PDA

View Full Version : 1,850 IG mech face smashing!!!!!

RocketRollRebel
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Hello every one, I'm going out to a tournament in Rochester NY in oct with some friends and I think I have a pretty solid list but I'm always open for suggestion. My only thing is that I want to keep it all mech and I have no qualms about cheesynes, I like to think I'm a friendly opponent but it's a tourny so I plan to bring and battle the cheese ;).

So here she be

Vostroyan 77th First Born Regiment

Hq-
Co command squad
Power Fist
Grenaide Launcher x4
Officer of the fleet
Chimera w/multi laser & heavy flamer
-170pts

Troops
-----------
Veteran squad
Melta x3
Chimera w/ml & hf
-155pts

Veteran squad
Melta x3
Chimera w/ml & hf
-155pts

Veteran squad
Melta x3
-100pts

Veteran squad
Melta x3
-100pts

Fast Attack
----------------
valkyrie w/ ml and mmp
-130pts

Valkyrie w/ml and mmp
-130pts

2 Banewolfs (squad) w/hull multi melta,smoke,dozer blade
-320pts

Heavy support
-------------------
Leman Russ Demolisher w/hull las cannon and sponson plasma cannons
-220pts

Leman Russ Demolished w/hull las cannon and sponson plasma cannons
-220pts

2 hydras (squad)
-150pts

Fire away!
Thanks!

Aceblitzkrieg
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Alright I noticed a few things that I don't run in my Mech Guard list, the first thing that I saw was that you gave your company commander a power fist... Good in theory but really what is S 6 going to hurt? Just swap it out with a power weapon (BTW all of this is my own personal opinion and advice :) ) I would change Greande launchers for melta guns (if you are going to keep your power fist might as well make them meltas) Then give one squad in chimeras the grenade launchers that way they can sit back and hold an objective if needed. Heavy flamers on chimeras... I dont like my chimeras getting to close to the enemy but they are okay against Eldar and Tau. Valkyries are great, but Vendettas are better (but not for the amount of Armour hunting you have) They have two downfalls though, 1. Their high money cost :( and 2. They always go down very easily :( Banewolfs are good but they have to get there into combat first.... Mine never make it so I would take Hellhounds instead. Demolishers are perfect just the way I like them. And hydras are great to annoy anything you are playing against.

But none the less it looks strong let me know how it works out so I can have a better list of my own :)

Ace

Eyespy
09-02-2009, 08:44 PM
This is a nice list that will terrify any Mech build.

So things I would do:

Drop the plasma cannon sponsons. You will want to keep your Demolishers moving to stop infantry getting automatic hits on you. Enough Krak grenades will still ruin your day at Rear armour 11, so cutting the hits in half is always worthwhile, which will reduce the effectivness of your sponsons.

I think that the BS3 lascannon on Russes are a waste, but YMMV.

Hull MM's on the banewolfs may seem like a good idea, but after you move 6" you can only fire 1 weapon, and again, BS3. Drop it for a heavy bolter, even if you never intend to use it.

I would add plasma guns to your command squad for extra range. I'd also look at maybe giving some of your vet squads heavy flamers for those pesky squads in cover.

Look at giving some squads shotguns in place of lasguns, since you will want to be within 12" anyway.

Desaster
09-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I would go for Straken in the HQ (or Kell, if you just want some CC-punch).

And I'm not a big fan of the Banewolf. The range is terrible. Take Hellhounds or Devil Dogs (DD would go well with the melta-"theme" of your army ;) )

And you're lacking a squad to hold your own objective - I'm using grenadiers with an autocannon and 3 grenade launchers for that task.

For the Demolishers: Change the sponsons and the hull weapon to hbolter - they're going to fire at infantry most of the time and you've giot enough to deal with tanks. If you want Plasma, change one or both to an Executioner with plasma cannon sponsons.
If you think you need more LasCans, give them to the Valks.

Beef Nuggets
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Is 4 troop choices really enough? An unlucky bout of shooting and you might just lose all your chances to hold any objectives.

I would go for at least 5-6 vet squads. Drop a couple of upgrades here(like sponsons) and there and you will have enough to fill it in.

Chumbalaya
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Hello every one, I'm going out to a tournament in Rochester NY in oct with some friends and I think I have a pretty solid list but I'm always open for suggestion. My only thing is that I want to keep it all mech and I have no qualms about cheesynes, I like to think I'm a friendly opponent but it's a tourny so I plan to bring and battle the cheese ;).

Heh, not sure if I should be helping the competition :P

Co command squad
Power Fist
Grenaide Launcher x4
Officer of the fleet
Chimera w/multi laser & heavy flamer
-170pts

Don't bother with combat upgrades, IG aren't winning fights any time soon. I use CCS like another Vet Squad, so meltas for the win.

Veteran squad
Melta x3
Chimera w/ml & hf
-155pts

Veteran squad
Melta x3
Chimera w/ml & hf
-155pts

Veteran squad
Melta x3
-100pts

Veteran squad
Melta x3
-100pts

2 Chimeras might be light but these should work. Consider a heavy flamer over the 3rd melta in the Valk units in case you run afoul of hordes. Allies ISTs would be cheaper.

valkyrie w/ ml and mmp
-130pts

Valkyrie w/ml and mmp
-130pts

Yummy.

