PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck to the Newlyweds.

Necron2.0
04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Congratulations to Prince William and Kate Middleton. I must confess, though. Back in 1993 when news came out that Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan was getting married, I had this impish hope that he and his Princess would immediately have a daughter. I imagined the young princess might eventually go to school in England, fall in love with a young British royal, and together they'd lay the foundation of the Nisso-Anglican Empire.

Skragger
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Ah! And what a wedding it was! As a loyal servant of the Commonwealth, I woke up at 5AM (to account for timezone differences), turned on my invitation, and promptly fell back asleep on the couch. Woke up about 3 hours late for work.

Who knew "I was watching the wedding" was a valid excuse for being late! :D

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
People actually care about the scion of unelected spongers getting married? All the crap going on in the world; conflicts raging, economies crashing, upcoming elections in Canada, voting-reform referendums in Blighty, civil liberties being snatched left, right and centre and people choose to invest in the wedding of an anachronism.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Grailkeeper
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I was there. Took pictures too, mind you thery're terrriblle pics so I won't put them up. The RAF honour guard where I was standing (whitehall, just at the entrance to downing st) were the image of Mordians.

DrLove42
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I watched it on Tele...glad i'm not having a church wedding next year...don't fancy all the Hymning...

You can say that there shouldn't be all the fuss over it when theres so much else going on...maybe to a certainextent you have a point (8 of the 10 top BBC news stories today were about the wedding). Where the brides dress came from shouldn't be on the news over the storm in america, or the wars in Libya

But you can say the exact same thing about the Football. Or what some Z list celebrity has done to make a few quid in the spotlight. And these frequently make the "news".

And frankly I'd rather read/watch the wedding, the national pride and patriotism and feel proud to be a Brit, than hear about what some Football managers complaining about, or Jordan's new wedding plans

(For our international bretheren...Jordan is a skank famous for being a untrustworthy Skank...imagine Paris Hilton, who used to be a glamour model, has 3 kids by 3 guys, marries and divorces people faster than I can change my socks and is willing to say or do anything to sell a story to some tabloid)

Skragger
04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I can see why the wedding has been given so much coverage. When we look at the news these days its all "War in Zanzibar kills 400 children" and "storm in Japan melts anime factory" and "economic in crisis cuts executive wages by 0.5%, 1,000 laid off to recouperate losses". Its very grim news, here in Canada, a recent study showed that stress, and depression were at an all time high, and while some of it is people jumping on the "mental health, I'm totally stressed, cause like, jersey shore sucked last night" bandwagon, a lot of it is more serious.

This is a very fluffy distraction. They're saying 'Look! There is still good in this world! There's still love, and hugging, and kissing, and princesses getting married! Its something to make people turn the grimdark off and look at something bright and happy.

I think its good, is it something that's worth all the pomp and circumstance? No. Is it what we needed right now? Definitly. :)

Col.Gravis
04-29-2011, 01:44 PM
People actually care about the scion of unelected spongers getting married?

Yes they do, no body does pageantry like we Brits, a good day I'd say, celebrating both the wedding and our heritage.

glad i'm not having a church wedding next year...don't fancy all the Hymning...

Kind of hear you, mines 53 weeks yesterday, but there is something nice about the tradition, we've gone for the church on balance not because we're religious but because it feels right.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 01:51 PM
But you can say the exact same thing about the Football. Or what some Z list celebrity has done to make a few quid in the spotlight. And these frequently make the "news".

And I do say the exact same thing about other non-issues. Humanity disappoints me greatly.

And frankly I'd rather read/watch the wedding, the national pride and patriotism and feel proud to be a Brit, than hear about what some Football managers complaining about, or Jordan's new wedding plans

Watching a member of the (German/Greek) royal family get married makes you feel patriotic? Because they live in London? I've had falafel that's more authentically British than the royals are.

One more year in this cess-pit and I'm free to escape. Literally counting down the days.

DrLove42
04-29-2011, 01:52 PM
We found churchs to be a bit pricy...and we couldn't settle on one! So simple registry office it is. Its the day before UK Gamesday next year, so it'll be the first year in 5 i haven't gone to....

And yeah we need the happiness! The whole worlds largely gone to **it so a nice day away from the grim realisation that we're all screwed is nice.

And hey! Extra day off work!

