PDA

View Full Version : Potential Noobs; Advice Needed

Hive Mind
04-16-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm a 40k player and I've been trying to get the missus into it, with little success. The main problem is that she's really not into sci-fi so the x-factor that got me hooked initially isn't there for her; she's more into the fantasy side of things.

I was on the GW website a few days ago, perusing the HoF and she mentioned that she really liked the Green Knight miniature. We spent the next little while perusing the fantasy miniatures and she admitted that they grabbed her in a way that 40k just didn't. She's obsessed with horses so naturally the cavalry miniatures were her favourites.

We talked it over some more yesterday and we've decided to give WFB a go. To that end, I'm seeking some advice on things. Because neither of us have played before we're not looking to sink a lot of money into two armies so I'm thinking we get 1000pts of an army each and go from there. What armies would you recommend? She likes Bretonnia (natch) but I know nothing about fantasy rules and she's never played any wargame before so I worry that if they're a difficult army to play they'll turn her straight back off again. Thoughts? If you don't think Bretonnia is suitable for a total noob, what would you suggest instead, bearing in mind that she wants (live) cavalry? Also, what army would be best for me to take to oppose her? I don't want to have something ridiculously overpowered compared to hers, in fact I'd prefer it to be underpowered in comparison. I seem to be drawn to Lizardmen and Vampire Counts in particular.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

PS. Island of Blood isn't an option because we both hate High Elf and Skaven miniatures.

gcsmith
04-16-2011, 03:54 AM
At the moment they are slightly uncompetative to play, but as a bret player myself, tho not having played them this edition, i find them incredibly fun, the rush of a cavalry charge is insane :)

Also they are safe to collect as they are due a release soon, which is backed not only by the new FW stuff incoming, which they wouldnt do, unless a new book was incoming, but also my friend has aparantly seen the new book cover, and some of the new kit, one including a 6 man box of knight which makes either questing or grail knights :P
oh and 2 versions of the trebuchet, in 1 kit :P

So this means they will soon be competative, have lovely new models, supported by fw kits :)
so a very good army to do.

Also get her to try peguses knights which are really good i think this edition :)

And a good oponent would be Lizards, as they cant feild so many squads that can swamp brets, and allows her to try out manouvering u :)

Arch_Bishop
04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
My lady plays both 40K and Fantasy with me, but prefers fantasy (mostly for the rules).

One thing that really helped was that we read the rules together. All cosy in bed, learning the rules and getting into the fluff. I think this helped a lot, as we both shared the experience and started on the same footing.

You said that you were both just starting; this is a good thing. 40K has always been an uphill battle, as I've been playing for years, and I thought her to play. Learning a new game together is the way to go.

I know this isn't really about which army to play, but I thought it may help.

Play the armies you like the most; end of story. If one army feels overpowered, take a different build.

In saying that, don't go easy on her (in game). Play as you always would, as no one likes been treated as a lesser.

Just my 2 cents....

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I too am not a expert on WFB but as a former GW empoyee I have taught many a noob how to play both WFB and 40k. The key is to start small especially in WFB cause the movement is real tricky to get used to with the wheeling and marching and charging. I would start with only the smallest of units like two core and a hero. play a lot of games like this then add a more elite unit or magic user play a few games like that and so on. step by step until she is comfortable. i would throw a few games on purpose so she doesnt feel like its a up hill battle

eldargal
04-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Bretonnians are strongly rumoured to be getting a codex soonish, they are also going to be featuring in the next Warhammer Forge book. So it should keep her going for a bit. They are a decent army at the moment, not overpowering but perfectly fine for friendly play and good enough to hold their own in competitive play.No reason why Mrs Hive Mind shouldn't enjoy playing them.:)

Hive Mind
04-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Awesome. Thanks guys.

I'm not really planning on just rolling over when (if) we play but I'm definitely going to put her in a position to succeed. Until she gets the hang of it that is.

Then I'll crush her.

cerebros
04-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Bretonnians are strongly rumoured to be getting a codex soonish

So Brets are going 40k? :D

gcsmith
04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
yh, brets are the new bt codex redo