PDA

View Full Version : Incursion: SNAFU

robertsjf
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Incursion's getting an expansion!

http://www.grindhousegames.com/products/snafu-pre-order-special#feature

Aldramelech
04-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Still no bloody UK pre order up yet though! Everybody else has their's...................

The Green Git
04-21-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm going to have to pick this up. The Incursion minis will do great double duty in Dust Tactics games. :)

wittdooley
04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
As a wargamer, how do you like Dust Tactics? I Look at it EVERY time I'm at the LGS.

What are your positives and negatives?

energongoodie
04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
As a wargamer, how do you like Dust Tactics? I Look at it EVERY time I'm at the LGS.

Dust tactics is great fun. It's fast paced and brutal. Any game with a defined board like this and blood Bowl etc makes you think several steps ahead. There are some interesting models and expansions in the pipeline as well.

The Green Git
04-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Positives:
The game is played on a grid, so there are no movement or LOS shenanigans.
The rules set plays very fast and is easy to pick up.
The miniatures come (mostly) pre-assembled and are pre-primed if you want to paint them but they can be left "as is" if you don't.
The started box is a great value for the money.
The genre, fluff and models are great!

Negatives:
The models do have a little bit of a fiddly factor on the walkers.
There is a limited variety of unit types in the boxed set (but expansions are available).
The troopers are made of softer plastic than the vehicles and sometimes suffer from bent barrel syndrome.

All in all the positives far outweigh the negatives. I'm happily playing and looking forward to more expansions.

Lane
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Positives:
The minis are well detailed, come pre-assembled but not pre-painted.

Vehicle models are very well done. Great attention to detail, proportion and historical feel.
Box set comes with two walker variants and three troop choices for each side, better than a lot of games. IIRC both sides have 5-6 troop choices, three medium walkers and a light walker out or coming soon.

The models could be used in any alternate WWII setting.

The back story works well in explaining the Weird War units and has room for adding other technologies. For example the Ape Suits from Incursion would fit because the Allies have less supply of the alien fuel so they use diesel powered suits for the heavy infantry.

The models are 1:48 scale so accessories and historical vehicles are readily available.

Negatives:
It's a board game, could just as easily have come with counters or clicky bases and no minis.

The game relies on data cards for stats, not sure if there is a "mechanic" or if they just juggled stats untill they were happy.

Still no idea when we will see Russian or Japanese units.

Overall it's a great set of minis but I find the game unsatisfying compared to ther tactical wargames.

I would love to see a full set of "proper" wargame rules for the setting.

robertsjf
05-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Back to SNAFU!

Look at the monkey!
http://www.grindhousegames.com/blogs/incursion-blog/3259422-this-guy-is-a-monster

energongoodie
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Back to SNAFU!

Look at the monkey!
http://www.grindhousegames.com/blogs/incursion-blog/3259422-this-guy-is-a-monster

Could you give us some info about this game?
I've had a good look at the website but was after another opinion.
Cheers

robertsjf
05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not impartial!

So, you've been to the website, you have the background: WWII is still going on. Germans have seized Gibraltar and set up a giant evil laboratory there in order to perform evil experiments (zombies, werewolves, robots controlled by brains in a jar, cybernetically enhanced apes and chemically enhances super(wo)men) vs the Americans (who have diesel fueled power armor built on technology retroengineered from the Roswell Crash) and British (who have a mech).

Gameplay: IGOUGO with initiative won mainly by bidding command points. Note on command points: they are used in turn bidding, battle card killing and as additional action points. Note on cards: Cards are there to do special things and buck the system. There is a card for turn bidding which allows the player to have the initiative. Also, once per game, the US can just take the initiative prior to bidding

Activation then proceeds with a player doing everything they want/can with a model before moving to the next. There's no going back! It's an action point system with moving and shooting and throwing grenades all costing a specific amount of "AP" (moving forward costs 1, shooting most weapons cost one, etc...) Command Points (CP) can be swapped on a one for one basis for AP. There are also cards that increase or reduce AP/CP.

That's the basics as far as gameplay is concerned, it's easy to learn and very striaghtforward. The magic happens in the cards (I know it's repetitive but it's true!). You can replay the same mission over and over and the hand you've been dealt will flavor the game differently every time, almost as much as your force selection. It would be unbalanced if not for this simple fact: you can stop your opponent from playing those cards.

If you want me to clarify anything or give any examples, let me know!

robertsjf
05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Gracie's painted:

http://www.grindhousegames.com/products/gracie#feature