PDA

View Full Version : Funny question for old players

Kahoolin
09-02-2009, 04:33 AM
Way back when I was a little tacker I bought a copy of White Dwarf which had an ad in the back for Warhammer Records. Apparently this was a GW owned record label with (from what I can remember) two bands, Bolt Thrower and some other guys. My mates and I really wanted to get hold of the tapes(!) of these, but being in Australia we never did.

Does anyone else remember this bizarre state of affairs? Did anyone actually buy these albums? They had kick *** pictures of Space Marines on the front, or maybe one of them had some Chaos warriors or something. I can't tell what is legitimate memory and what is uh... made up in my mind.

My question is: Did Bolt Thrower ROCK!?

Johan
09-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Bolt thrower rocks, but they were never on a label owned by GW, they did use Realms of Chaos as one of their album covers. Later on GW copyright stopped Bolt Thrower from writing more warhammer themed songs. They are one of the first death metal acts and their recording an album as we speak. Definetly a band to check out.

krispy
09-02-2009, 04:58 AM
the other band was called D-Rok, they had one album and brian may played guitar for some songs, i has the LP ;) hehe
heres a linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Rok_%28band%29

Shadow Queen
09-02-2009, 05:16 AM
A former friend pinched my tape.

beakie
09-02-2009, 05:33 AM
WD 95 (Nov. '87) actually came with a 45 RPM record by Sabbat included, a song specially written for WD called "Blood for the Blood God". They were on Noise Records.

- old player

trenchfoot
09-02-2009, 05:35 AM
I have a copy of bolt thrower that a guy gave our whole league for christmas years ago......horrible stuff, but the idea is great. Warhammer should infiltrate all aspects of society....

Iquisitorial chewing gum-to mask the secret drink or two, etc, etc

zed
09-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Remember that too. Friend of mine still has them. Not really my kind of music but I'm pretty that's on one of the records the phrase 'Noise Marines' was first heard.

scadugenga
09-02-2009, 05:41 AM
I remember Bolt Thrower--but not D Rok.

oni
09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
I can only say I've heard of Bolt Thrower, but never associated them with anything GW.

JamesP
09-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Remember that too. Friend of mine still has them. Not really my kind of music but I'm pretty that's on one of the records the phrase 'Noise Marines' was first heard.

I think you're right. I had the flexi-disc-record-thing and I vaguely remember Bolt Thrower singing/ shouting "here come the Noise Marines"

Scary to think that was back in 87!

ebolazaire
09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
A local record store had a copy of a Bolt Thrower album on CD.
Unfortunately the stupid shop had closed down when I managed to make it back there with cash to pick it up.
:(

Ulag Grimskar
09-02-2009, 08:07 AM
To first answer KahoolinŽs question: Yep, Bolt Thrower definitley ROCKed whole skyscrapers to shreds at that time, their sound is somewhat oldschool nowadays, though IMHO.

And yes, they used Marines on an album cover, they had also another one with an Imperial Guard sniper on it, if I recall correctly. Friend of mine has both these albums, I`ll see if I can find him and the stuff when IŽm back home...maybe a month or two to wait....

At that time, I thought the Noise Marine bit was quite cool though a little weird, but IŽd never thought those guys would ever be made metal (pun intended;))

Well, I for one would like to hear more stuff like that, and find the idea of GW pulling off a record label for Warhammer-oriented or -influenced music quite cool!

Check out Blind Guardian for more Tolkien-esque lyrics....also had Warhammer-stuff on their earlier albums.

Zaklifean
09-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah I remember those guys. They are still around, but yeah, GW put a nix on their WH themed stuff

Funkenschlag
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I think you're right. I had the flexi-disc-record-thing and I vaguely remember Bolt Thrower singing/ shouting "here come the Noise Marines"

Scary to think that was back in 87!

Just a minor point but it was D-Rok who sang "Here come the Noise Marines"

"Here come (duh-duh-duh), here come (duh-duh-duh, here come the Noise ma-rines." There was a notable pause between 'ma' and 'rines' in the last word of the lyric. They rocked so hard it was scary. My brother had the tape and that's pretty much the only song I remember from it. I'll try and dig it out some time and wonder what the hell I was thinking/they were smoking back then. Good times. :p

Gotthammer
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
You can hear part of D-Rok's 'Get Out of My Way' at the start of the Space Hulk PC game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTYzcMgJeI0).

gwensdad
09-02-2009, 01:45 PM
NOT speaking from experience but I've ONLY HEARD that you can find Boltthrower by "other means" (read: illegal) internet sites. But I didn't tell you that. They may have a website that you can get their albums from. And they SPEED METAL ROCK!

I looked it up update: They are on the US Itunes store. It's possible that Amazon may have them as well.

Interesting side-note: They are one of the very few Death-Speed-Rock groups that has a female bassist.

MaidenManiac
09-02-2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wb1mHy9i30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HroEimgWzw&feature=related

Youtube is your friend here! IIRC Bolt Thrower paid a huge amount of cash for royalties for using the Crimson Fist last stand as album cover and its taken them ages to make cash on that album:p

Zaklifean
09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Check out Blind Guardian for more Tolkien-esque lyrics....also had Warhammer-stuff on their earlier albums.

There is lots of "fantasy" metal besides just BG. Hammerfall, Rhapsody of fire, Edguy, The Storyteller, Avantasia, Stratovarius (in an elements kind of way), even Helloween has some "fantasy" style songs, and old Nightwish (elvenpath, etc.). Then you have the Viking metal, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, bands like that. Most of it is Euro metal, but its all damn good stuff.

Shadowseer
09-03-2009, 12:58 AM
theres a new band now called Deburchery and one of there songs is Blood for the blood god, you should check it out it's on youtube

miteyheroes
09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I've still got Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness album lying around somewhere. Very odd stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_of_Chaos_(album)