They also reckon that the Duchess of Cambridge and the marridge is likely to bring more money to the country than the entire Olympics will

Col.Gravis
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Watching a member of the (German/Greek) royal family get married makes you feel patriotic? Because they live in London? I've had falafel that's more authentically British than the royals are.

Authentically British? You mean Anglo-saxon? Celtic? Norman? Norse? Or perhaps something more recent? From the earliest times we're rather a mixed lot don't you think? They are our Royal Family. End of.

One more year in this cess-pit and I'm free to escape. Literally counting down the days.

Well don't let the door hit you on the way out eh?

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Authentically British? You mean Anglo-saxon? Celtic? Norman? Norse? Or perhaps something more recent? From the earliest times we're rather a mixed lot don't you think? They are our Royal Family. End of.

Any of those things. Not German would be a start. Not that I have anything at all against modern Germans, I'd certainly rather live there than here; my point is only that these people are not British by any definition of the word.

They are a bunch of people who by nothing more than an accident of birth are consuming taxes at a ferocious rate and contributing nothing of any real value to our society. A throwback to darker times is all they are. France had the right idea.

Now if you're a sponging toff living off the sweat of the workers too I can see why you'd defend them. If you have to work a 9-5, as I'd guess you do since you seem happy with the day off, then I can fathom no reason at all for you to cheer them. Other than a sense of patriotism (an incredibly old-fashioned ideal which is merely state-sponsored xenophobia) inspired by Germans. A certain irony there, no?

I wonder how much today's little jaunt cost? I wonder how many nurses, police officers, teachers et al it would have paid for? Do you know what HM's personal fortune is? Guess how much of it she actually earned? Clue; it starts with Z and rhymes with 'hero'.

Necron2.0
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Come now, Hive. You're not going to begrudge the Brits the opportunity to take an extended 10 day holiday, are you? :)

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Come now, Hive. You're not going to begrudge the Brits the opportunity to take an extended 10 day holiday, are you? :)

For the record, I am British. My entire family is, going back well over three hundred years.

Which is more than can be said for the royal family...

DrLove42
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
You can't say you don't feel British...you have an unusuall dislike of the germans...thats in our genes....

You do know the royal family brings more money in in tourism than they cost right?

And that them acting as international ambassadors and delegates help international relations, benefits, charities the world over?

And frankly the fact you have no national pride is sad. THATS the problem in modern life,,,

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
You can't say you don't feel British...you have an unusuall dislike of the germans...thats in our genes....

I have nothing against modern Germans. I said as much in my previous post.

You do know the royal family brings more money in in tourism than they cost right?

I do know that royalists like to bandy this around even though there's absolutely no evidence that it's true.

And that them acting as international ambassadors and delegates help international relations, benefits, charities the world over?

Yeah, Prince Andrew does an admirable job. Wait...

And frankly the fact you have no national pride is sad. THATS the problem in modern life,,,

What's to take pride in? Our history of imperialism and brutal repression of native populations? Our bloody occupation of Ireland? Our so-so economy? The rise of extremist far-right politics? Our government's crack-down on civil liberties and opposition to fundamental rights? Our feeble-minded obsession with the shallow and superficial? Our crime-rates; the highest in Western Europe? Our rates of teenage pregnancy; again the highest in Western Europe? Our rates of drug use? The fascist bully-boys who call themselves our police force? Our pomposity? Our refusal to let go of outmoded traditions? Our unaccountable res judicata courts? Our unelected and unaccountable 'other' house of parliament? Our willingness to bend over and take whatever the upper classes want to give us? Our pathetic sports teams? Our unbending desire to side with the U.S, no matter what? Our crumbling infrastructure? Our institutionalised racism? Our history of internecine wars? Our habit of clinging to a past long-gone? Our need to be bailed out of two world wars?

I have pride and a great deal of affection for a nation that deserves it, a nation that I will be joining next summer; Canada. A nation on the rise, not a nation that is dying and too stupid to realise it.

Gotthammer
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Looks like somebody didn't get an invite :p

Necron2.0
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
For the record, I am British. My entire family is, going back well over three hundred years.

Which is more than can be said for the royal family...

Ok, well, then you're not going to begrudge the other Brits the opportunity to take a 10 day holiday for the cost of 4, are you?

And, for the record, I'm every bit the mongrel Hitler claimed all us Yanks are. I'm English, German, Spanish and Native American in equal proportions. So, fundamentally, I don't care what anyone does, but spectacle is always fun.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I forgot one thing; the NHS. That is something the British can be proud of, despite the electorate implicitly voting to dismantle it at the last election.

