PDA

View Full Version : 1900 point guard for league (sept '09)

gwensdad
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
For our ongoing league, here's what I'm thinking of taking for this month (1900 points)

HQ
Lord Commissar
+Plasma Pistol
+Power Weapon

Primaris Psyker

Elites
Storm troopers
+1 extra troops
+plasma gun
+Melta gun

Troops
Veteran Squad
+vox-caster
+replace lasgun w/shotgun
+flamer
+Meltagun
+Demolitions doctrine
+Chimera w/ML w/HB
+Chimera: pintle storm bolter

Infantry Platoon
Command Section
+officer: power fist
+Officer: Bolt Pistol
+Officer: Melta Bombs
+Commissar
+Commisar: Power Fist
+vox-caster
+Medi-pack
+Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
+sarg: bolt pistol
+sarg: power weapon
+Commissar
+Power Sword
+Plasma Pistol
+vox-caster
+flamer

Infantry Squad
+sarg: Plasma Pistol
+vox-caster
+plasma gun

Heavy Weapons Squad
+HW Team: Autocannon

Heavy Weapons Squad
+HW Team: lascannon

Heavy Weapons Squad

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Squadron
Leman Russ
+Heavy Flamer
+Sponson Plasma Cannon
+Pintol mounted heavy stubber

Leman Russ
+lascannon
+Sponson Heavy bolters

Leman Russ Punisher
+Knight Commander Pask
+Heavy Bolter
+Sponson Heavy bolters

Ordance Battery
Basilisk

The Primaris Psyker will ride with the Vets, challenging objectives and generally engaging the enemy. Commissar Lord will be walking with the infantry squads challenging objectives with command squad either behind them or elsewhere challenging objectives. Heavy weapons squads and ordance will sit in the back and Leman Russes will be used as a backup to whoever needs it.

Jwolf
09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
CCS is a lot better than Primaris, especially when you're taking a Lord Commissar to give leadership to those HWTs.

That infantry command is very pricey for very little ability to do anything; much better sinking those upgrade costs into a nice Company Command.

Need more Chimeras, particularly for command squads. Plenty of troops to drop to get them.

gwensdad
09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
CCS is a lot better than Primaris, especially when you're taking a Lord Commissar to give leadership to those HWTs.

That infantry command is very pricey for very little ability to do anything; much better sinking those upgrade costs into a nice Company Command.

Need more Chimeras, particularly for command squads. Plenty of troops to drop to get them.

I just need to buy more Chimeras and don't have the ca$h :(

I point crunch some numbers on the Company Command later tonight.

Aceblitzkrieg
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Question... Is your Punisher by itself? or are you really going to run it with your Leman Russ squads? The punisher is really going to be left out of the 72 inch club. Just saying you may want to drop him out of there and put him in his own squad. But other thatn that everything looks fine to me.

Ace

gwensdad
09-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Question... Is your Punisher by itself? or are you really going to run it with your Leman Russ squads? The punisher is really going to be left out of the 72 inch club. Just saying you may want to drop him out of there and put him in his own squad. But other thatn that everything looks fine to me.

Ace

So far, my problem with Leman Russ Squadrons is that somehow they get close assaulted by turn 3. Therefore, I don't think the 24" range of the punisher is much of a problem. Besides, my gaming group plays with enough terrain that it's almost impossible to get a 72" LOS to something without opponents getting cover saves (which they always seem to make)

gwensdad
09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Update: List got revised, played a game against CSM and got trounced. Had a Deamon Prince assault the Leman Russes on turn 2 (but I made the mistake of forgetting the punisher had BS:4, may have made a difference)

Anyway, here's what is locked in now for the month:'

HQ (2)
Command Platoon
Company Command
+CC: Boltpistol
+CC: Power Weapon
+CC: Melta Bombs
+Medi-pack
+Vox Caster
+Advisor: Master of Ordinance

Lord Commissar
+Bolter
+Power Fist

Elites
Storm troopers
+plasma gun
+Melta gun

Veteran Squad
+sarge: bolt pistol
+vox-caster
+replace lasgun w/shotgun
+flamer
+Meltagun
+Demolitions doctrine
+Chimera w/ML w/HB
+Chimera: pintle storm bolter

3rd Platoon
Command Section
+officer: power fist
+Officer: Bolt Pistol
+Officer: Melta Bombs
+Commissar
+Commisar: Power Fist
+vox-caster

Infantry Squad
+sarg: bolt pistol
+Commissar
+Power Sword
+Plasma Pistol
+vox-caster
+flamer

Infantry Squad
+sarg: Plasma Pistol
+vox-caster
+plasma gun

Heavy Weapons Squad
+HW Team: Autocannon

Heavy Weapons Squad

Heavy Weapons Squad
+HW Team: Missle Launcher

Heavy Support (3)
Leman Russ Squadron
Leman Russ
+Heavy Flamer
+Sponson Plasma Cannon

Leman Russ
+lascannon
+Sponson Heavy bolters

Leman Russ Punisher
+Knight Commander Pask
+Heavy Bolter
+Sponson Heavy bolters

Ordance Battery
Basilisk

Current thoughts after 1 battle with this: it sucks in Dawn of War. 2 of my 3 HWS were destroyed by turn 3, and the Basilisk never fired indirectly and Master of Ordinance didn't kill anything.

So next month when 200 points gets added, I need to think of what gets dumped and what gets added.

Chumbalaya
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
CCS doesn't need any combat upgrades and a bolt pistol is a waste of points, they don't win combats. Medi-pack is too expensive for T3 models, camo would serve you better. MoO is crazy inaccurate. A regimental standard would be helpful here.

Lord Commissar is trash. T3 ICs with powerfists really don't last long.

Storm Troopers are garbage, overpriced and underperforming.

Vets don't need any upgrades beyond meltas, but having just 1 squad will see it made a priority target and downed rather quickly.

PCS isn't good in combat, don't bother.

Infantry squads don't need combat upgrades unless you're mobbing up 2 or 3 units, then it's just power weapons, meltaguns, and melta bombs. I'd prefer to have them shoot.

HWS lascannons suck, too pricey and no orders. These guys are really easy to kill and only Ld7, so I'd stick with autocannons.

Basic Russes are eh, Demolishers are better. Don't bother with hull lascannons (BS3, 15 points, and lascannons aren't even that great) or sponsons (too pricey, keeps you static).

Punisher is garbage, even with Pask. An Executioner would be so much better.

Bassies suck, any other artillery is superior.

You've got a little bit of everything here, no real focus, and a ton of points sunk into useless upgrades. Figure out what you want to do with your army (infantry, mech, mixed, long-range, close range, offensive, speedy, aggro, etc) and go from there.