PDA

View Full Version : An Unusual Request

blackarmchair
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
So I've gotten the first 2k of my 'ard boyz list for this year tentatively figured out. It is as follows:

[HQ]
+ Rune Priest [125]
- Chooser of the Slain, Saga of Majesty
- Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
+ Rune Priest [115]
- Chooser of the Slain, Wolftail Talisman
- Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

[Elites]
+ Wolf Guard Pack [215]
- 5x Wolf Guard with Power Fist & Combi-Melta
+ Wolf Scouts Pack [110]
- 5x Wolf Scouts; 1x Meltagun, Meltabombs
+ Wolf Scouts Pack [110]
- 5x Wolf Scouts; 1x Meltagun, Meltabombs

[Troops]
+ Grey Hunters Pack [195]
- 8x Grey Hunters; 1x Meltagun, 1x Wolf Standard, 1x Powerfist
- Rhino
- Rhino
- Rhino
+ Grey Hunters Pack [155]
- 5x Grey Hunters; 1x Flamer
- Razorback with Twin-Linked Lascannon

[Heavy Support]
+ Long Fangs Pack [245]
- 1x Pack Leader
- 3x Long Fangs with Rocket Launchers; 2x Long Fangs with Lascannons
- Razorback with Twin-Linked Lascannon
+ Long Fangs Pack [170]
- 1x Pack Leader
+ Long Fangs Pack [170]
- 1x Pack Leader

Total: 2000

I'm going for a rather balanced Space Wolf list and I think I've achieved it well with some rather nasty close-combat troops and LOTS of heavy weapons (8 lascannons, 2 living lightnings, 9 rockets and outflanking meltas on scouts).

The list is awesome at 2k but at 2500 I think people will have more disgusting hammer units that this list isn't really designed to handle well so I need a counter-hammer. Which brings me to an unusual request for the list section: using the last 500pts of my 'ard boyz army construct the nastiest hammer units possible. This unit should be somewhat mobile so it can respond well to incoming threats as well as deadly in the assault phase.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated!

Tynskel
04-10-2011, 01:32 AM
what!!!???!?!?!?? Not grey knights???!?!??!?!!!

I'd up that squad to 8 hunters. 4 Squads is cool, but 4 solid squads is better.

I am curious to why spending so many points on razorbacks. why not take two fangs with missile launchers for each squad?

you know what would be better?
list your point values, so it would be easier to check you points.

Obviously, you should buy 2 more HQs

blackarmchair
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
what!!!???!?!?!?? Not grey knights???!?!??!?!!!

I'd up that squad to 8 hunters. 4 Squads is cool, but 4 solid squads is better.

I am curious to why spending so many points on razorbacks. why not take two fangs with missile launchers for each squad?

you know what would be better?
list your point values, so it would be easier to check you points.

Obviously, you should buy 2 more HQs

Haha ok, I've gone back and inserted points values. I'm already maxed out on Long Fangs actually so I can't add anything more there. I've play-tested with this list quite a bit and it actually does amazingly at 2000. I just fear that at 2.5k (especially at 'ard boyz) the hammer units will get really insane. So I'm kinda looking for some strong counter-assault.

Sonikgav
04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Simple answer is add Blood Claws. Big mass of em to distract and dish out as many attacks as possible.

blackarmchair
04-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Blood Claws in a Land Raider? On foot? In a Rhino?

I'm looking for something to counter Ravaners, TH/SS Termiantors, Bloodcrushers of Khorne and the like. Do you think BCs are enough?

Sonikgav
04-10-2011, 02:04 PM
In my experience yes.
I havent played them much in the new book but i always used my Bloodclaws to deal with the hefty threats. Bolt Pistols and basic attacks are the way to go against heavy armour etc. Essentially if they can only fail on a 1, make em roll as many dice as you can.

I like em in a Landraider but 2 full size units would be nice too.

blackarmchair
04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah I'll give it a try. I almost feel like Wolf Guard would do the job better (they have WS4 and get 4 attacks no matter who charges) but then again my elites slots are all filled.

So I'm thinking maybe 10x Blood Claws with a Wolf Priest in a Redeemer then. I could also shield my AV11 chasis when I get second turn with the LR. That's be 500pts exactly and wouldn't be too bad.

Against GEQ: ~14 kills
Against MEQ: ~ 7 kills
Against TEQ: ~ 3.5 kills

So, that's actually a little underwhelming for a 250pt unit. It's decent but would I be better off with just terminators...?

Demonus
04-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I ran sme BC with Ulrik and 1 WG in a LR and was very pleased with the *** whooping they dished out.

blackarmchair
04-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Now if we add Ragnar Blackmane into the picture the unit gets nasty ;)