PDA

View Full Version : 3k ard boyz round 2, high elves

Bloody Nunchucks
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
so i have written a new list, it turned out pretty much like the old one with a few exceptions, removal of an archer unit, addition of scouts and some equipment changes. looking for comments again and i have a few specific questions.
-is the fighting noble worth it? i plan on putting him with the PG to give them some punch.
-are the scouts worth it? will they do what i want them to? hunt WM's, get people to charge into forests
-i tried to keep my unit count low for the first scenario, is it low enough?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my plans are as follows.

the BSB, Teclis and the second mage all go with 20 spearmen, with the archers nearby for a emergency bunker. the fighting noble will provide some power to the PG.

i will try to only ever get one unit of SM's into combat at a time, this way i can make them live forever at T7, the spears and PG can take lots of wounds before i start caring.

the scouts will deploy and try to slow down an enemy flank when i use refused flank, and they will hunt WM's, and they will sometimes redirect. (are they worth it i'm not sure yet, but they dont get deployed normally so i go first and they arnt rare)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
so, the list

3000pt ARD BOYS LIST
- points 2999

LORD:
475 – Teclis, lore of life
HERO:
184 - BSB, banner of the world dragon, heavy armour, great weapon, shield
143 – Noble, armour of caledor, guardian phoenix, great weapon
165 - Mage, lvl 2, seerstaff of saphery, lore of shadow spells 2 and 5
CORE:
159 – 14 archers, musician
205 - 20 spearmen, musician, banner, champion
391 – 39 spearmen, musician, banner of ellyrion, champion
SPECIAL:
480 - 25 PG, full co, banner of sorcery, Skeinsliver
350 - 21 sword masters, musician, champion, banner, gleaming pennant
365 - 21 sword masters, musician, champion, banner of eternal flame, gem of courage
80 – 5 shadow warriors
RARE:

LIST INFORMATION:
total points = 2999
total boots on the table = 152
total boots meant for combat = 115
boots on the table: boots meant to fight = 2.5:1
boots meant for combat: boots in the fight = 1.98:1
average cost per wound = 19.1
average power dice = 11.33
average dispell dice = x + 2.33 (2/3 less than opponent)
total units = 6 + characters + scouts
total fighting units = 4 + scouts
offense outside combat = dwellers, awakening of the wood, pit of shades, 14 longbows

Bloody Nunchucks
05-07-2011, 11:02 PM
this has been up for over a week and has like 70 views and not one comment, i must say i am surprized. all my friends told me this forum was better than warseer

novatomato
05-08-2011, 11:27 AM
You will find that the 40k section of this forum gets more than ten times the traffic of the fantasy section.
As for your list, I can't speak against specifics as I don't play Helves or 3k level games. A few things have jumped out at me though.
First thing I noticed was the single and rather small unit of archers. At this level this unit will do . . . very little. I would suggest one of two things; First, exchange the archers for more spearelves in those two spearelf units. Alternatively you could switch out the small unit of spear elves for more archers to increase the volume of fire available.
Second thing I noticed was the solitary unit of shadow warriors. Once again this unit is much too small to be of any real effect at this point level. I am assuming that they are going to be scouting ahead to try and take out war machines and other vulnerable targets, of which there will be a plethora so much so that when you do eliminate one it will have no effect on your opponents strategy. I fell that these guys can be almost completely ignored, perhaps upping the unit size by a few models and getting one, or better yet three, copies of the unit will really force the opponent to pay attention to these fellows.
Finally, what exactly does the non-BSB noble do for you? Sure he is killy, but is he as killy as his point cost in other models, say Swordmasters?

So, the sum of my advice, and my personal preference of change, would be: Drop the small spear unit and the non-BSB noble , bulk up on archers and Shadow Warriors

Dont-Be-Haten
09-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Hey Blood Nunchucks,

Here are my first few questions;
1) Is your melee noble meant to simply accept challenges and hope to outlast the opponents' heroes? If so then I would simply drop him and allocate the points elsewhere possibly into Great Eagles to march block; or to help hunt War Machines. Or a 3rd mage to help control the magic phase with the Annulian Crystal.
2) What made you choose the melee hero over a 3rd mage with the Annulian Crystal? Being able to have a free DD by removing one of your opponents PD is just too good. And with a 3rd level 1 mage you could simply go drain magic to further control the magic phase. or do you believe that your BSB with the Dragon Banner would be more efficient than controlling the magic phase?
3) Personally; I've been tinkering around with White Lions and find that they are just as good if not better than Sword Masters. True they get one less attack; but their survivalbility is much higher; being immune to poison and getting a +2 armor save against any shooting attack. Next they have the Woodsman ability and can help you force your opponent to charge into wooded areas. They are also Stubborn, and with the lion standard they are immune to fear and terror; then you could simply equip their Guardian with the Ammulet of Light so they all do magic attacks. What are your thoughts on this?
4) Why not drop the 14 archers and 20 spearmen and just convert them to Sea Guard? It would lower your unit count further and give you balistic range and rank attacks if they are about to be charged. That's one of the best things about Sea Guard; place them 10 x 2 or 10 x 3 and then swift reform before they are charged so you can stand and shoot and then also have the extra rank to attack back devistating anything that charges. Your thoughts?

Well I hope all this helps! Or at least gives you future ideas. The army looks pretty solid other than a few personal quarrels I have with it; but I've left most of those to myself.

-DBH

italyrox3
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
how have the shadow warriors worked out?

I also have to agree I like a mage somewhere with a guaranteed counter, i would also look at dropping the Archers and using the points to upgrade to LSG.

The biggest problem I have found with Banner of the World dragon to protect a group of swordmasters is that if they have a lot of shooting they are gonna just try to mow down the unit anyway. making them still hard to protect

Just a few thoughts