PDA

View Full Version : What weapon to use as Power Fist count-as?

Milchmann
09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey guys,

yay, first post! =)

I'm currently putting my DIY-Marines together, renegade codex-marines, who have kind of archaic weapon-styles. As I don't like the look of Power Fists (and thus have like 20 of them spare...) I was thinking about how to substitute them.

I was thinking along the lines of:

Power Fist => Big, two-handed Mace. I have that mace of the Fantasy Chaos Knights, you know, the spiky one. Alternatively some other big club or mace. OR maybe even a large Eviscerator-ish weapon. After all, an Eviserator has the same rules as a Chain Fist, doesn't it.

Power Weapon => One-handed mace, club, hammer, axe, sword. Nothing fanccy here. Oh, they all have little cablings and cells, because of the "power" of "Power Weapon".

Thunder Hammer => Two-handed Hammer with power cabling and exterior power supply.

normal CC-Weapon => see "Power Weapon", but sans little cables and cells.

What do you think? I have some concerns regarding the one handed hammers without cabling, the ones with cabling, and the two-handed hammers being too similar to one-another. Would you let me do this or would you think I'd go to far with this? Would it be too difficult to distinguish?

What are your Power Fist Count-As-weapons?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Milchmann

Fantomex
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM
If, like me, you aren't keen on the powerfists for regular marines, and fancy some conversion, I have a couple of ideas..
One, you could convert a different fist, my idea is to use the upper leg from spare loyalist marines, cut up and greenstuffed to resemble something similar to Hellboys Right Hand of Doom, obviously with cables/fingers etc sculpted or culled from elsewhere.
Only other idea, that I just had and now fancy doing, would be to model marine-portable one-handed seismic hammer-type weapons..
Two ideas! Magic! :D

Honda
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I think the maces would be aces :)

First off, you don't see a lot of them around in 40K, plus they lend themselves to painting "power" effects pretty easily, so you can really go to town on them if you want to.

Spawning off the earlier post, you could also get some Tyranid Warrior bits that have the big hands and use them as powerfists as well, painted suitably, of course.

As you have pointed out you have a bit of a system for how you want to do them, but do make sure that what ever you end up modeling, that it is easy for your opponent to remember so that confusion doesn't occur in the middle of a game.

I tend to use T-hammers as powerfists on my marines.

Cheers,

Milchmann
09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
[...] I have a couple of ideas..
One, you could convert a different fist, my idea is to use the upper leg from spare loyalist marines, cut up and greenstuffed to resemble something similar to Hellboys Right Hand of Doom, obviously with cables/fingers etc sculpted or culled from elsewhere.

I have no idea how to imagine that one, hahaha. How is the upper leg of a marine similar to Hellboy's uber-fist? :confused:

Only other idea, that I just had and now fancy doing, would be to model marine-portable one-handed seismic hammer-type weapons..
Two ideas! Magic! :D

This idea, however, is awesome. If I was playing something Iron Warrior -ish or renagade iron hands, ya, I wouldn't hesitate to use this idea. Unfortunately mine are more like Word Bearers, hence the mace (ooh, dark corzium! aah!).

I think the maces would be aces :)

Awesome rhyme. :D And yeah, I love maces!

[...] plus they lend themselves to painting "power" effects pretty easily, so you can really go to town on them if you want to.

My power weapons have a fiery glowing effect on them, so this should work nicely.

As you have pointed out you have a bit of a system for how you want to do them, but do make sure that what ever you end up modeling, that it is easy for your opponent to remember so that confusion doesn't occur in the middle of a game.

So if ALL my power fists are modelled as two-handed-maces, ALL chain-fists as Eviscerator glaives, ALL power weapons as one-handed blunt weapons there should be no confusion, right? Would you refuse playing me, if you saw that, because I don't use GW's original ideas? What about tournaments?

Milchmann

ThePov
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Well, I've always been one for using a massive sword as a powerfist.... one way I did that was to take two Catachan swords and glue them back to back. Very cool, kinda like Cloud from FF7.