PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help, (goblin army)

Sigose
07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Ok I just got home with the orcs and goblins army and I am begging to read the army I own 280 goblins (includes spider riders) from the base box set. X.X they shall be OMFG to paint but I wanted to know what ya think I should add in for support - I had a gent at the store tell me to get a Gaint but I only could picture my self using one of them for my pirate army (empire) Any suggestions or tips would be very much loved!

Thanks,

-Sig

Spanky Harrison
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Giants are pretty sweet.

The main thing with a goblin army is that you REALLY want to take a battle standard bearer with rowdy Grott's big red raggity banner.

The ability to re-roll panic checks is very important.

As for good units, the main thing that you will lack in a goblin army is serious hitting power. You can make up for this by adding in fanatics, giants, and squigs.

Since you have lots of night goblins, fanatics are an obvious choice.

Another fun unit that I have never been dissapointed by, is trolls. I dont recommend upgrading them to river or stone trolls, just take regular trolls. As long as you keep them near your general, stupidity isnt too bad, and they are fairly tough, and cant dish out a pretty good beating for very few points. Even a unit of 2 or 3 trolls (what I usually have) is totally worth it.

Another thing that an all goblin army can bring to the table is artillery. Spear Chukkas and Doom divers are pretty good, and also very cheap points wise.

Now, that being said, the O&G book is far from top tier, and you are never going to have a top end list from it. However, you can definitely make a decent army that is fun to play. Just remember that if your opponent has a dragon, you are in trouble, and that 5 chaos warriors will defeat an infinite unit of goblins in combat when the goblins are charging.

Randroid
07-31-2009, 01:44 PM
If you're going all out Gobbos you should look at Squig Hopppers, Pump Wagons, Spider Riders, some Night Gobbos with Fanatics. Don't forget your Spear Chukkas, Rock Lobbas, or Doom Divers if you are so inclined.

Plenty of ways to go with Gobbos. Do you like shooting or magic more?

Brambleten
07-31-2009, 02:21 PM
The most lethal orc and goblin army i have played against was at 2k, and in that was a T6 black orc warboss, far too many goblins, and a lot of squig herds and squig hoppers. oh, and 6 trolls. it also happens to be the most fun army i have played against, although it was helped that he didnt have any magic to stop flames of the phoenix killing 50 goblins and another score of squigs.

Giants i have found to just be missile magnets, especially poisoned weapons and artillery, and if they make it to combat, completely unreliable to do what they are supposed to do

Nosrac
07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Fanatics, doom divers, fanatics, spear chuckas, fanatics and a giant, oh and some fanatics
The most amazing thing about a goblin army is its ability to be fun to play even when it destroys itself

jamesTFL
07-31-2009, 04:02 PM
yeah i reinforce the super cheap gobo war machines, best goblin choice in the army

Spanky Harrison
07-31-2009, 05:10 PM
the most amazing thing about a goblin army is its ability to be fun to play even when it destroys itself

qft

Sigose
07-31-2009, 10:15 PM
I went and bought a box of black orks due to I am going to be running them as a 9man squad with an black ork warboss leading them! I am going to also have an war banner for the useage of higher leadership. ;)

way I am treating this army is a 'for fun of it' army with the still want to make the army a bit tough for people to destroy if I can.

jamesTFL
08-01-2009, 11:41 AM
the War Banner does not improve leadership, it adds +1 combat resolution. Further if you meant Battle Standard Bearer you actually only get to re-roll break tests not improve a model's leadership, you need a general for that.

VinceBlack
08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Tell me how your all gobbo army works, I have had little luck using them in blocks of gobbos or night gobbos. The fanatics are fun and definately make people want to keep expensive units away from NG blocks but I just find that no matter what I do with them, besides sacrafice them, they always betray me.

Biggest problem is that I normally run blocks of 30 NG with, musician and boss. They hit the flank which is great but end up feeding more causalties to the opponent than they get back.

Anyhow honestly tell me how if works for you because I too have a ton of the gobbos and want a more effective way to use them.

Spanky Harrison
08-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Tell me how your all gobbo army works, I have had little luck using them in blocks of gobbos or night gobbos. The fanatics are fun and definately make people want to keep expensive units away from NG blocks but I just find that no matter what I do with them, besides sacrafice them, they always betray me.