Grailkeeper
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Half Irish, half Norhern Irish (which technically makes me 1/4 British)

My Great Grandfather was nearly beaten to death by servants of the Crown. I was still waving a flag at the parade (mandatory Irish guilt trip bit there, did happen tho)

If you need any proof that the royals bring in a fortune just look at the crowds every day outside Buck house. They bring in a fortune.

I've heard over two billion people watched the wedding, I've no Idea if its true, but this was certainly a fantastic advertisement for britain- how many people would watch if a Spanish or dutch prince was to get married relatively few. This will make the money back, eventually, tought it may be hard to prove directly. If I were English I'd be far more annoyed at the up coming Olympics.

Off topic, but Seeing as you're posting here : Col Gravis, Why y u no update your harker squad? Kthxsby

Col.Gravis
04-29-2011, 03:04 PM
<SNIP>Rambling Rant</SNIP>

British Definition - see my previous post. Key point regarding 'German'. Anglo-saxon.

Accident at birth? That's a very crude way of saying it, though essentially true. The same could be said for any of us though, by far the majority of the world are born into the third world. We are all fortunate by the manner of our birth to some extent or another, thats life, it is not 'fair'.

Do they add value to our society? That depends entirely on your values. I would suggest yours sound as if they are based upon possession and monetary value. A very sad fact for which I pity you. Personally I find there is far more to life.

Part of our history, a throwback? Definitely. Does that make something bad? I fail to see why, you ought to explain that point.

I'm a 9-5 worker in School Support Staff currently, working towards becoming a teacher as it happens yes, working class essentially if you prefer to think of fit that way. So why cheer them? Patriotism, yes. Which despite your cynical view I think is still admirable, I am proud to be British, proud of our culture, traditions, heritage. Are we perfect as a nation, not by any means, currently or historically, but then no nation in the world can claim to be so whether they have a comparable Monarchy or are a Republic.

How much did today cost. Alot. The ceremony itself was paid for by the parents, the Middletons and Price Charles (whose Estate contributes considerably to the economy I might add), a fact many are quite happy to over look. We did pay for security granted.

The quesstion of the monetary value of the monarchy is one which is open to debate. Tourism is undoubtedly a factor in their favour. It can be argued that this would remain with or without the Monarchy - but even then we would still be paying out for the upkeep of the properties and estates which makes the difference negliable, especially when you factor in the likely maintenance of a President or similar figure and the elections which would be required in such an instance. Cost is a very iffy argument either for or against, my feeling is there would be very little difference to the economy with or without them.

The real argument for and against Monarchy really relates to personal preference between the idea of a constitutional monarchy as compared to a republic, and on the value of heritage and tradition.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 03:06 PM
If you need any proof that the royals bring in a fortune just look at the crowds every day outside Buck house. They bring in a fortune.

That isn't proof. Not by a long shot.

What do you consider 'a fortune'? £20m? £30m? £40m? Certainly is a fortune to me. The last Civil List cost us, IIRC, over £60m. I'm not doubting that the royals bring money into the country, I dispute that they bring more than they cost.

It's hardly likely that tourists would fail to come if we didn't have them either. Millions still flock to the Palace of Versailles every year.

Col.Gravis
04-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I have pride and a great deal of affection for a nation that deserves it, a nation that I will be joining next summer; Canada. A nation on the rise, not a nation that is dying and too stupid to realise it.

Their loss is our gain I guess :D

Grailkeeper, my Harker squad? I don't think I have one lol

Grailkeeper
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Is it not your site that has the lovely, harker squad featuring greenstuff capes and greenstuff berets? maybe I'm getting you confused with one of hte other blogs

Col.Gravis
04-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I fear you are, I think I know the one you mean, but I can't remember off the top of my head which blog it is.

That said I've just finished my Zombie Apocalypse Kill Team which might take your fancy when I post it, finished thanks to an extra day off ;)

DrLove42
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Um...don't Canada support the Royal Family as well?

And you say you have pride for a different nation? Not 2 pages back you said National pride was cultural xenophobia!

Now all respect to the Native Americans...but the US has what? 400-500 years of history? Theres a reason they come on holiday here...because we have over 1,000 years of history (wierd to realise we're coming up on the 1,000 anniversary of the battle of Hastings...and by coming up I mean in our lifetime). Americans (WARNING *GENERIC STEREOTYPING AHEAD*) love to come here because of that history and culture.