2 Banewolfs (squad) w/hull multi melta,smoke,dozer blade
-320pts

I wouldn't bother withe the BS3 multi-melta. I'd also bring a mix of 1 Bane Wolf and 1 Hellhound. This lets you pick which one will be destroyed first based on your opponent, plus you can pull hit allocation shenanigans :D

Leman Russ Demolisher w/hull las cannon and sponson plasma cannons
-220pts

Leman Russ Demolished w/hull las cannon and sponson plasma cannons
-220pts

I'd go for the hull flamer to deter assaulters, they do love to clump together after assaulting or getting tank shocked. I'm no sold on the plasma sponsons since you'll want to keep moving all day thanks to your relatively short range.

2 hydras (squad)
-150pts

Solid

It certainly has my Deathwing worried, but what doesn't really? I like it, it's very similar to my mech guard list. I would advise losing some of the more superfluous upgrades (hull lascannons, plasma sponsons, powerfist) to pick up another unit of Vets (possible if you swap out the Valk units for 2 5 man squads of ISTs, cheap and just as effective). An allied Inquisitor would be handy to deter Deep Strikers as well (I know a couple of locals play Daemons and Drop Pods so that would be handy).

Hope to see you in October, good luck.

RocketRollRebel
09-02-2009, 10:29 PM
thank you for the replys!

The power fist is a bit of a waste I'll admit but I had 15pts laying around so I went with it just for the heck of it although I could trade that and the GL's for 3 plasma guns.

As for the demolishers they are already kinda modeled like that so they are stuck that way I guess but I'm a fan :p. I dont hesitate to move them when I need to and usually shoot off the demolisher cannon and a plasma cannon and the las cannon is just there for additional ap2 to avoid any pesky sneaky wound allocation. Besides a large blast and two small blasts kill orks just as well as heavy bolters ;)

The banewolf is a new favorite of mine. I've been a long time fan of hellhounds but due to the valks I didnt have room for them. I'm not totally committed to the multimelta either. Its had its good days where it hits every time and its bad days where it never hits. But keep in mind that the chem cannon is only S2 which makes it a defensive weapon.

The plan was for the banewolfs to rush forward with the valks on a flank to kinda throw the enemy off early on while I roll forward pelt away with my other stuff.

I think 4 vets should be ok. They tend to be fairly survivable to since they never leave their chimera unless they absolutely have to or it is destroyed.

The comments were pretty helpful. I'll play test it a bit and try some of these suggestions.

Thanks Again!

Bharak
09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
In most cases when I run a regular valk I end up holding it in reserve and I find that an astropath is much more helpful then an Officer of the Fleet

RocketRollRebel
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Chumbalaya! I noticed that your location said Rochester, thats why I had to mention it haha. Death Wing eh? I'll be looking forward to seeing that. I always have alot of fun playing in new places against new opponents. My two friends are bringing some Salimanders and Plauge Marines to btw ;)

Never thought of using IST's really but the Inquisitor did cross my mind but I couldn't really find the points for it.

Heavy flamers may be cool but my army is all Vostroyan minis so I'm not sure how I would make one. Same goes with shot guns (which I agree are always a good choice). But I think the valk looming overhead should be able to provide enough cover for the boys while they are zapping something big. haha

Timbo
09-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Hull MM's on the banewolfs may seem like a good idea, but after you move 6" you can only fire 1 weapon, and again, BS3.

This is not the case. The Banewolf is a fast vehicle and the Chemical Cannon is a defensive weapon. You can move 12" and fire the turret and hull weapons. Banewolves are pretty sweet.

RocketRollRebel
09-03-2009, 12:36 AM
This is not the case. The Banewolf is a fast vehicle and the Chemical Cannon is a defensive weapon. You can move 12" and fire the turret and hull weapons. Banewolves are pretty sweet.

S2 FTW!:p

Eyespy
09-03-2009, 01:46 AM
thank you for the replys!

The power fist is a bit of a waste I'll admit but I had 15pts laying around so I went with it just for the heck of it although I could trade that and the GL's for 3 plasma guns.

As for the demolishers they are already kinda modeled like that so they are stuck that way I guess but I'm a fan :p. I dont hesitate to move them when I need to and usually shoot off the demolisher cannon and a plasma cannon and the las cannon is just there for additional ap2 to avoid any pesky sneaky wound allocation. Besides a large blast and two small blasts kill orks just as well as heavy bolters ;)

Actually you'll still be 15pts short for 3 plasma guns, you can have 2 PG or 3 meltas, or drop some more points elsewhere.

And what kind of hobbist are you anyway. If you can't change your Demolishers, the answer is to buy some more.

Whoops. I stand corrected, it is a fast vehicle and the Chem cannon is S1. I was thinking of the Devildog.

I stand by my statement that the MM is probably not worth the points however.

Timbo
09-03-2009, 02:33 AM
The Devil Dog is pretty cool too. It can move 6" and shoot 2 melta weapons out to 24". A melta on a fast vehicle is pretty scary. It has a 36" radius potential kill zone. BS3 or not, your opponent has to respect its potential and it will be high on the "to kill list".

Aceshigh
09-03-2009, 11:26 AM
yea his list is pretty solid i have seen it in action i have to say the guard did get a big boost from their new codex