PDA

View Full Version : 2x 1750 Imperial Guard - which one would you choose?

Desaster
09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm building up my recent guard army for a tournament, but I can't decide which variation might perform better.

Variant 1:

Company Command Squad
Lord-Kastellan Creed
HW-Team with LasCan
2 Sniper
Astropath
Chimera with hBolter/hBolter, hStubber

Guardsman Marbo

3x
Veteran Squad
3 Meltaguns, Demolitions

Veteran Squad
3 Flamer

Veteran Squad
3 Grenade Launchers, HW-Team with Autocannon, Grenadiers

2 Valkyries
Multilaser and Rocket Pods

2x
Vendetta

Ordonance Battery
2 Medusas with hFlamer, enclosed crew compartment

Total: 1750 points

Keep everything except the CCS and the grenadiers in reserve, then overload segments of the battlefield with incoming troops (with +1 for reserve rolls from the Astropath). Due to Creeds special rule, the Ordonance battery can outflank, too, and wreak havoc in the rear echelon of the enemy lines. The grenadiers defend my objective. 5 troop choices will help to conquer or dispute objectives.

Variant 2:

CCS
LasCan
2 Sniper
Astropath
MoO
OotF
Chimera, hBolter/hBolter, HK-missile, hStubber

Infantry Platoon
PCS, Missile Launcher, 2 Sniper
3x Infantry Squad, Autocannon

3x
Veteran Squad, 3 Melta guns, Demolitions

3x
Vendetta

2x
LR Executioner
LasCan
Pair of Plasma Cannons

Total: 1750 points

The Platoon will be my gunline, with the CCS nearby to give orders. The Executioners just saturate their surroundings with Plasma (effing 10 (!) S7 AP2 templates per turn). Veterans are mounted on the Vendettas and outflank. If the enemy force has multiple heavy tanks, I will rather employ them right from the start and use "flat out"-cover and grave chute insertion to get the troops where I need them. But with my +1/-1 for reserves I hope they will come in time even if held in reserve.

So, which one would you prefer and why?
I think the first one is more of a gamble, but more fun, while the second one is more conservative, but more reliable, too...

Kungfuhustler
09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
The second list, without question.

Lord Inquisitor
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah definetly second. You gotta have enough men!

TheStrategist
09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Third opinion: second list.

Datadep5
09-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Second list. You'll have the support of tanks.

Fuegan17
09-02-2009, 12:11 AM
maybe if you dropped a valk or2 and added some chimeras id like the first better. but yeah I like the second better also.