Is our country perfect? No
Is ANY country perfect? No (I have a few canadian friends...i know whats going on over there is a little rough)
Would I leave this country? Hell No.

Grailkeeper
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
A quick googling has told me its in fact Col Corbain, not col Gravis, apologies

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Humanity disappoints me greatly.

Oh Cheer up humanity is what it is

Hope you enjoy yourself wherever you end up, but remember theres worse places than the UK.

Denzark
What's to take pride in? Our history of imperialism and brutal repression of native populations? Yes, almost every single ex-colony is now a hodge-podge of war famine and disaster with the natives at each other's throats.

Our bloody occupation of Ireland? What, like in 68 when we sent in the army to protect the Catholics and the so called republicans started killing civilians?

Our so-so economy? Everyone's is ****e at the moment.

The rise of extremist far-right politics? A problem with democracies, I 'd love to see them clamp down on nasty little anarchists as well as fascists.

Our government's crack-down on civil liberties and opposition to fundamental rights? How is that happening if you state the far right is on the increase?

Our feeble-minded obsession with the shallow and superficial? Let them eat cake
Our crime-rates; the highest in Western Europe? According to what figures?
Our rates of teenage pregnancy; again the highest in Western Europe? Our rates of drug use? Both a result of our overly permissive liberal society
Our pomposity? Our refusal to let go of outmoded traditions? History is a conscious form of evolution - learn from the past and keep what's good.
Our unaccountable res judicata courts? Our unelected and unaccountable 'other' house of parliament? Our willingness to bend over and take whatever the upper classes want to give us? Do you mean the upper classes or the rich people you are jealous of - what was the last thing the upper classes gave you?

Our pathetic sports teams? Our unbending desire to side with the U.S, no matter what?Always best to go with an Ally rather than let them act unilaterally - sort of what being an ally is about

Our crumbling infrastructure? Our institutionalised racism? Such as?

Our history of internecine wars?Which internecine wars?

Our habit of clinging to a past long-gone? Our need to be bailed out of two world wars? Really? How did we end up fighting for 10 years last century and ending up on the victorious side?

I have pride and a great deal of affection for a nation that deserves it, a nation that I will be joining next summer; Canada. A nation on the rise, not a nation that is dying and too stupid to realise it. Goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hive I should have guessed when you called the Guardian as not being a pile of leftist cack your leanings, I didn't know how deep the rot has set in. Your contradictory kill joy ramblings conveniently miss the point that most of our problems are rooted from being a democracy and not just a ruling class telling people how it is. You know the opinion polls give around 80% support to royals at the moment? Do you know how much actually belongs to house Windsor and, if we stripped them of all their titles they would still be richer than you?

Seeing as this country isn't in the business of redistibuting wealth (which is good because the communism you seem to support wasn't a raging success in Russia) you should just chill. 3rd generation immigrants can quite legitmately call themselves by the nationality they have adopted so don't go down the tired old 'the royals are Germans' bit.

Quite frankly if all 10 million sperm in your ballsack fertilised and led a life under your misguided impressions your family would still not have contributed to the country what the Royal Family has in its time. In case you don't realise, Prince Phillip wears the campaign medals for serving his country in WWII, Prince Andrew wears to South Atlantic medal for the Falklands campaign, and Prince Harry wears the Operational Service Medal with clasp Afghanistan. That combined with the millions of pounds from taxes on their property and also the charity work they do shows they are hardly spongers and are far better members of society than people who spout the rubbish you do.

As a 6th generation member of HM's Armed Forces I have always tried to live by the philosophy of 'I may not believe in what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'

People like you make it really hard to not wish for a genuine military dictatorship - you last thoughts as you went up against the wall (as well as the need for dry panties) would probably be about how you wish the liberal democratic society we have now was still in place.

Col.Gravis

Technically yes, the Queen is similarly the Canadian sovereign. I think Hive Mind is suffering from a bit of 'grass is greener on the the side of the fence'.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Some Canadians do, some don't. Royalists aren't the reason I'm leaving, they're just an extra annoyance.

And you say you have pride for a different nation? Not 2 pages back you said National pride was cultural xenophobia!

