PDA

View Full Version : thrift store-Junk treasures!!

splnes
09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
ok when it came to starting terrain building for my table at home the first place i wandered into was a thrift store and found some awesome treasures. what i want to know is what treasures have others found in the world of junk and what did you do with them?

Example: I went to a local garage sale and found an old water sprinkler set and made a really cool set of refinery terrain peices. and for only $.50. awesome no?

splnes
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
some other awesome things involved using old computer parts to add onto buildings for a great sci-fi look. and an old tapedeck to create some futurelistic junk piles.

I look forward to others junky storys!

09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I just go around and find foam in places
I went to a construction site and found a dumpster with that pink hard foam, it was perfectly fine and it made a nice building.
also we got laptomps in one of my classes and they came in foam (the white one) so I got that too.

Gonewild
09-01-2009, 06:46 PM
I came across A LOT of hard and soft foam at work that I rescued from the bin. Likewise, computer components, parts etc are always in abundant supply. Free, free, free! The local free listings in Craigslist are amazing as well. You wouldn't believe the stuff people will give away!

NealSmith
09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
At Michael's stores (US) and probably others there are "skull necklaces" that have little hard plastic skulls on them. It's something like 20-30 of them. They'd be perfect for "decorations" around various chaos temples, etc. I'm waiting until after Halloween to snatch up a whole bunch on 50% off! :)

Gunzhard
09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
At the Christmas Tree Shop of all places ...I found some amazing 'tiki idol' rock statues that are perfect scale for warhammer... they are even already weathered nicely.

colkillgore
09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
The wife brought home a bag of nine plastic skulls from the Dollar tree and asked me if I could use them. They ended up on my Plague towers I built for Apocalypse games.

Kais10
09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
dollar stores are heavenly for terrain projects

terricon4
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Something that you might not think about is cups, like you get at McDonalds with soda, big plastic but great for towers. I mixed some together and have a two foot tall super watchpost now.:D

Datadep5
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
You aught to post a pic of this refinery you've made.

splnes
09-02-2009, 02:07 AM
as soon as i unpack from the move i want to post a ton of junk yard terrain pieces. another cool thing you can look for is go the the liquor store and buy a bottle(your choice) and the guys will put it into this plastic mesh to protect it. you cut it into strips and it works perfect as chain link fence. you can create custom lengths and make your own compound! keeps them nids out!

Beef Nuggets
09-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Yes pics would be good!

Let me go get the camera!

trenchfoot
09-02-2009, 05:52 AM
I'd like to see the refinery you made.....although it makes me laugh that we scrounge so much....don't get me wrong, I have an eye scanning everytime I drive by a garage sale.....Some amazing bitz out there.

NealSmith
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
OMG, this is so true!

*I pass by construction sites... That aren't exactly on the way home... Looking for blue foam! :)

Drinking straws make good piping for refinery stuff.

Also electrical boxes (the ones that go in the wall) can make interesting looking industrial buildings.

I have a lawn service that comes every so often to fertilize, etc. They leave a little "flag" in the yard to say they have been. The plastic "pole" it sits on will make perfect girders, etc. for buildings... :)

* Replace "construction sites" with "convenience stores" and tell me what movie that's from?

Rangerrob
09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
KFC has this new super large drink called the "Mega-Jug"...half gallon in size, pretty sturdy plastic.

In the process of converting 4 of them in to Bastions cause they are almost the same size as the new GW one.
:D

Aldramelech
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Pikeys! lol

bigmark268
09-02-2009, 02:47 PM
im big on the hardware section of stores myself. especially the plumbing department for loads of piping. i also use fabric snaps for those big wheel valves on pipes or door knobesque things.