PDA

View Full Version : Starting Epic, need help with a list

Alfonzo
09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm in the process of trading some old 40k models for an Imperial Guard force for epic. Here's what I have to work with:

•1 shadowsword
•1 baneblade
•4 hellhounds
•10 Lemun Russ battle tanks
•34 stands of rough riders
•5 stands of ogryns
•6 stands of ratling snipers
•20 sentinel stands
•~60 stands of guardsmen

I also have paper proxies I can print out until my wallet gets up to speed, but I'd like to use as many of the actual models as possible for aesthetic purposes. My immediate plans are to proxy the baneblade as a shadowsword and use a proxy to get a full 3 for a company. I'm also going to proxy Chimeras becasue I know I'm going to like the mechanized infantry better than foot-sloggers. I'll probably also field some of the guardsmen as stormtroopers in valkyries, but other than that I'm interested to see what I can field. I'll obviously need either flak or fighters to deal with enemy air.

floppy
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
You can do a pretty good Armored Co.

You need about 1 more either Shadow sword or Baneblade but you can do this.

9 Rus + 1 Vanquisher 650 points.
1 Baneblade +2 Shadow Swords 500 points

You have sooooo many gaurdsmen,

After this you can do anything..

I do take Storm Troopers when ever possible, and rough riders are very handy as well.

I would also get some fighters or Fighter Bombers.
Titans are a must have as well. The warhounds are fantastic. You could pretty much do anything with the amount of stuff you have here.

Lux
09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
My advice is quite biased based upon my limited playing experience. Right now your force will be heavily geared towards a swarm approach with lots of sacrificial units rather than a long-ranged fire type army based upon what you own. That's ok, just be aware that the long ranged firepower is one of the strengths of the IG list. If you're new to E:A, then I would probably stay away from titans, flyers, and other war-engines (multi-wound tanks like the baneblades) for several games until you get the basic rules down. As it is, your current model pool only has two units that will do well vs war engines (the russes and the shadowsword), and nothing that will help you much against flyers. Picking up some hydras or some thunderbolts will be a must if your opponents start taking flyers of their own, and especially if they start taking flying transports like vampires or thunderhawks.

In any game over 2000 points I would always, always take a supreme HQ with my guardsmen. In your case, that would require picking up 7 chimeras for the group, however, the re-roll it gives is VERY worth the effort and points. Once shots start flying and blast markers get placed you're often looking at needing a 3+ to take an action, which means in any given turn up to 1/3 of your army will not do what you need it to do. Adding some of the heavy fire teams to the formation makes for a nice unit that can pump out quite a bit of firepower at 45cm range. Until you get some chimeras, you could always ask your opponents if they will let you field the unit without them.

I've read on other forums how the current trend in Europe is to have IG armies with lots of mechanized infantry units since "the leman russes die too quickly". Personally, I've never seen that happen. I normally run 1 LR formation, and have ocassionally run 2 in 3000 or 3500 point games. My opponents always complained about the reinforced 4+ saves and eventually started shooting up the rest of my force instead of wasting time on the "unkillable tank unit".

Artillery alongside those leman russes is what makes up that long ranged fire I mentioned above, and I would suggest eventually picking some up. It is best used in small 3-strong support formations rather than in 1 big battery. The 3-strong is normally enough to lend supporting fire for your army, but isn't the huge points investment nor giant target the larger formation often is. Manticores are my artillery of choice, but basilisks work fine as well.

Otherwise, I prefer shadowswords to baneblades since standard russes are just as good against "standard" targets, but few things will strike as much fear into an opponents' face as two shadowswords getting ready to open up on his titans and war engines.

Lux

Chris
09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Its a nice amount, I'd suggest getting some (3-6) Hydra, then enough chimera for a company. That allows you to get a supreme commander and provides aircover. other than that some thunderbolts for air power.
Can you make any of your guardsmen into heavy weapon stands? They are really worth it.

otherwise you can get the 'special', artilary, vultures, deathstrikes etc, at your leisure.

Evil & Chaos
09-02-2009, 07:27 AM
From your list of models I've put together a basic army list:

Leman Russ Company (10x Leman Russ) - 650pts
3x Hellhounds upgrade - 150pts

Infantry Company (13x Infantry units) - 250pts
Snipers Upgrade (2x Sniper units) - 50pts

Snipers Upgrade (2x Sniper units) - 50pts

Ogryns Upgrade (2x Ogryn units) - 50pts

Baneblade - 200pts

Shadowsword - 200pts

Sentinel Squadron (4x Sentinels) - 100pts

Sentinel Squadron (4x Sentinels) - 100pts

Rough Rider Platoon - 150pts

Rough Rider Platoon - 150pts

TOTAL - 2600pts

A standard game tends to be around the 3000pt mark, so that leaves you with 400pts left to get some more units to round out your force.

I would recommend at least 3 Hydras (150pts), and then either a Warhound Titan (250pts) or an artillery platoon of 3x Basilisks, Manticores or Bombards (250pts).

Alternatively, 3x Hydras, 2x Thunderbolt Fighters, and a Sentinel Squadron is again 400pts.

The style of the list is somewhat low quality but high quantity, except for the Leman Russ Company which is your hammerblow, able to take on enemy Titans or enemy Armour, with the Baneblade to anchor your line, and the Shadowsword to punch unshielded enemy War Engines.

Alfonzo
09-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm definitely planning on picking up chimeras to use the supreme command and a mechanized company. I'm also going to pick up some thunderbolts and a couple more shadowswords.

Thanks for the advice so far.