PDA

View Full Version : Vortex what if

GrimsAxe
09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
During a Lucky 13's Apocalypse game with multiple players, the following question came up:

If two (or more) Vortexes are in play and cross each others path what happens? :confused:

Our rule sages were brought to a stand still over whether they negate each other or some other result.
(This is what happens when you multiply by Zero) :rolleyes:

The AKH
09-02-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd say if they end their move overlapping each other, they both go poof. Other than that, if they cross over each other at some point during the move, nothing would happen...

SeattleDV8
09-02-2009, 02:42 AM
No rules for it, you would have to house rule.
You could have them join into one with a larger area of effect ,ignore each other or cancel each other.

AirHorse
09-02-2009, 04:10 AM
I wondered the same myself actually. I usually play apocalypse with a chaos player so i was gonna suggest that if it ever happens a rift gets made making an extra objective that he can recycle his daemon units through if they die or something along those lines :P

Tom
09-02-2009, 04:56 AM
We've always played it than they merge into to one larger vortex using the 5" template, then if two of these touch we use the 7" template etc. Mind you we've never had one bigger than the 7", which is quite large enough!

Tom

Dbrinson
09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
i would say just have a 6d6 destroyer explosion or the like and remove both template from table.

tuffdart
09-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Just for clarity, they cannot cross paths in movement because they 'wink' out, then back into existence, they never 'move'.

But if they should meet up I think it's a really cool idea that they form a larger one.

I've played a lot of apocalypse and have never had this even close to happen, you guys are playing some crazy stuff! Rock on!

Hmm...
They are essentially a wormhole in space-time to the warp. But I don't think we can think of the warp as a singular place. The warp should have it's own regions and geography, although chaotic. So if the two vortices merged you would have an entrance with two exits. Although not much could be worse than being sucked into the warp, being sucked into the warp and torn in two might be.
Now, the warp is fluid in most it's descriptions so over time the single entrance would merge the two exits through forced centripetal inclusion (like tornadoes, they join but never part). This could in theory inflate the dimensional size of both they entrance and exit, briefly, before it lost energy and 'spun' out.

I'd say expand the size for one Turn, then in d3 Turns, it inflates into the apocalypse size template for one Turn, then poof, it blows out. Or eats the planet, whichever.

fade_74
09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I think that when two vortex grenades touch a rift in space time would open up and create a black hole....sucking in both armies and the planet they are fighting over. Game over man.......game over

DarkLink
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, the vortex template isn't a removable terrain piece or model, so I would think they would ignore each other, and go on to kil more stuff. I do like the idea of a massive explosion, though:D.

Squee
09-12-2009, 01:20 AM
This is by far the most Epic problem I've ever heard.
I'm my gaming groups' local "Rules Lawyer",
(No need to form a lynch mob, I have been told I provide an important service, and I have never tried to use "superior rules knowlege" to bend games to my favor.)
and the very concept of two vortex grenades meeting... thats just... wow!

I am so steeling the "they get bigger" idea.

"By your powers combined, I Am... one gigantic hole in space!!!"

Exitus Acta Probat
09-12-2009, 07:08 AM
I love the whole 'divide by zero' response! oh Gawds noes!

Drop the apocalyptic barrage template on centered on the contact point, roll 6 times, and remove anything contacted by the barrage rolls...included SH/GC's...and wipe the map flat (terrain). Leave the template there as difficult/dangerous terrain (molten slag/warp bubble overflow/'it's the ra-diation') and keep on truckin(straight upward vertical pull/discharge for flyers too!)

Denzark
09-12-2009, 05:19 PM
If ever such a momentous event should partake...

An instant hole would open in the space time continuum.

Looking down at the table, you would notice you didn't recognise the miniatures any longer. There would be these funny equal sided shapes - you realsie with horror these are dice such as d4, d12 etc.

Suddenly to one side you would notice an un-opended blister pack of chaos renegades - 5 of them in there - the price says £2.99...

And slowly you would realise that the revving noise you can here is a Squat warlord with Hearthguard on trikes...You have arrived in 1990 - someone is rolling D10 on a madboy chart and codex creep is a nightmare...
Or alternately you could argue that the vortex template is a removable terrain feature - so the one moving tuching the other one would simply eat it with no effect and carry on.

Or roll on the chaos doomsday device effect chart on the GW website apoc PDF - these effects are hilarious.

Squee
09-12-2009, 10:36 PM
That is an awesome suggestion,
"and suddenly a doomsday devise appears on the board... and it's active... with noone controling it!!!":eek:

Starion
09-13-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm my gaming groups' local "Rules Lawyer",
(No need to form a lynch mob, I have been told I provide an important service, and I have never tried to use "superior rules knowlege" to bend games to my favor.)

So you're not a "Rules Lawyer" then, more your group's "font/shrine/tome of knowledge".

As for the multiple vortices question, why not draw up a quick random table:
Possibilities:
They dont interact - the moving template stops short of it's move, but touching the 1st. (Think drop pod inertial guidance)

They combine to become the next template up (similar to watching two whirlpools going into a plughole join up)

They blow up - uber explosion (super-heavy critical style)

They nullify.

I'd say d6:

1: Nullify
2-3: "bounce off"
4-5: combine
6: Boom!

Xas
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd say they make love and spawn 2d3 new vortici in conctact with the parents.

if at any time you cannot place the newly spawned vortici into contact with the parental pair (only way for this to happen would be for other vortici beeing in the way) the space-time-continuum collapses.

determine the point where the two parental vorticies touch. this is forthnow called "point zero". remove the parental vortici and all not placeable vortici from the game and roll 1d6 for each one. add the numbers together. if there are any vortici within that much inch from point zero they are removed from game as well and each add another 1d6 to the radius. continue untill no fresh vortici fall into the rift.

the final number is the radius of the warp rift. everything that is within range from point zero is removed from play. superheavies/gargantans are only removed from play if they are more than 50% within the area of effect. if they are just touched they loose d3 SP/ d6 wounds.

the area of effect is impassable terrain, blocks los and cannot be flow above by fliers forever. objectives within the AOE are removed from play. if all objectives are destroyed this way the game is an automatic loss for BOTH sides.

epic bombs ftw... ^^