Biggest problem is that I normally run blocks of 30 NG with, musician and boss. They hit the flank which is great but end up feeding more causalties to the opponent than they get back.

Anyhow honestly tell me how if works for you because I too have a ton of the gobbos and want a more effective way to use them.

Well, here's how I run my Goblins. (and please note, I am by no means a master, or even particularly good. But this is what I do)

My army consists of a few specific components:

1) My 'core' block.

This is where my general and battle standard bearer sit. My general is a Savage Orc Great Shaman (only orc in the army) and my BSB has the Red Raggity Banner. This gives me a 12 inch radius bubble that gives LD 8 and rerolls panic and break tests. The unit itself is 40 common goblins with light armor, hand weapons, and shields, deployed in 5 ranks of 8. They still suck, but they have a 4+ in combat, and are as durable as I can make them (not very).

2) My secondary blocks

These are two blocks of night goblins with spears and shields in 5 ranks of 8 with 3 fanatics. They carry fanatics, and add meat to the army. Sometimes they even fight. These are usually placed a few inches to the left and right and slightly back of the core block.

3) Fanatic carriers and screening blocks

These are two units of 20 night goblins with bows in 2 ranks of 10 with 3 fanatics. They are here only to carry and launch the first wave of fanatics, and also maybe shoot some stuff or something. They get deployed in front of the secondary blocks. It is also worth noting that these units only have a musician, and no other command.

4) Flanking units

This consists of 2 units of 10 wolfriders. I also include a common goblin big boss in one of them, equipped with wallopa's one hit wunda, and the brimstone bauble. These are for running up the flanks and being annoying. Hopefully killing warmachine crews or something cool like that. They all have spears and bows and usually get placed on the extreme flanks.

5) Teeth

I have a squig herd with 4 teams. These are pretty great, as they are fairly cheap, and are actually dangerous to anything ever with 2 attacks at str 5 each. They are pretty fragile, but people tend to ignore them alot. Also, since they are immune to psych, they dont have to be in the leadership bubble. They get placed off to one side.

This section also includes the trolls. I take anywhere from 4 to 6 trolls, pretty much always in 2 units. These are placed directly to the right and left of the core block, as far forward as possible, so that they get the general's leadership. They will wander forward, absorb shots, and hit things

After this, I may or may not include some spear chukkas. Currently I do not, as I dont own enough to take them in sufficient quantity. And also for reason's below.

In addition, I have a common goblin shaman with some dispel scrolls that sits in some unit somewhere and casts at things.

*Dirty Tricks*
So, this army has a few tricks in it. The first one is the general. As a savage orc great shaman, he is frenzied, for an extra attack, and I give him the kickin boots, for another one. This gives him 3 attacks. This, combined with the Skull wand and amulet of protectyness, makes him sneakily dangerous to other characters, since all it takes is one failed LD check, and their dead.

Then their is Captain 'Splosions. This is the boss in the wolf riders. His whole goal is to run off and challenge someone important, and then die. Along with being str 10 for one round of combat, and doing a d6 str 6 hits on his death, he can cause some damage.

There is, of course, the fanatics, which are great, but something that not everyone knows is that if you cast a Waaagh! spell, the fanatics move just like everyone else. Which means 2d6 inches directly towards the nearest enemy.

Also, dont be afraid to throw fanatics through your own units. You can *always* afford the casualties more than them.

Anyway, thats pretty much the army I play (when I play ><)

Sigose
08-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Love the tips and tricks, >;D that will help me in my 750 battle I gotta do in two weeks, and I got a 1500 this coming sunday. So prep work is needed for me. xD

Laterz man

VinceBlack
08-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, here's how I run my Goblins. (and please note, I am by no means a master, or even particularly good. But this is what I do)

My army consists of a few specific components:

1) My 'core' block.

This is where my general and battle standard bearer sit. My general is a Savage Orc Great Shaman (only orc in the army) and my BSB has the Red Raggity Banner. This gives me a 12 inch radius bubble that gives LD 8 and rerolls panic and break tests. The unit itself is 40 common goblins with light armor, hand weapons, and shields, deployed in 5 ranks of 8. They still suck, but they have a 4+ in combat, and are as durable as I can make them (not very).

2) My secondary blocks

These are two blocks of night goblins with spears and shields in 5 ranks of 8 with 3 fanatics. They carry fanatics, and add meat to the army. Sometimes they even fight. These are usually placed a few inches to the left and right and slightly back of the core block.

