PDA

View Full Version : Questions on the Fow Front

Bluestroll
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
So, its two Tournament one of 3 games for $25 and the other 6 games for $50.

1. Are they are Late War at 1750?

2. Qualifiers for the LW Nationals?

3. Scoring System? Soft scores?

4. Is there a Theme or just open...

5. 2012, will there be a Doubles Tournament?

If you can add anything more, go ahead... can you also post a copy on the FOWsite.

Prince of Moskova
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Are there any times posted anywhere for what happens when (it's not on the schedule page)?

Any and all published lists acceptable including PDF's?

Mid-War Monsters being used (assuming the two day event is Mid-War)?

The Event Page says there are two Late War FOW Tournaments, while the actual registration page states that the Saturday/Sunday (six games for $50) are Mid-War. Which is correct?

Bluestroll
04-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Someone might want to communicate this on the FOW Site and people as I have seen one or two posts about the lack of information Austin Nationals. Apparently there is confusion about the Nationals and Wargames Con.

Prince of Moskova
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I see 40K questions are answered on a daily basis, any chance anyone connected with the Flames of War tournaments can answer any of the questions posted here?

Jwolf
04-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Sorry about the slow flow of information. The guys running the event and I haven't been in the same city in the last couple of weeks due to work and (my) vacation. We're meeting this week and I'll post answers to all these questions Friday.

The registration for Late War Nationals will be available Monday night. I'll post a link here.

Jwolf
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Late War Nationals Tickets available here (http://shop.wargamecon.com)

Answers to the July FoW questions will be coming on Friday, if not sooner.

Psyberwolfe
04-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Ok I'll be answering your questions. I'm on my phone so I'll be getting all the answers up between tonight and tomorrow. We appologize for the delay.

Prince of Moskova
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok I'll be answering your questions. I'm on my phone so I'll be getting all the answers up between tonight and tomorrow. We appologize for the delay.

Will the information on the FOW July tournament(s) as well as the Late War Nationals in August be posted here? I see that tickets can be purchased for both, but nothing is known about them. Are there different websites for them that have this information?

Bluestroll
05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Okay is it safe to say that Friday's tournament is 3 games at 1750 pts for Late War?

Is the Sat/Sun Tournament Mid War or Late War? The registration say MW, but other things say LW...

Thanks

Jwolf
05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
For July, the Friday is 3 games 1750 Late War. Weekend is 1750 Mid War.

For FOW Nationals, registration is here. (http://shop.wargamecon.com)

Bluestroll
05-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Will a rules PDF updated for the July Event?

Also, are they both a Qualifier?

How will scoring be dictated?

Prince of Moskova
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I still have the same questions I posted over a month ago that have never been addressed:

WarCon AND Late War Nationals:

Are there any times posted anywhere for what happens when? This sure would help determine what hotel nights are needed for those of us that have to travel to attend.

Any and all published lists acceptable including PDF's?

WarCon Only:

Mid-War Monsters being used (assuming the two day event is Mid-War)?

New Questions ...

What missions will be played?

Prince of Moskova
05-16-2011, 05:52 PM
For those interested, information on the Late War Nationals can be found Here:http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Tournaments/LateWar2011.pdf (http://http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Tournaments/LateWar2011.pdf)

Psyberwolfe
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
1. Is Late War at 1750?

Yes as is Mid war

Yes for both events.

Working on it. Things that are concrete:
Slow play will be frowned upon via scores
Small tweaks to defensive battles to encourage defender to not slow play and actually fight
Any soft scores, e.g. painting, will be less than 25% of the total available points
Sorry I don't have better answers I'm headed to ReaperCon this week and have been busy preping for that I'll get this hammered out more after this weekend.

Open

Can we get through 2011 first?

6. Are there any times posted anywhere for what happens when (it's not on the schedule page)?
Friday Late War 3 rounds. Saturday & Sunday mid war rounds are 2 1/2 hours long this will most likely be 5 rounds depending on the Sunday schedule we might be able to squeeze 6 rounds. Actual times will get handled by the scheduling folks. We start in the AM all three days.

7. Any and all published lists acceptable including PDF's?

If it's nationals legal it is legal here with the following exception.

8. Mid-War Monsters being used?

No

9. The Event Page says there are two Late War FOW Tournaments, while the actual registration page states that the Saturday/Sunday (six games for $50) are Mid-War. Which is correct?

This has been answered.

10. Will the information on the FOW July tournament(s) as well as the Late War Nationals in August be posted here? I see that tickets can be purchased for both, but nothing is known about them. Are there different websites for them that have this information?

I can only speak about the July event. Check out the Flame of War forums over on Battle Front for Nationals information also JWolf can answer Nationals info.

11. Will a rules PDF updated for the July Event?

No but any rule tweaks will be published here and distributed at the event. If your talking about the Official FAQ "More Lessons From The Front" found over on the FoW site I really can't answer for them.

12. What missions will be played?
Be prepared for anything, including home brewed missions.

That wraps up this installment next time I'll post scoring and the rule tweaks.

Prince of Moskova
05-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Thank you.

Prince of Moskova
06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
1. Is Late War at 1750?

Yes as is Mid war

Yes for both events.

Working on it. Things that are concrete:
Slow play will be frowned upon via scores
Small tweaks to defensive battles to encourage defender to not slow play and actually fight
Any soft scores, e.g. painting, will be less than 25% of the total available points
Sorry I don't have better answers I'm headed to ReaperCon this week and have been busy preping for that I'll get this hammered out more after this weekend.

Open

Can we get through 2011 first?

