PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Energy Advocates Insist U.S. Reactors Safe Unless Something Bad Happens

Brass Scorpion
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
This humor from The Onion sums up the situation fairly well:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nuclear-energy-advocates-insist-us-reactors-comple,19740/

WASHINGTON—Responding to the ongoing nuclear crisis in Japan, officials from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission sought Thursday to reassure nervous Americans that U.S. reactors were 100 percent safe and posed absolutely no threat to the public health as long as no unforeseeable system failure or sudden accident were to occur. "With the advanced safeguards we have in place, the nuclear facilities in this country could never, ever become a danger like those in Japan, unless our generators malfunctioned in an unexpected yet catastrophic manner, causing the fuel rods to melt down," said NRC chairman Gregory Jaczko, insisting that nuclear power remained a clean, harmless energy source that could only lead to disaster if events were to unfold in the exact same way they did in Japan, or in a number of other terrifying and totally plausible scenarios that have taken place since the 1950s. "When you consider all of our backup cooling processes, containment vessels, and contingency plans, you realize that, barring the fact that all of those safety measures could be wiped away in an instant by a natural disaster or electrical error, our reactors are indestructible." Jaczko added that U.S. nuclear power plants were also completely guarded against any and all terrorist attacks, except those no one could have predicted.

Skragger
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
At least we're safe up here in the SoL eh Tom? :D

Brass Scorpion
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Joel Hodgson has said that he based part of his idea for MST3K on the terrific little movie Silent Running. We may have to actually live that one day to escape all the man-made disasters down here.

As The Mighty Boosh said just a couple years ago in their Future Sailors tour, "And so Sunflash, the golden child, traveled through the star dapple galaxy. Finding mutant people and making themselves feel better with special fabrics. And the moral of the story was, the message was: even if your head has been destroyed from nuclear fallout, learn to accessorize, everything will be okay!"

Skragger
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Really? I know there were a bunch of old interviews and the like of the cast but its hard to find them. I always preferred Mike myself, he seemed less.. alseep. Some friends and myself are doing on of Ultramarines :D