PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Rules

schoon
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered a copy of Space Hulk.

However, since it's my understanding that they are starting to arrive on people's doorsteps, I have a question:

What are the differences in the rules from the old edition to the new edition?

...this needn't be an exhaustive listing, but some of the key points - if any. I'm concerned that they might have spent all their time sculpting and very little revising the rules.

Can anyone who's seen both editions help out?

Valdore
09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, I have never seen, let alone played any of the original editions.

However, from what others have said in my company, the rules are essentially first edition rules with things like the Assault Cannon, Lightning Claws etc. added in from the expansions. Obviously I don't know the specific changes or anything, but that seems to be the general consensus from people I've spoken to.

Ivellos
09-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I belive that in the latest WD they said something to the effect of they didnt want to change the game just bring it back with really cool new models etc.

Wildeyedjester
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I never got a chance to play the first edition, but this one is so much fun. Was the broodlord in the first edition? Hes super nasty

doublek666
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I have the first edition, with much of the expansions and the second edition as well, including WD missions. This new edition comes with 12 missions, with different squad arrangements for each one, similar to the old White Dwarf published missions that included new games pieces, rules for new characters, squads and weapons. The included timer and score card helps keep the game fast and easy. The Genestealers can no longer lurk indefinitely(only one turn), can no longer "reveal" at will during any time,turn or phase. They can reveal during their turn instead of activating the blip. Also the rules state that the genestealers are limited to those in the box(can't stack blips/models with a bag 'o genestealers in your pocket to overwhelm the marines), so any extras(blip units not represented by a physicak model not already in play) are are lost. So some of the tricks you could play with the genestealers are gone. The marine has a better chance than in the old game, can reload the assault cannon, as before. The flamer rules have reverted to first edition "section" effect, and model has to roll everytime they move in an affected square, not just the initial shot, any othermovement in that turn(needs a 1 to survive). The sustained fire bonus is there, but doesn't go down to '3', for successive shots, just '5. The command points are drawn again, and you can use them in the other players turn as well, overwatch is there and you get the sustained fire bonus, and assault cannon can be in overwatch, overall it looks like they really did a good job on this package all the way around, there is even a new rule, 'guard', you can re-roll your assaullt roll, when they assault you on their turn, like a close combat overwatch! Pretty cool! The brood lord is brutal, and you don't use the librarian much, it seems. Needs more missions............expansion anyone?????

oni
09-03-2009, 09:03 AM
I've not played Space Hulk since the mid 90's (2nd edition). I read the rules last night and I'm a bit confused on this whole "voluntary" "involuntary" revealing and "activation" of the blips. Could someone give me a brief explanation?

The way I remember it; any time a blip came into line of sight it was revealed and the genestealers placed, end of story.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Craz
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Voluntary conversion is when you can choose to, instead of activating your blip, flip it and convert it to genestealers during your activation phase. Involuntary conversion refers to whena Termie gets LoS to your genestealers and forces you to reveal.

oni
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Voluntary conversion is when you can choose to, instead of activating your blip, flip it and convert it to genestealers during your activation phase. Involuntary conversion refers to whena Termie gets LoS to your genestealers and forces you to reveal.

OK, and what's the strategy behind doing it this way? Only to be able to place your own genestealers?

Mephiston
09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
From memory of previous versions voluntary is good when you wouldn't be able to place all the models the blip contains should it be involuntary revealed.

schoon
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, Gents.

It sounds as if they've done a fairly solid revision, but didn't go too deep.

Of course for those making up their own missions - as I'm sure many will do - you can always add more genestealers to the mix!

Blankhalo
09-07-2009, 12:50 AM
While doublek666 summaries the rules changes between 1st and 3rd editions very well, now I have had a few games, it's worth pointing out how this translates into differences while playing. The biggest difference is that it is much, much easier for a marine player to hold a perimeter. The new sustained fire bonus on overwatch (5+ instead of 6+) and the reduction in cost to clear jams means that if the marine player just holds back 2CPs then it is nearly impossible as the 'stealer player to break the perimeter. (Whereas in first with persistence and whole bunch of 'stealers you could break the perimeter). Two other factors help here too, the new 'guard' stance and the fact you usually have more more command points due the new ability to redraw the CP token if you don't like the first.
We had one game where the Sargent with the thunder hammer and storm shield was on 'guard' protecting a key corridor. He must have mulched some 25 'stealers before one eventually killed him - it suddenly became the point of the whole game :D. Not sure of the mathhammer on this one but it is now very hard to break down a well set up perimeter.

Commander Dante
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
From memory of previous versions voluntary is good when you wouldn't be able to place all the models the blip contains should it be involuntary revealed.

In fact, it works like this (from 1st ed. rules):

"BLIP CONVERSION
There are two ways in which a Blip converts into
Stealers: voluntary conversion - when the Stealer
player converts the Blip - and involuntary
conversion - when the Marine player converts the
Blip.

Voluntary Conversion
A Blip counter can be converted into Stealers during
the Stealer player’s Action Phase. He converts the
Blip instead of Activating the Blip; if the Blip has
performed any action that Action Phase, he may not
convert it. Stealers can be Activated during the Action
Phase of the turn they were converted with a full
complement of 6 APs.

Involuntary Conversion
Marines cause involuntary conversion when they gain
LOS to a Blip. In involuntary conversion, the Marine
player converts the Blip to Stealers and places them
on the board; but the Stealer player gets to choose
their facing.

If a Marine gains an LOS to a Blip during the Stealer
player’s turn (if for instance, he uses CPs to blow
away a model which was blocking LOS), then the Blip
is involuntarily converted into models by the Marine
player. If the Blip has not yet been activated that
Phase; then all of the newly-placed Stealer models
can be activated as normal. If the Blip has already
been activated, than the Stealers cannot be activated.
Remember that a Blip cannot move into a Marine’s
LOS; however, the Stealer player can move a Stealer
which was blocking a Marine’s LOS, allowing the
Marine to gain LOS to the Blip. This would be
involuntary conversion and the Marine player would
place the Stealers.

How To Convert Blips
Turn the Blip counter over to reveal the number of
Stealers it represents. Remove the counter from play
and place the appropriate number of Stealers on the
map. Place the Stealers so that one Stealer occupies
the square where the Blip stood, and any remaining
Stealers are placed in empty squares adjacent to that
model.
In voluntary conversion, the Stealer player cannot place
his Stealers in a Marine’s LOS; in involuntary
conversion, the Marine player can place the Stealers in
or out of LOS as he wishes.
If there aren’t enough available squares to place all of
the Stealers, the excess Stealers are lost.
After the Stealers are placed on the map, the Stealer
player gives the Stealers any facing he wishes, even if it
was involuntary conversion and the Marine player
placed the Stealers."

Enjoy!