PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights vs Imperial Guard - 2,000 points

mercer
04-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Shaun come round with his Guard still trying out some different things. I'm proxying Grey Knights with my Blood Angels and the odd Carnifex or two as Dreadnoughts, lol. Before we played I realised I added up the list wrong and had 160 points to spend! So I quickly threw on psybolt ammo on anything just to make it up.

Grey Knights

HQ

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor - power armour, rad grenades & psyker

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor - power armour, rad grenades & psyker

Elite

Purifier Squad w/ Rhino - 2 x psycannons, daemon hammer, psybolt ammo & 2 x nemesis halberds

Purifier Squad w/ Rhino - 2 x psycannons, daemon hammer, psybolt ammo & 2 x nemesis halberds

Troops

Strike Squad w/ Rhino - psycannon & psybolt ammo

Heavy Support

Dreadnought - 2 x twin-linked autocannons & psybolt ammo

Imperial Guard

HQ

Company Command Squad - 4 x meltaguns & Strakken

Company Commander Squad w/ Chimera - 4 x plasma guns - Chimera w/ hunter killer & dozer blade

Troops

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x meltaguns - Chimera w/ dozer blade

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x plasma guns - Chimera w/ dozer blade

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x plasma guns - Chimera w/ dozer blade

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta

Heavy Support

Manticore Missile Launcher

Manticore Missile Launcher

Leman Russ Executioner - dozer blade

* All tanks have hull heavy flamers

Game: Capture and Control + Pitched Battle

Deployment

I won the roll off and chose to go first as I don't fancy Guard getting some first turn shooting in at me. We used orange oil barrels for objectives. I put mine in a ruin on in my deployment zone first floor so I could "reach" it from the vehicles. Shaun put his inside a large ruin his deployment side.

I deploy all three Dreadnoughts in the centre with several Rhinos behind them, one Rhino carries a Purifier squad with Inquisitor. On the right flank I deploy three Rhinos one is a Purifier squad. In the ruin by my objective I deploy two Rhinos.

Shaun deploys spreading his force out across the table putting both Manticores in opposite corners more or less. In the centre he deploys a melta unit on the objective, a melta unit with the Executioner and a empty Vendetta. Left flank he deploys the Vendetta with Strakken, both plasma units, and CCS. On the right flank he deploys just one melta unit.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6333.jpg

* Tactical Notes

Ok, my plan is to tackle the Vendettas first as three lascannon shots will do over Rhinos easily plus one squad has a melta unit in so if I can stop the Vendetta a melta squad is on foot easier for me to shoot and beat up in assault. I'll for for the other melta units too disabling the anti tank or putting them out of action then I'll go for the Manticores and then the plasma units.

Turn 1

Shaun does his scout moves with the Vendettas to get a cover save. He turbo boosts the one carrying Strakken down the left flank and the other across the board using the shrine ruin to block LOS, mostly anyway.

My movement turn I move everything forward keeping two Dreadnoughts in front while I peel one off supporting the two Rhinos which just come out of terrain, I'm maknig sure I have enough fire power to take out that Vendetta!

Shooting a psycannon blasts from one of the Rhinos and scores lucky exploding the Vendetta killing a few Guardsmen in the blast and wounding Strakken, they pass pinning. I fire psycannon at Strakken killing another Guardsmen and wounding Strakken thanks to a storm bolter firing out the hatch too, the squad fails morale and falls back 4". I blast the other Vendetta with the three Rhinos on the right flank but they don't do anything. I blast the other psycannons at it and do nothing, though one Dreadnought gets lucky and wrecks it while the other Dreadnought manages to immobilise a melta Chimera.

Shauns turn he regroups Strakken as three Guardsmen still live and just moves back into the crater from the exploded Vendetta. He moves majority of armour up popping smoke on all Chimeras except one, which will get cover due to LOS issues.

Shooting Shaun loads up the Manticores and direct fires the one on the right flank at the trio of Rhinos managing to score crew stunned two of them. The other Manticore bombs down on the other Rhinos scoring two crew stunned results.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6334.jpg

* Tactical Notes

Not a bad first turn seeing both those Vendettas taken out and a melta unit mauled. Another melta unit is stuck in a immobilised tank so they will either have to get out and probably get no where before getting shot to pieces or hang tight. I now have two melta units to tackle, one I just noticed (during the game) is hiding on the objective, sneaky ;)

My plan this turn is to roll a squad up bail out and unleash a torrent of storm bolter and psycannon fire into Strakken and kill the squad. I'll move a single Rhino and supporting Dreadnought up the left flank but keep them between two ruins so if Shaun wants to get LOS he will have to come towards me, these can pick on a transport. The rest I'll move up and unleash psycannons, hopefully I can get the vehicle psychic tests off with the fortitude power.

Turn 2

I cast fortitude on the stunned Rhinos and all pass and are moving again. I move the trio of Rhinos on the right flank up but immobilise the Purifier one in terrain, doh! One Rhino moves up 12" and the squad bails out in terrain ready to blast Strakken to pieces.