No, I said that patriotism was state-sponsored xenophobia. And it is. I take issue with Canadian patriotism just as much as any. It boggles the mind that a country that didn't exist a mere one hundred and fifty years ago includes the words "our... native land" in their anthem but that's another subject.

As you say, no country is perfect. I'm not claiming that Canada is. All I'm saying is that living there (or any one of about thirty countries) is infinitely preferable to living here.

Col.Gravis
04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
A quick googling has told me its in fact Col Corbain, not col Gravis, apologies

No worries lol, there are alot more 'Col' user names around then when I started out on the net lol

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Excellent work Denzark. I disagree with you therefore I'm a communist. Extremely well thought out.

Denzark
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Excellent work Denzark. I disagree with you therefore I'm a communist. Extremely well thought out.

I actually wrote the communism you seem to support - as you contradicted yourself I cannot actually classify you beyond deluded. Your witty retort fails to come back on this, don't bother though - Our gain is clearly Canada's loss and it is just depressing you try and cast doubt on an event today that the Met police assessed was attended at various stages by 1 million people.

I am sure as the institutionally racist oppressors of the honest working classes you wouldn't trust their figures anyway.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Deflect with irrelevance! Brilliant. The go-to tactic of the terminally rightwing.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Do you know what HM's personal fortune is?

technically its nothing, she has lots of property which she is not allowed to profit from which is why she gets an allowance from the government.

now if we were to disband the monarchy she could then sell that property to the highest bidder.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Technically it's over £4bn, actually.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Try reading the post first!

Technically it's over £4bn, actually.

none of which she can access, she can't go to cash my gold and go "How much for this crown!"

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Apologies, I'm mixing up my numbers. It's 'only' ca. £350m, per Forbes. She holds £17bn worth of assets in trust which is what you're talking about Morgan.

Still, £350m is a pretty sweet balance for someone who has never, ever done a day of work in her life.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM
"The Crown Estate, the royal lands dating back to 1066, generate around £110 million a year which is handed back to the Government in return for a £40 million payment to cover the cost of running the monarchy."

not a bad deal i think?

as to not working

Head of State? acting as the representative of the nation to the rest of the world

sounds like a job to me and a hard one at that.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Right, Head of State does sound hard. Then once you realise that all she does is sit on her arse travelling (gratis), sit on her arse waving and sit on her arse eating you realise that's not so bad.

It's not like she's a proper head of state that negotiates treaties or trade agreements. She just shows up places. That is literally all she does.

The 'royal lands' would still generate that money without there being a monarchy as it's the land itself that generates the income. Also, the Civil List hasn't been £40m since like 1995. It was £61m last year.

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 04:29 PM
It is stupid that they waste all that money on such a worthless ceremony when there are people starving all over the world. *sigh* But the world is what it is and we will all be getting off soon enough. I will say to the royal family’s credit they didn't waste money on a hair piece.

@ HiveMind
Where ever you do go you will have to put up with stupidity so... you're screwed.:D

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 04:32 PM
@ HiveMind
Where ever you do go you will have to put up with stupidity so... you're screwed.:D

Oh I know. There's just less of it in the Great White North than there is here.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Right, Head of State does sound hard. Then once you realise that all she does is sit on her arse travelling (gratis), sit on her arse waving and sit on her arse eating you realise that's not so bad.

It's not like she's a proper head of state that negotiates treaties or trade agreements. She just shows up places. That is literally all she does.

The 'royal lands' would still generate that money without there being a monarchy as it's the land itself that generates the income. Also, the Civil List hasn't been £40m since like 1995. It was £61m last year.

Glad to see you have such a handle on international politics.

Regardles the governments who have been and gone during her reign seem to think sending her on state vists seems to do some good?

but they must be wrong!

i think at this point continuing the discussion is futile as we have wildly different views that can't be changed

you think humanity sucks. I dont realy care about the rest of humanity i just try to care about me my friends and my family.

you think the uk is a cesspit and thus you are leaving. i think it could be better but it takes us all to make a difference.

you think the monarchy is irrelevant. I do not.

to each his own

enjoy Canada.

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 04:45 PM
i think at this point continuing the discussion is futile as we have wildly different views that can't be changed

You can always change. I used to think just like Hive Mind and still do from time to time, but thinking about how horrible the world is all the time can make you ill and sometimes you just have to learn to kick back and watch the apocalypse unfold.:rolleyes:

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't think the world is a terrible place. I think Britain is a terrible place.

