.... as well as the aforementioned mini producers gw has a page of shields under bitz. See if anything takes your fancy (the old warrior ones and the vampire counts ones look pretty good).

Of course you could just put the aforementioned shields on the current chosen for simplicity. Maybe with spare hand weapons from chaos warriors or knights.

Deadlift
09-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I bought some FW Chaos Dwarf Infernal guard. They come with hand weapons and shields and I just stuck them on the correct sized bigger bases to use them as my counts as Chosen.

weeble1000
09-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Edit: I found this on the GW website. It has an example of what you are looking for.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=500004&pIndex=1&aId=10000005&multiPageMode=true&start=2

It looks like they just replaced the whole right forearm with a warrior of chaos arm.

This is just off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt.

I haven't assembled any warriors of chaos models, but looking at the Chosen models, I think you could convert them into HW/Shield models by cutting out the haft of the great weapon, using the upraised hand to hold the hand weapon (either leave the top of the great weapon or clip that off and pin in the desired hand weapon), and attaching a shield to the forearm of the lowered hand.

It looks like all you'd need to do is file down the vambrace and then just pin a shield on there. You can fancy it up by using some scrap bits to build a handle attached to the back of the shield. The guy's hand will be holding the remnants of the GW haft, so you could drill that out, insert a pin, and then bend it over into the shield on the top and bottom, or just glue a strip of plastic card or something from the top and bottom of the hand to the back of the shield. You could also add a strap with a bit of green stuff or plastic card.

You might need to fiddle with the armor a bit to get the shield to fit on there nicely, but I don't think you'd have to do much more than a little filing, depending on the size of the shield.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.