PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch Techmarine questions

Astral Platypus
05-26-2011, 11:33 AM
My friends and I are playing our first Deathwatch game and I am playing the Techmarine. Does anyone know if a servo harness can be worn with terminator armor?

For cybernetics: which location would an MIU give you a toughness bonus? All cybernetics give you one and the location for MIU isn't as easy as the rest to determine.

Psyfer
10-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Question 1: I don't believe so. If I was GMing the game I'd certainly say no, but from what I recall I don't believe it's explicitly stated that it cannot be done.

Question 2: An MIU wouldn't give you a toughness bonus as far as I'm aware, it allows you to interface with machines, not bolster your physique.

Nabterayl
10-02-2012, 08:53 PM
From a rules standpoint a servo harness is just a cybernetic enhancement like anything else, so it's as compatible with terminator armor as a cybernetic heart. From a lore standpoint I don't know that we've ever seen it done.

An MIU does come with a Toughness bonus, since it's a cybernetic like anything else. From a strictly mechanistic standpoint I'd give the bonus to the body, since it's clear that the core of an MIU is a spinal plug. I can see the argument for a head bonus, though, since 40K tends to be pretty literal about what plugs into what.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Dark Angels currently can have a Servo-arm on a Terminator, and I thinnnnnk 3.5 'dex Iron Warriors could also do that. So that might set a precedent, since Servo-harnesses are basically a bunch of Servo-arm bits.

Denied
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Question 1: I don't believe so. If I was GMing the game I'd certainly say no, but from what I recall I don't believe it's explicitly stated that it cannot be done.

So yeah the rules for Deathwatch are horribly unclear on some things. It also doesn't tell you that you can not wear a servoharness/ arm and a jump pack.... not going to lie I tried to convince my GM to let me do this once >_>. As for a gaming perspective I think it should not happen, I mean Techmarines get Artificer armor WAY before anyone else for the price of dirt cheap. I would just say grab that and Flesh is Weak yourself to 99.9% machine.

If you want a heavily armored Techmarine go Iron Hands and you can get Flesh is Weak 3 at rank1 then grab artificer with Sig war gear shortly after and at 1000xp into Rank 4 become a forge master so you can get Flesh is Weak 4 early. Also grab like an Iron Halo or Storm Shield prior to every mission and you should be solid. At that point your sitting on 16 armor all over (with more on your arm if you have the SS) and you have a 55 Force Field save.

gcsmith
11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
So yeah the rules for Deathwatch are horribly unclear on some things. It also doesn't tell you that you can not wear a servoharness/ arm and a jump pack.... not going to lie I tried to convince my GM to let me do this once >_>. As for a gaming perspective I think it should not happen, I mean Techmarines get Artificer armor WAY before anyone else for the price of dirt cheap. I would just say grab that and Flesh is Weak yourself to 99.9% machine.

If you want a heavily armored Techmarine go Iron Hands and you can get Flesh is Weak 3 at rank1 then grab artificer with Sig war gear shortly after and at 1000xp into Rank 4 become a forge master so you can get Flesh is Weak 4 early. Also grab like an Iron Halo or Storm Shield prior to every mission and you should be solid. At that point your sitting on 16 armor all over (with more on your arm if you have the SS) and you have a 55 Force Field save.

Black Templars can have terminator Armour and jump pack tech marines.

Chris*ta
04-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Black Templars can have terminator Armour and jump pack tech marines.

Out of date codex is out of date.

Paul
05-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Out of date codex is out of date.

Still valid codex is still valid.

Chris*ta
05-28-2013, 08:30 AM
But if you're looking for an answer from a fluff point of view, you'd go by the weight of answers. For example, it's not long ago that Space Wolves could have a character in terminator armour infiltrating alongside some scouts. This doesn't mean that marines regularly sneak around in terminator armour.

Remember that this is a discussion about what's allowable in the Deathwatch RPG. I'm aware the BT Codex is valid in Warhammer 40k.

Short version: although the weight of tabletop rules is against servo harnesses being used with terminator armour, the rules of Deathwatch don't disallow it. What the hell, it's not going to break the game, so go ahead. And even if it did manage to break the game, it's an RPG, so hopefully you'd be willing to work with the GM to fix it.