PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy SM list

Ultramarine1
09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I have discovered another annoying SM list. I have Calgar outflanking ( thank you Khan) with a tac squad. i then have a thunderfire cannon/ vindacator/ something big destroy the squads, than watch calgar rip apart every thing to slow to move, have the sarge with power wep. lighten it up, and let calgar kill al the LRs/Russes/everything. This is bolstered by a A dred with a TL autocannon, which spells doom for all light tanks, so calgar can go on killing. It has more chesse than you can shake a stick at.:)

Bloodiedknight
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Umm.. Not really. That's not cheesey, it's just an army list. You're paying a lot of points for Calgar when you're not using all of his abilities and if your opponent avoids one or both board edges he could end up outflanking onto the wrong one.

Magos Bellum
09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
and if your opponent avoids one or both board edges he could end up outflanking onto the wrong one.

If your playing Imperial Guard this is magnified thanks to support from the Imperial Navy.

Additionally your plan could be seriously damaged if any one of your units is killed very early, thus damaging your ability to wipe out enemy squads, or light vehicles and so on.

On the other hand, if everything worked, it would be wonderous to behold.

Chadmack
09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
The cheese marines start with 9 Land speeders for 450 points, 3 Dreds for 315 and then 3 preds for 180 or 3 vindicators for 345 depending on point count while replacing a dred for a terminator squad with land raider dedicated transport for the bigger games. troops HQ and upgrades as an after thought.

Superbran
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I have to agree. I don't think it is cheesey at all unless you look at the "fun" factor of the game. Either everything goes perfect for you, ie calgar comes in on the correct side and your heavies live a few turns or your screwed and you opponent spends the entire game staying away from you and shooting you death while you attempt to come across the whole table. How would you handle your opponent holding his stuff in reserve?

Superbran

GreyHunter
09-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I would think a more cheese list would be khan, a termie assault squad in a land raider, a shooty termie squad in a land raider and as many tac squads in rhinos as you like all able to outflank.

Bill.IVC
09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Could be nasty if you are able to hit, Personally, I wouldn't flinch. IT could deal damage, but as they said, its an army list. A decent one. I am not a fan of Special Characters like Calgar. The points you pay for him seems ridiculous and I think you could spend the points on other things that could make your army overall that much more scary. Watch out for those armies that are able to take that thunderfire out turn one and for those that can afford to Castle up and wait for your storm to dissipate. I would think Mech Guard or Mech Tau would take out that thunderfire ASAP and then be able to focus on your other threats and probably still be able to get to objectives.

I would make sure you try and place some objectives as close to the table edges as possible in order to force your enemies to the sides. Hope they bite and commit too early.

Lord Inquisitor
09-02-2009, 08:15 PM
That really isn't that scary. When Calgar comes in he'll be the only target for all the flashlights that are going to be pointed his way. No matter how good he is he will still fall to 2 squads rapid firing with FRFSRF, who will have about 60 shots. And that is on the easy side of how many guard would actually be there.

RocketRollRebel
09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I would think a more cheese list would be khan, a termie assault squad in a land raider, a shooty termie squad in a land raider and as many tac squads in rhinos as you like all able to outflank.

I've had so many dirty thoughts about a list like that! haha

Anyway yeah its a neat idea and rates high on the "WTF? meter" but I think cheesy Marines would be something probably involving vulkan, a ton of MM/HF speeders, Mech tac squads and a pile o'TH/SS terminators.

Interesting concept tho! Thanks for sharing:)

Ultramarine1
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Hmm....
While i guess it's not that cheesy, it ruins the "fun factor". Calgar's squad does have 14 wounds, so it cannot easily be killed, and calgar's eternal warrior means it can last for a while, so you can't have him wiped out by one big blast or whatever.

Farmer
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I have discovered another annoying SM list. I have Calgar outflanking ( thank you Khan) with a tac squad. i then have a thunderfire cannon/ vindacator/ something big destroy the squads, than watch calgar rip apart every thing to slow to move, have the sarge with power wep. lighten it up, and let calgar kill al the LRs/Russes/everything. This is bolstered by a A dred with a TL autocannon, which spells doom for all light tanks, so calgar can go on killing. It has more chesse than you can shake a stick at.:)

That isn't cheesy at all,it just says:
Am out numberd
Am out gun'd
Am now going to watch all my guys flank on the opposite side they need to be on and watch them as they're shot to crap
I've been a total idiot and wasted 1/2 of my army on SC's and tanks.

You get the point ;)

If you want somthing atleast decent go with Khan with bikes and flank a LR with a unit of combat termies all with TH/SS's.

Denzark
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
This is how my World Eaters would deal with this list:

1. Look at where the objectives are placed. Then disregard totally. (in KP this doesn't matter).

2. Depending on who goes first (actually doens't matter, tactics are the same).

3. Drive the land raider with Kharn and 9 Berzerkers up to Calgar. De-bus, kill them all and offer head of Calgar to Milord Khorne. Use heads of any 'bodyguards' as field toilets.

4. Meanwhile Plague marines and other minions and cannon fodder are despoiling the rest of the puny.

For any other list substitute 'Calgar' for the name of HQ Unit.

PS if it is that turdish Hestan he is a priority above all others as his cheese is annoying, as in oh yes my 3 blobs of brown marine chapter are counts as salalalalmanders and obviosuly have twin linked everything.

PPS last time that flesh blister Lysander tried to bolter drill a load of Stern Guard who came out of a drop pod we killed all 11 of them in one turn of glorious combat.

Vince
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
This army doesnt sound that bad to me. If the opponent deploys in the middle its not like you can assault them with your crazy squad on the turn they come in to play. All it would take is 1 or 2 Lash of submissions to make your Super Squad useless. Any other army could just Shoot it like crazy assault with a tie up squad that can live at least 2 assault phases and then shoot up the rest after that.

Xas
09-08-2009, 04:15 PM
replace army with nids and calgar with stealers and while beeing more killy it still doesnt work.

smart people know what 19" / 13" from the sides means :P

Anggul
09-12-2009, 02:39 AM
And you expect Calgar to get to all of his proposed targets in one game? He's not that fast. Just looks like you're relying a little too much on him.

rant_hammer
09-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Think its all already been said, but as a minor footnote.... Calgar sucks.... and is too many points