PDA

View Full Version : 1250 competitive Guard

Milchmann
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey there,

I'm participating in a tournament here in Germany on Friday and will field my Guard. I'm heading for the top-3 and would like to hear your comments on my list. I'll integrate your suggestions in it as best as i can. So here it goes:

Company Command Squad => 170 pts
- Company Commander with lasgun
- Vox-caster with lasgun
- 3 Veterans with Meltaguns
- Officer of the Fleet
+ Chimera Transport, Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer

Guardsman Marbo => 65 pts

Demolition Veteran Squad => 190 pts
- Sergeant with Shotgun
- Vox-caster
- 1 Demolition Charge
- 3 Meltaguns
- 6 Shotguns
+ Chimera Transport, Multi-laser, Heavy flamer

Demolition Veteran Squad => 190 pts
- Sergeant with Shotgun
- Vox-caster
- 1 Demolition Charge
- 3 Meltaguns
- 6 Shotguns

Veteran Squad => 145 pts
- Sergeant with Shotgun
- Vox-caster
- 3 Grenade Launchers
- 6 Shotguns

Ordnance Battery => 150 pts
+ Griffon, Heavy flamer
+ Griffon, Heavy flamer

Leman Russ Squadron => 340 pts
+ Leman Russ Battle Tank, Heavy flamer, Pair of Heavy bolters
+ Leman Russ Battle Tank, Heavy flamer, Pair of Heavy bolters

So, what do you think? I mean, with 8 vehicles, 35 bodies, 9 meltas, 8 heavy flamers, 4 pie plates, 3 demolition charges and one master of the fleet I think it's pretty tough. Ans also it fits my playstyle, because I love mechanized armies. And IG can field so many vehicles in 1250 points!

Please comment. =)

Regards,
Milchmann

Milchmann
09-03-2009, 01:38 AM
What, no comments so far? So either my list is that bad or that perfect, huh? :P

Chumbalaya
09-03-2009, 06:17 AM
It looks quite good, though I would split up those Russes since you have a free heavy slot.

Ataraxean
09-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I like the list. Its very much in the playstyle I prefer.

A couple of suggestions. If it were me, I'd lose the voxcasters in the list. The veterans are likely to spend most of their time shooting from the top hatch of the chimeras, as outside of their metal shell they are quite squishy. And since they cannot receive orders while in the chimera, being able to re-roll doesn't do them a lot of good. I'd use the extra points to upgrade those grenade launchers in your third squad to more meltaguns. It might be excessive melta action, but I've always found comfort in redundancy.

Ditto on what Chumba said about the battle tanks. If you have the extra slot there's no sense in not using it, and being able to split those tasty pie plates at need. The more separate AV 14 targets the better.

The last thought I have is on the bolter sponsons. This is more of a playstyle thing for me. Personally I find that I move my tanks so much that never actually get to use the sponson weapons to full effect. If it were me I'd drop the sponsons on both tanks, and use the extra points to add a 4th demo charge into the list or add an astropath to get Sly in there faster with some change leftover. Or as an alternative (with the odd points leftover from the vox-melta change), you could upgrade the Meltas in your command squad to plasma and add a medic for some wonderful anti-MEQ/MC/Termi action. Just a few thoughts.

Solid list man. Best wishes tommorrow.

Milchmann
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies, guys. :)

First of all, I forgot to mention the restriction of the tournament: no double elites/fast/heavies and only 2 of those slots. Hence the Russ-squad. But I see the point in taking off that sponsons. Am going to do that, cheers!

Also, didn't think about those Voxes. Gonna change that for sure, thanks.

So, the edited and imho improved list:

Company Command Squad => 155 pts
- Company Commander with lasgun
- 4 Veterans with Grenade Launchers
- Officer of the Fleet
+ Chimera Transport, Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer

Guardsman Marbo => 65 pts

Demolition Veteran Squad => 185 pts
- Sergeant with Shotgun
- 1 Demolition Charge
- 3 Meltaguns
- 6 Shotguns

- Sergeant with Shotgun
- 1 Demolition Charge
- 3 Meltaguns
- 6 Shotguns

- Sergeant with Shotgun
- 1 Demolition Charge
- 3 Meltaguns
- 6 Shotguns

Ordnance Battery => 150 pts
+ Griffon, Heavy flamer
+ Griffon, Heavy flamer

Leman Russ Squadron => 300 pts
+ Leman Russ Battle Tank, Heavy flamer
+ Leman Russ Battle Tank, Heavy flamer

I have a good feeling with this. We'll see tomorrow. =)

Cheers,
Milchmann

Ataraxean
09-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Quick thing I noticed, though its prolly too late at this point (8 hour time difference and all). Your revised list only comes in at 1225 Points.

Don't leave wargear on the table man. :)

Good luck. Do drop a line into the forums and and let us know how it goes!

Milchmann
09-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Okay, so just a few words about how it went for Ataraxean and everybody else interested:

In short, I made first place. :D
Yeah, well, it was a small tournament and only 1250 points, but hey, victory is victory, ins't it? ;)

I played three games with this list - one draw against chaos marines and two major victories against loyal marines and Necrons. The draw was really bad luck for my opponent and even worse luck for me. I wasn't able to crack open a rhino with three meltaguns, one demolition charge, one heavy flamer, one multilaser and battle cannons in the last round, so the marines in it were able to contest my objective...
The other ones were ridiculous. I even felt a little bad for my opponents. The leman russes literally took out one warrior squad per shooting phase. Marbo killed the destroyer squad and the lord died to a guard shotgun ... :confused: Well, in the end I lost one veteran squad with it's chimera, another chimera, one russ and marbo, while all he got left was his monolith. He simply hadnÄt the range...
The marine game was the most interesting: It would take too long to write down, but he was a tough opponent. The simple mass of S8 AP3 pie plates and meltas were unbearable to him.

All in all it was a great experience and the list worked wonders. It has a good mixture of anti-armour and anti-infantry. Is quite fast, armoured and flexible.

Thanks for your help, guys and especially you Ataraxean. What you suggested was right on the spot.

Regards,
Milchmann

p_mike_v
09-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Brutal, I love it. :)

Chumbalaya
09-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Sounds good, grats to you

Glocknal
09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Great thing about that list its just plain solid. No trickerations, no nonsense, just damn good units. I think many Guard players use some form of that list. It just works, plain and simple.

Aceshigh
09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
well thats the guard now eveyone in a tank and poke your meltas out the side while you throw around pieplates until there is nothing left of their army lol