Shooting exposed squad blasts Strakken and co to pieces, though two Guardsmen remain and pass morale. Dreadnought on the left flank fires at a plasma Veteran Chimera, it explodes leaving four guys left who pass pinning but fail morale and fall back 4". Strike Squad with the Dreadnought blasts the CCS Chimera but does nothing. Centre flank I can't see much with the Rhinos so two of them pop smoke the other is hiding behind a Dreadnought for cover. One Dreadnought blasts the Chimera on the Guard objective but it passes cover saves while another Dreadnought goes for the Executioner and manages to weapon destroy the main turret! Right flank psycannons rattle out and stun the melta Chimera.

Shooting a plasma Chimera moves into terrain by the Grey Knight squad and warms up the plasma as the squad falling back continues to move back to the board edge as the CCS moves up. That's about it.

Shooting plasma squad unleashes at the Strike Squad along with the Chimeras multi laser, two Guardsmen die from gets hot! rolls but only a single Grey Knight left remains whose armed with the psycannon, passes morale though. Manticore on the left flank fires at the Rhino and Dreadnought scoring a crew shaken on the Dreadnought. Right flank Manticore fires the on coming two Rhinos making one go boom! Squad inside is ok and passes pinning test.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6338.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6335.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6339.jpg

Turn 3

Shaken Rhino does fortitude power and is ok, Dreadnought moves to hug the building to blast the CCS Chimera to pieces. Solo Grey Knight moves through terrain to blast the two Guardsmen to pieces. Rhino supporting the Dreadnought on the left moves back into terrain but gets grounded, doh! The Rhinos centre flank move up using a ruin to shield them from any cross fire and one Rhino shielding the others and blocking LOS. Right flank the Purifiers bail out and move up behind the last operational Rhino which moves 6".

Shooting solo Grey Knight finishes off Strakkens CCS, Dreadnought and immobilised Rhino fail to do anything against the oncoming plasma CCS Chimera. Autocannons ring out from the "Psynoughts" and wrecks the squad holing up in terrain, they have to emergency disembark as the hatch is by the board edge. Right flank mass psycannons blast out and explode the Chimera though only two Guardsmen die in the blast, they pass pinning and the Manticore is crew stunned.

Shauns turn he holds the Chimera in terrain while the CCS moves up to torrent the Dreadnought with plasma at the Manticore pivots to blast the mass of Rhinos on the centre flank. He does try to move the melta squad out of terrain but they only move 2". The squad falling back disappears off the table.

Shooting CCS blasts the Dreadnought with plasma but not a sausage! Heavy flamer from the Chimera kills the solo Grey Knight while plasmas blow up the Rhino. Manticore unleashes triple blasts at the Rhinos centre flank, weapon destroyed on one stunned another. Nothing happens on the right flank apart from the Guardsmen preparing to die! lol.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6340.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6341.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6342.jpg

* Tactical Notes

It's going well on the centre flank with the squad on the objective out the tank so hopefully I can move up and hold position then next turn get out and unleash mass force weapons. Right flank is going nicely, I can see those Guardsmen going down next turn. Left flank isn't too bad either..

Next turn I'll move the centre flank Rhinos all 12" towards the Guard objective and hope they hold though TBH not a lot there to threaten them except meltas which I will torrent with the two Dreadnoughts. Left flank I need get the squad out the immobilised Rhino and move them into terrain and use the Dreadnought to take out the CCS so they do not threaten them with mass plasma. Right flank I'll move the last Rhino up 12" bail out and unleash mass storm bolters as the Purifiers and the other Strike Squad move up and lay down supporting fire either on the same target or on the Manticore itself.

Turn 4

I bail the squad out the immobilised Rhino and run them through terrain to claim my own objective while the Dreadnought mooches forward to blow up the Chimera and hopefully assault. Centre flank I move all tanks 12" up towards the Guard objective while Dreadnoughts position to blast the immobilised Chimera holding the meltas. Right flank last Rhino moves up by the exposed Guardsmen and Strike Squad bails out as Purifiers and the other squad in the crater move up.

Shooting, on the right flank the Guardsmen get hit by both Strike Squads wiping them out. Manticore gets a dose of double psycannons losing the missile rack. Centre Dreadnoughts fire at the Chimera and manage to pop it, squad takes morale test and falls off the board. Left flank Dreadnought explodes the Chimera taking a Guardsmen in the blast.

In assault Dreadnought charges the CCS and kills one man, they fail morale and run off but the clunky Dreadnought fails to catch them.

Guard turn Shauns move the plasma Chimera out through terrain towards my objective and pops smoke, outflanking the Dreadnought. Centre flank I suggest to him he use the Executioner and Manticore to block his objective off while his Guardsmen climb up the ruin onto the first floor - now his tanks block my way and I need to take them out, plus they will get cover and it's not like they was doing a fat lot else.

Shooting last Manticore fires and just stuns a tank in the centre. That's it!

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6343.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6344.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6345.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6346.jpg

* Tactical Notes

Ok it's coming down to the wire now as Shauns objective is heavily defending by big lumps or armour just blocking my way and he has a single tank heading towards my objective.

