PDA

View Full Version : Pie is wrong, and why math classes suck

DarkLink
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
No, this isn't about pie vs cake. It's a video that I found here (http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart#p/u/2/jG7vhMMXagQ), one which presents an argument that we should replace pie (3.14...) with tau (6.28...). And while you might think this is just boring math stuff, you might watch it and think "huh, math would have been more interesting if this lady had been my teacher".

She has a lot of other cool videos, too, like how to use random scribbled snakes to explain simple graph theory.

Whoop!
04-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Absolutly Hilarious! Thanks for the ride!

eldargal
04-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Pfft, girl needs to learn to make steak and kidney pie before I'm impressed. The math bit was good though.

Denzark
04-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Maths is only of use in ballistics... and that's probably physics when we consider it. (which itself is oft described as the chemistry of the electron...)

Skragger
04-21-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm trying to remember who it was (Billy Connolly I think) who said "Math is totally useless. No one will ever come up and say "excuse me, can you point me to the Kings Head Pub?" and you'd never reply "Well, lets assume we are point A, and the Kings Head is point B, by looking at the variable X and the equation of Y its Z^14 feet X the variable M on the line to the east."")

Drew da Destroya
04-21-2011, 10:26 AM
I use math all the time! My boyz have a 1/3 chance to hit with their shootas, so I bring lotz.

Denzark
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm trying to remember who it was (Billy Connolly I think) who said "Math is totally useless. No one will ever come up and say "excuse me, can you point me to the Kings Head Pub?" and you'd never reply "Well, lets assume we are point A, and the Kings Head is point B, by looking at the variable X and the equation of Y its Z^14 feet X the variable M on the line to the east."")

Billy Connolly would never refer to maths as 'math'...

Skragger
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I use math all the time! My boyz have a 1/3 chance to hit with their shootas, so I bring lotz.

Mmm.. 60D6. I havn't seen action like that since epic level fireball!

DarkLink
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM

He might say that, until an earthquake hits the pub and it doesn't fall down.