Most of the world can still be saved. Some of it should be allowed to sink.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't think the world is a terrible place. I think Britain is a terrible place.

Oh Cheer up Britain like the rest of the world is what you make of it. sure bad things happen but most of the time its Ok

or

maybe it's just the north east.

"Come to Newcastle it's better than the rest of the UK!" Apparently

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Have you travelled much Morgan?

Serious question, I'm not trying to be smarmy.

Denzark
04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Thank you for going off topic here by miles, and changing the message from one of good luck, to your biased ranting. The fact that your IP address will not be logged, and men in black won't lift you for what some would view as seditious treasonous and (most importantly) down right impolite burblings, followed by 're-eductation' in a suitably nasty establishment, just goes to show what a good democratic society Britain is today.

You conveniently portray this suppopsedly broken society to our friends from other countries, you neglect to mention the 1 million people in London just for today's event - this wasn't faked to make the Royal Family look popular funnily enough. Only 1 in 5 people want a republic in the UK - I can't think of any other political movement with 80% popularity.

Quite frankly, if you believe in equality, you should recognise that one newly joined couple, be it marriage, civil partnership, some mad jedi ceremony or any creed or religious version of this commitment, is as deserving of a message of good luck as any couple, irrespective of social strata.

Your hijacking indicates a narrow mind and I hope the 'Great White North', of which HM the Queen will still be head of state (by clear democratic mandate) is better suited to you - preferably in a career which would suit your intellectual levels, namely providing bears with an alternative diet to moose.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Have you travelled much Morgan?

Serious question, I'm not trying to be smarmy.

not a great deal no,

and yes there are places out there that are Beautiful, however the uk, newcastle is my home it's where my friends and family are and they mean more to me than ....... well anything.

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Who knew you were more optimistic then me. :p I think of all the nations that actually could have a chance Britain would be up there.

@ Denzark
Jedi aren't allowed to get married.

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you for going off topic here by miles, and changing the message from one of good luck, to your biased ranting. The fact that your IP address will not be logged, and men in black won't lift you for what some would view as seditious treasonous and (most importantly) down right impolite burblings, followed by 're-eductation' in a suitably nasty establishment, just goes to show what a good democratic society Britain is today.

You conveniently portray this suppopsedly broken society to our friends from other countries, you neglect to mention the 1 million people in London just for today's event - this wasn't faked to make the Royal Family look popular funnily enough. Only 1 in 5 people want a republic in the UK - I can't think of any other political movement with 80% popularity.

Quite frankly, if you believe in equality, you should recognise that one newly joined couple, be it marriage, civil partnership, some mad jedi ceremony or any creed or religious version of this commitment, is as deserving of a message of good luck as any couple, irrespective of social strata.

Your hijacking indicates a narrow mind and I hope the 'Great White North', of which HM the Queen will still be head of state (by clear democratic mandate) is better suited to you - preferably in a career which would suit your intellectual levels, namely providing bears with an alternative diet to moose.

calm down Denzark its just a commercial :D

Necron2.0
04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
You can always change.

Agreed. I used to be an anarchist. After graduating from high school I worked for non-profits dedicated to "fighting for the little man" (like Acorn but not exactly that). Eventually, because I needed money, I ended up working for Health and Human Services, Division of Public Assistance (i.e. I worked in a welfare office). My thought was I could game the system from the inside and get paid for doing it. It was here that I learned that the "little man" was just as much a corrupt piece of @#$% as any Washington fat-cat. Like a lot of folks, I had thought disparity in society was due to the down-trodden not being allowed to rise. Turns out, the down-trodden simply do not and will not work to better their situation, even when given every opportunity to do so. That's when I went back to school, got my engineering degree, and embraced Machiavellian Conservatism. If corruption is a constant, then I'd rather have it limited to a select identifiable few, rather than have it run rampant throughout society.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Denzark my love, give it up. Deflection didn't work and neither will ad hominen attacks. Say what you will of my intellectual level, you've already demonstrated yours.

Ad hominen means 'against the person' by the way. I thought I'd save you the effort of Googling it since I'm guessing your conversational latin isn't up to much.

------------------------------

I used to think that the U.K was a pretty decent place too Morgan. Then I started going abroad. It simply doesn't compare to most places. The only country I've been to that I prefer the U.K to is Poland. Nothing against the Polish, just too rightwing and too Catholic for me.