This turn I'll bail out the squads in the centre and have two squads blast the Guardsmen while the Purifiers with daemon hammer and hammerhand will smash there way through the tanks as the right flank will lay down supporting fire. I'm going to use the Dreadnoughts to blast the Leman Russes exposed side armour though it will get cover and use the other Dreadnought to tackle the Manticore I don't want it taking out my exposed squads. That will leave just my squad to hold off Shauns tank.

Turn 5

Squad on my objective holds position while the Dreadnought moves up to chase off the CCS who cannot regroup because of the Dreadnoughts pressence. Centre flank Purifiers move into terrain to smash the Manticore while Strike Squads bail out and aim at the Guardsmen as squads on the right hold position to blast the Guardsmen with maximum fire power, though one squad gets back in the Rhino which moves 12" towards the rear of the ruin.

Shooting Dreadnought blasts the Manticore and stuns it. Strike Squad camping on the objective fires at the Chimera but it makes the cover save. Centre flank Dreadnoughts blast the Leman Russ but it gets cover and makes the saves. Purifiers blast the Manticore with double psycannons and weapon destroy it losing the heavy flamer. All remaining squads unleash hell into the Guardsmen on the objective who go to ground, they take morale test and fail but get snake eyes to move through terrain so hold position on the objective.

Shauns turn he ploughs the last Chimera through terrain by my objective, not contesting it but right in my face. He attempts to ram the Dreadnought with the Manticore as the CCS falls back off the board but the Manticore hasn't built up enough speed and does nothing.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/imperiusdominatusblog/Battle%20Reports/DSCF6347.jpg

* Tactical Notes

Ohhh it's getting nitty gritty. Shaun is right on my door step and I am right on his but he's got more protection than I have. Hopefully I can take out his armour, which btw I forgot I could assault in his turn which meant I probably could have taken out the Manticore and then next turn move up onto the first floor and smash his squad to pieces.

Next turn I'll finish off the Manticore with the Dreadnought because I can and use the remaining Dreadnoughts to blow up the Chimera near my objective even though it will get cover then use my squad to gun them down and assault them all while the centre flank blasts the Guardsmen and hopefully kills them.

Turn 6

I reposition the Strike Squads by Shauns objective to draw LOS better to his Guardsmen while the squad holding my objective moves to get the side armour of his Chimera. I try the repair on both immobilised Rhinos which both work and move, more better by my objective as the Dreadnoughts couldn't draw LOS.

Shooting Dreadnoughts empty at the Chimera it passes most the cover saves but is crew stunned though the Strike Squad makes it go boom taking no wounds in the explosion but the squad falls back, hopefully I can catch them in assault and consolidate well enough so I am by my objective, like the enemy squad sling shotting my own units into position for me. I blast the Manticore with psycannons and nothing. I blast the Guardsmen and three remain who pass morale!

In assault Strike Squad charges and kills the Guardsmen and consolidate 6" back towards my objective but it's not enough and I am 2" out. I multi assault the Manticore and Leman Russ hoping to explode them and kill the Guardsmen above, the Manticore is wrecked with mass hammerhand attacks while the Executioner is immobilised and stunned thanks to a single krak and daemon hammer.

Shaun calls it a day as he has to go and wins the game. We rolled to see if next turn would have happened and it would have. First time Shaun has won against me, well done mate and your lucky three Guardsmen! lol.

Summary

Cracking game with the Grey Knights and it really came down to it at the end. I made two mistakes in game one was tactical and forgetting about successive assaults on vehicles, doh, could have maybe tackled that Manticore and then moved up in my own turn. Other mistake was Rhino repair is done in the shooting not movement phase, not that it mattered as the Dreadnoughts only stunned the Chimera and it was the Strike Squad what popped it.

Shaun did have some bad dice but everything I fired at kept exploding, in total 6 vehicles exploded in the game and the only surviving vehicle was the Leman Russ and that wasn't in the best of shape and the lucky three Guardsmen holding out. Shaun did well his only mistake was leaving a melta unit to hold a objective as they have no ranged offensive fire power - he would have been better leaving a plasma unit on the objective. He also found out dozer blades are a waste of time too.

Grey Knights did well and I liked the Rhinos better as I can shoot out the hatch instead of getting out and putting myself at risk with Razorbacks. Razorbacks do bring more fire power but the heavy bolter with psybolt ammo isn't that awesome and I'd rather have my troops live longer. I wasn't keen on having two psycannons in the Purifier squads as I believe these are meant for combat but they do work well adding more volume of fire, plus I can move up slowly and then bail out and get into the fight. Dreadnoughts were the most valuble units in the game taking out two Vendettas, four Chimeras and a Manticore between them which is pretty cool. Also, the fortitude power is pretty awesome. The Grey Knights aren't Blood Angels but they work well and I have been looking for another Marine armour and these guys are pretty sweet!

Xas
04-15-2011, 04:04 PM
straken is fearless.

you should at least know your rules when playing mechguard :P

synack
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
straken is fearless.

you should at least know your rules when playing mechguard :P

Its the job of the guy playing the guard to know Straken's rules, not the guy playing against the guard.