PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings Hierotitan

Albavar
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I know that the Hierotitan adds D3 to the casting roll of any spell that Liche Priests cast when close to it. Would these points prevent the fizzle on any natural dice roll of 1 or 2? If so, then some of the low end stuff could be cast on a single die to get more mileage.
I'm just uncertain since it is a D3 rolled rather than a straight bonus.

Calgar33
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
No it would not prevent it, p32 BRB under "Not Enough Power!" The dice roll has to be at least a natural 3, the D3 bonus' only counts towards the total power of the cast.

dragoon161523
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I would have to see the exact wording of the heirotitan. Reason being is a slann with focus rumination adds a free d6 to each casting roll and it DOES prevent fissle. So if it adds d3 to the casting roll then yes it will prevent fissle. Not enough power states no bonus can prevent this...however if it adds a d3 to the roll it is not a bonus, but becomes part of the dice total just like the extra die from focused rumination.

Albavar
04-29-2011, 11:53 PM
The two of you have exactly stated the two sides as I see it.

Nosmo75
04-30-2011, 04:48 AM
What are Hierotitans? O_o

I haven't had a chance to have a gander at the Tomb Kings army book, and there was no mention of them in the new White Dwarf (although a couple of the artwork pieces may have depicted Hierotitans).

gcsmith
04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Ahh if it says d3 to casting roll then no wont stop if it says a free d3 the yes it would since it could take the natural roll above 3

Albavar
05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
My memory seems to think that what it said was any friendly Liche Priest within 12" rolls an extra D3 to all spell casting attempts.

Wildeybeast
05-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Hierotitans add "+D3 to the casting result of each spell". This means it adds to the RESULT of the dice roll, it does not add an extra dice to the original casting attempt, so you need to roll 3+, then you can add your D3.

Albavar
05-05-2011, 05:41 AM
I agree. I got my book last night and checked the wording. Disappointed but not surprised. Was really hoping it would make some one die casts a little safer.

Chronowraith
05-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree. I got my book last night and checked the wording. Disappointed but not surprised. Was really hoping it would make some one die casts a little safer.

In many ways it's a moot point since all of the TK spells require a 7+ to cast. That means you you'll need a 3+ on a single die in order to successfully complete the casting of even the lowest casting cost value with a level 4 caster. So even if rolled a 3 on your casting roll a d3, of any variety, isn't going to help you as you'll still fail to cast the spell and end your magic phase. One die castings just are not viable for TK.

Obviously this doesn't apply to casters using Lore of Death or Lore of Life which have casting values below 7+.

I played a test game with the new TK book today (TK vs. Warriors of Chaos) using a Lich high priest and two ordinary priests. In an attempt to try out different magic to see what worked and what didn't I took my lich high priest with the TK Lore and the ordinary priests took the other lores.

Result? The High Priest did phenomenal. The TK augments and the hex spell really are fantastic spells and the signature spell and attribute are AMAZING when powered up. Lore of Light was mediocre but that might have just been the spell selection Light of Battle was worthless for me and Speed of Light was dispelled every time I try to cast it. Lore of Death was... interesting. Soulblight proved useful as my opponent would often let it go and then not have enough power dice to stop me casting desiccation on it later in the magic phase. Dreadknight was a fun and relatively painless way of having random units cause terror in the army.

Death has a lot of synergy with the Nehekharen lore and the TKs themselves. Lore of Light I see as being useful *IF* you roll specific spells. Birnoa's Timewarp + Righteous Smiting on Tomb Guard is just wrong (3 attacks ea w/ ASF and the usual killing blow = fun). A shame you can't use the signature spell to charge though :(

Overall the book played very well and I pulled out a narrow victory (largely due to some lucky rolling with killing blow).