3) Fanatic carriers and screening blocks

These are two units of 20 night goblins with bows in 2 ranks of 10 with 3 fanatics. They are here only to carry and launch the first wave of fanatics, and also maybe shoot some stuff or something. They get deployed in front of the secondary blocks. It is also worth noting that these units only have a musician, and no other command.

4) Flanking units

This consists of 2 units of 10 wolfriders. I also include a common goblin big boss in one of them, equipped with wallopa's one hit wunda, and the brimstone bauble. These are for running up the flanks and being annoying. Hopefully killing warmachine crews or something cool like that. They all have spears and bows and usually get placed on the extreme flanks.

5) Teeth

I have a squig herd with 4 teams. These are pretty great, as they are fairly cheap, and are actually dangerous to anything ever with 2 attacks at str 5 each. They are pretty fragile, but people tend to ignore them alot. Also, since they are immune to psych, they dont have to be in the leadership bubble. They get placed off to one side.

This section also includes the trolls. I take anywhere from 4 to 6 trolls, pretty much always in 2 units. These are placed directly to the right and left of the core block, as far forward as possible, so that they get the general's leadership. They will wander forward, absorb shots, and hit things

After this, I may or may not include some spear chukkas. Currently I do not, as I dont own enough to take them in sufficient quantity. And also for reason's below.

In addition, I have a common goblin shaman with some dispel scrolls that sits in some unit somewhere and casts at things.

*Dirty Tricks*
So, this army has a few tricks in it. The first one is the general. As a savage orc great shaman, he is frenzied, for an extra attack, and I give him the kickin boots, for another one. This gives him 3 attacks. This, combined with the Skull wand and amulet of protectyness, makes him sneakily dangerous to other characters, since all it takes is one failed LD check, and their dead.

Then their is Captain 'Splosions. This is the boss in the wolf riders. His whole goal is to run off and challenge someone important, and then die. Along with being str 10 for one round of combat, and doing a d6 str 6 hits on his death, he can cause some damage.

There is, of course, the fanatics, which are great, but something that not everyone knows is that if you cast a Waaagh! spell, the fanatics move just like everyone else. Which means 2d6 inches directly towards the nearest enemy.

Also, dont be afraid to throw fanatics through your own units. You can *always* afford the casualties more than them.

Anyway, thats pretty much the army I play (when I play ><)

Thank you for the pointers, much appreciated.

Blaznak
09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
My question is, Is an all Gobbo army viable? Is it a worthy contender, or more for fun?

DeanWink
09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I have found that Night Goblins work best in groups of about 25 or so. You can simply outnumber your opponent to win the battle and 25 lets them stay around for a while. Also, even just 1 fanatic somewhere in your army will have your opponent think twice about charging Night Goblins.

VinceBlack
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
My question is, Is an all Gobbo army viable? Is it a worthy contender, or more for fun?

I have heard alot about people running armies of gobbos, I guess it can be done. I personally wouldn't do it, I like to just run them as support and let the orc's carry the burden of winning games.

Gilean1
09-02-2009, 04:55 PM

The list posted by Spanky has seen the light of day at several tourneys. Its got some fight to it but not very much. I've lost to it with my Daemon army. I admit though that i made several mistakes that cost me the game.

Goblins can be fun to play. but they are a horde army and can be run off with some bad panic rolls.

Yazza
09-03-2009, 02:42 AM
squig are cool and a nice way to throw some colour in the table

undeadgoblin
09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Goblins get an awesome monster killer. Take a Night Goblin Big Boss, on great cave squig, with armour, tricksy trinket and the one hit wunda. He gets (normally) 3 str 4 and 3 str 5 attacks that ignore ward saves, and for one round of combat, 3 str 10 and 3 str 5. He is immune to pyschology so doesn't have to worry about charging feart causers, and can charge through terrain and can see 360 degrees. This guy, in the 2 games i've used him, has killed a deamon prince and a slann (with 10 temple guard).

Aldramelech
09-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I really don't understand why people are so down on them, I love them! I don't own any (one day I'll get round to it!) but every time I've watched someone play with them, they've won. I think their hugely versatile and comic genius to boot!
I challenge anyone not to have a fun game playing with or against them.