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Agreed. I used to be an anarchist. After graduating from high school I worked for non-profits dedicated to "fighting for the little man" (like Acorn but not exactly that). Eventually, because I needed money, I ended up working for Health and Human Services, Division of Public Assistance (i.e. I worked in a welfare office). My thought was I could game the system from the inside and get paid for doing it. It was here that I learned that the "little man" was just as much a corrupt piece of @#$% as any Washington fat-cat. Like a lot of folks, I had thought disparity in society was due to the down-trodden not being allowed to rise. Turns out, the down-trodden simply do not and will not work to better their situation, even when given every opportunity to do so. That's when I went back to school, got my engineering degree, and embraced Machiavellian Conservatism. If corruption is a constant, then I'd rather have it limited to a select identifiable few, rather than have it run rampant throughout society.

Amen brother.

Denzark
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Actually you're quite right, I can only converse in live languages - French, German, enough to find the toilet or buy vodka in Russian, and I can say hello, how are you, thanks be to God, dwarf, bear and prostitute in Iraqi arabic.

I hope you are not setting yourself up as intelligentsia of some sort hive mind. When I don't know a word, I look it up. My definitions of choice, dictionary.com followed by Wikipedia, say that ad hominem means literally 'to the man'. It also says that it is not always a fallacious argument. So your pig latin misunderstanding does not actually make you look like Einstein in this case.

@ Morgan - how right you are.

@ Necron 2.0 - very honest - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

FirstLegion
04-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Let's keep this civil chaps... Or I'll lock this thread tighter than the queens.... Kung Fu grip...

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Because latin is always used literally in contemporary times. What a scholar you are. I am indeed not setting myself up as 'intelligentsia' as I would no doubt come unstuck against your six generations of bottom ten-percent military fodder breeding. Unless of course you come from officer stock and are then descended from chinless cowards rather than idiots.

I myself am a product of lowly miners. I could tell you that I'm about to finish my law degree (my second degree) and am a MENSA member but that would be intolerable dick-waving and besides, who believes what someone on the internet says? Not someone of your stature, for sure.

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 05:44 PM
You could go ahead and close it now. :D

Denzark
04-29-2011, 06:15 PM
In wars to preserve your right to write-off the military other ranks as 'idiots' and the officers as 'chinless cowards', my Great Grandad (of the idiot class) got one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Medal

My Grandad (chinless coward class) got one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Service_Cross_(United_Kingdom)

But then who believes these people on the internet eh?

Of course your lowly miners ancestors would have been preserved occupations nice and safe in their little holes. No medals, unless in the 1980s they won the Scargill Stand around burning dustbins Award for having their head stufed in by one of Magaret Thatchers riot police.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Just like a Brit, living on past 'glories'.

Shouldn't you be off somewhere shooting unarmed brown people?

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Bushido Red Panda is watching, waiting with the patience of a Ninja for the right moment to Strike! :D

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Bushido Red Panda is watching, waiting with the patience of a Ninja for the right moment to Strike! :D

Now don't go ninja'n anybody that don't ninja'n.

go to youtube and look up hillbilly ninja for a laugh.

Denzark
04-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Funnily enough the last unarmed people I wanted to shoot were the scum I could see out of the window of my Whitehall office. They were supposedly protesting about student fees but the sheeple had allowed themselves to get a whiff of the rebel from some alleged anarchists in the crowd - so anarchic to organise a ruck during a protest. Most of them, that I could see under the layers of filth and 'witty' t-shirts and placards showing their dedication to the cause by stating 'I only popped out for a pint of milk', were white.

Hive Mind
04-29-2011, 06:39 PM
And we're back to irrelevant.

JxKxR
04-29-2011, 06:47 PM
And we're back to irrelevant.

Have any of you seen the footage of that tornado that fudge up Alabama? Pretty crazy stuff. They said it was a mile wide! Can you believe that???

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Now don't go ninja'n anybody that don't ninja'n.

go to youtube and look up hillbilly ninja for a laugh.

lol how did i miss that gem :D

"now must remember not to be kung fu kick'n while Judo chop'n"

Morgan Darkstar
04-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Have any of you seen the footage of that tornado that fudge up Alabama? Pretty crazy stuff. They said it was a mile wide! Can you believe that???

Yeah quite nasty. probably a category 5 but its just nature doing it's thing. we just get in the way.