6. Are there any times posted anywhere for what happens when (it's not on the schedule page)?
Friday Late War 3 rounds. Saturday & Sunday mid war rounds are 2 1/2 hours long this will most likely be 5 rounds depending on the Sunday schedule we might be able to squeeze 6 rounds. Actual times will get handled by the scheduling folks. We start in the AM all three days.

7. Any and all published lists acceptable including PDF's?

If it's nationals legal it is legal here with the following exception.

8. Mid-War Monsters being used?

No

9. The Event Page says there are two Late War FOW Tournaments, while the actual registration page states that the Saturday/Sunday (six games for $50) are Mid-War. Which is correct?

This has been answered.

Now according to the WarCon posting yesterday BOTH of the Flames of War tournaments are now Late War. :confused::confused::confused:

Jwolf
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
That's an error, sorry. Sat/Sunday is Midwar. I'll fix BOLS as well.

Prince of Moskova
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
That's an error, sorry. Sat/Sunday is Midwar. I'll fix BOLS as well.

The posting from yesterday now has the Friday tournament as Midwar and the Saturday and Sunday tournament as Late War. From what you have said before on these boards I take it that the "official" posting is still wrong.:eek:

Any idea of what the schedule will be for us out-of-town types so we can make travel arrangements?

It is just three weeks out and it sure would be nice to have some clue as to what's going on with the Flames of War tournament that keeps changing from Mid War to Late War and back again. Both are still 1750 points, right? :confused::confused::confused:

Jwolf
06-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Sorry, it is apparently hard to get Bigred to understand what to write. Friday is Late War, Saturday / Sunday is Midwar. Both are 1750.

Everything ends by 4pm on Sunday, including awards.

Prince of Moskova
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry, it is apparently hard to get Bigred to understand what to write. Friday is Late War, Saturday / Sunday is Midwar.

Yeah, I see that. :eek:

The post from Wed says both FOW tournaments are now Mid War. Maybe on the actual day of the event it will be labeled correctly. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will be there but me.

Jwolf
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Thankfully, Bigred has nothing to do with the actual FOW event.

You will not be alone, Prince of Moskova.

Prince of Moskova
06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
You will not be alone, Prince of Moskova.

Excellent!

Is there a schedule anywhere of the Flames of War Events so I can meet these other folks?

Jwolf
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
We start FOW every day at 9am.

Psyberwolfe
06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Ok Generals Instead of complete wackiness we're going to tweak just a few things. I've been looking at many different systems and scoring and have decided on simple tweaks.

First Das Book is where we will be getting the missions.

Defensive Battles: Because I despise the notion of someone winning from slow/lethargic playing and a whole additional cast of other shenanigans Defensive players do not get the auto win if the game times out before turn six. If the games time out before turn six players players will use the fair fight rules for scoring which means both players will use the looser points depending on how many platoons they lost.

Notes on missions: If two of the same Company types are fighting each other, i.e. Infantry v Infantry, Mech v Mech, Tank v.Tank, players may choose to use the missions Fair Fight or Encounter (The judge will determine which optional mission may be chosen for the round.) If players can't agree they will roll off.

Scoring: Paint will be judged separate of battle points but will be used as a tie breaker in the case of a tie.

Battle Points: The victory point table is going to be tweaked.

0-20% platoon losses 6 points to victor 1 to looser
21-49% platoon losses 5 points to victor 2 to looser
50% and greater platoon losses 4 points to victor 3 to looser

This is overall platoons taken and only counts things that actually count as platoons.

Example: you have 6 total platoons and loose 2 and take the objective your score will be 5-2

Sportsmanship:
At the end of each day we'll ask you who was your favorite player for the day. The top three vote getters will be awarded +2 points to their overall score.

Chaucer
07-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Mike,

These are some very big changes to the tournament at the last minute and not simple tweaks. I see where you are going with these rules and I agree that people that sandbag are annoying. However I dont think this is the right way to do it. These rules will completely change the way FoW plays. I especially dont think its fair to the people that are coming from out of town to be ambushed by these rules without having any fair warning.

It basically eliminates any infantry lists from contending.
It doesnt take into account that the attacker may slow play to force a draw.
It doesnt take into account that of a player brings soviet infantry, it takes forever for them to move. Or anybody for that matter with a lot of teams to move will eat up a lot of time.
It punishes people that bring expensive platoons such as FV Germans or Soviet Tank Co's. If they can only bring 4 platoons and 1 dies, its automatically a 5-2. If I bring an army with 10 platoons, I have to lose 3. Therefore its easier for the second person to get a better score.
Another example is German player takes poor quality infantry with very expensive units, say 1200 points of tanks in one platoon, and the rest ~8 or so crappy tiny platoons. They lose the tanks, but still get a 6-1.
It seems that a person with fortifications would be penalized with this rule set.
It also doesnt address the problem of turtling. If somebody attacks aggressively and then loses a bunch of platoons, they could pull back and play for a draw.
So is every round going to be Fair Fight (I'm sure you meant Free For All) or Encounter? That doesnt seem very fun. There should be set scenarios for every round. I am pretty sure I am not alone when I say that I would not enjoy a tournament where I play 3 straight FFA matches.

These rules make it look like we are trying to shoehorn FoW into GW scoring when FoW isnt made to work like that. I really hope that you will reconsider these rule changes. If you want something to encourage more offense, try using the FoG rules.

Sincerely,
Chaucer

silashand
07-06-2011, 09:06 AM
I agree with Chaucer. These are major changes to the way FoW plays and I don't think it is fair at all to announce these kind of changes at the last minute. Even then it seems like you are trying to get FoW to play like GW games and that's not right. Had I realized this I don't know that I would have signed up for the event because it seems pretty darn unfair all around.

Cheers, Gary