PDA

View Full Version : Cases

Skragger
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
My Orky horde is growing by the day, and cheap transportation for the masses and masses of ladz I'm accumulating is quickly becoming a bit of a cost/benefit nightmare.

The GW hard-cases are no good for me as for what I'm paying (around $40 Cdn) they just dont carry enough troops to make it worth my dollar (I'd need around probably 5 or 6 by now), and their size can be a bit frustrating too (very clunky they is)

Does anyone know where I can order or get some cheap, simple carrying cases? I'm working on a small budget with a ball and chai-er... girlfriend who keeps a tight reign on the expenses.. any ideas? :confused:

Datadep5
09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Lose the girl? :p

Have you tried a duffle bag with foam from a bedding top? It's relatively cheap and will do well to protect your models. Just make sure you pack it tightly, that way the models will be pressed into the foam a bit and not move around.

entendre_entendre
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
look in canadian tire for a jobmate toolbox, just put layers of soft foam in and voila! a cheap carrying case for around $20. the foam varies in the $$ range, (but its not too bad) you want the squishy stuff that comes in a roll.
they come in varying sizes, mine's 19"x9 1/4"x9 1/2". I can tell you, it can hold quite a bit. (like 70+ CSM's) the actual hard bit is getting the right foam & cutting it to fit the box.
they also have trays in the top for dice & smaller (>land raider/BW size) vehicles, but it can be a little rough for them sometimes if you put too much in there (speaking from experience :p) extra foam can help.

crazyredpraetorian
09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
BattleFoam but it ain't cheap. I know a few guys that have magnetized their armies and use a metal tool box from Home Depot(less than $50). The tool box holds a butt load of figures.

Shadowseer
09-03-2009, 12:46 AM
go 2 ikea get one of those zip-fold boxes and just order some form for your army and you save 20 pounds which is about 30 dollars+

Yazza
09-03-2009, 02:26 AM
i like that ikea idea, can be found anywhere ofline :d

ggg
09-03-2009, 03:12 AM
I use light weight aluminuim foam packd cases from the electronics strore Maplin. Mine were £14.95 (UK). As you can cutomise the foam inside you can get hundreds of wee chappies in to the case with fantastic protection.

spinny
09-03-2009, 04:19 AM
This may not help you as you appear to be in canada, but for those the other side of the atlantic you may want to try out KR Cases

http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/mainuk.html

They have simple cardboard cases which are quite strong and cheap and come in a bewildering amount of configurations

Skragger
09-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys! These are all good ideas,:D I'm thinking of giving the Home Depot toolbox a shot, see how it looks. Another thing that was suggested to me is get some of those white cardboard card boxes you sometimes see in hobby stores, they're usually quite long and hold about a squillion cards, and foam those bad boys up. They're about 18' by7' by 5'deep, so apparently you can store around 45 models in one. He likes em because being simple, white cardboard boxes their lightweight and store easily.

Any thoughts? I know my description doesn't help much but you try googling "long white box"

Spiff
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
For large armies like guard and orks, rifle cases are great.... As long as you don't mind getting some odd looks from people.

They're usually pretty cheap, too.

Linkdead
09-03-2009, 06:33 PM
+1 for magnets they are a really good option for horde armies. Go to K+J magnetics and pick whatever smallish magnet they have on clearance grab a few hundred and go to town. You can use cheap baking sheets to stack your army in a toolbox or just stick them all over the inside.

RedRat
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I use an aluminium case layerd with pyramid foam (the shaped foam used in acoustics). You have to use enough foam to fill the case complete or ur Minis will fall around

I think magnets are worth a try...