PDA

View Full Version : Warlord Titan

GrimJaw
09-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Here is a link to some up to date images of the warlord titan that im building. I am looking at making it look like a walking cathederal, it will eventually be covered in gothic arches. There is still a lot of work to do but I have had to have an enforced break lately. Back to it next week though!

http://emperorstarot.blogspot.com/

PLease any comments are greatly appreciated you my come up with something that I have not thought of.

Thanks

person person
09-03-2009, 01:49 AM
I've seen ALOT of scratchbuilts, and that is very good, I don't have any thing to add 'cept there's a lack of worky bits. All you need is a few hydraulics.

eldargal
09-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Love it!

Forge
09-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Pretty sweet, old school titans, the pieces seem to fit very well, it must have taken a long time to measure up, can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like you might have to get bucket of paint for that fella, but I'd agree with the hydraulics, especially around the feet and throw in a few mini's for scale but awesome build, all the best with it.

emperorsaxe
09-03-2009, 09:18 AM
All I can say is WOW that is amazing.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

miteyheroes
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
VERY nice! I particularly like the shinpads, they work excellently.

thaddius
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I am left awestruck by the awesomeness of it!:eek:

vman
09-04-2009, 02:33 AM
the a scary/big project to take on board, i wish you all the best in finishing it :D

Duskstorm
09-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Do you know what weapons your going to put on it? Also very, very nice work.

thewickedworm
09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
The flag is what caught my eye! Nice!

person person
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Is anything gonna be detachable?

Remember; with great size, comes great difficulty transporting.

entendre_entendre
09-05-2009, 01:15 AM
as the cops from south park once said: "Nice..."
can't wait to see the final product :)

GrimJaw
09-05-2009, 04:21 AM
The waepon barrels will be detachable and magnetic, that will allow for easy modification. the back ends of the weapon arms will be on bearings so they rotate. The model already comes apart at the waist ad the feet will also come off when they are made.

The banner was a completely different project. I made it for my local GW store (Hull UK) for this years Games Day. I am also in the midddle of a Space Marine Banner for the club I run called Hulls Angels.

Thanks for all your comments. I am encouraged by your comments I will continue to keep a blog of my efforts so keep watching this space.

GrimJaw
09-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Pretty sweet, old school titans, the pieces seem to fit very well, it must have taken a long time to measure up, can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like you might have to get bucket of paint for that fella, but I'd agree with the hydraulics, especially around the feet and throw in a few mini's for scale but awesome build, all the best with it.

Well Forge, the measuring was a bespoke process I began this model with nothing more that a picture of an epic scale titan and then began with styrafoam and some foam board. I then covered it with plasticard and then used household filler to smooth it over from there I began to add detail. This has take me about 4 months so far so I reckon onbeing finished by Christmas. I would like to use it in a Apocolypse game that im running then.

firestorm
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Excellent work! :D I don't suppose when you were making your measurements you, erm, kept some kind of record? Just be useful for anyone else who, y'know, wnated to have a go at making one of these...

I'm sure there's somebody like that out there... ;)

El Scotcho
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
i likes it. you should make plans and sell me some.

GrimJaw
09-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Well I did make some templates early in the process but that was about a year ago and I have added 4 or 5 layers onto the model since then. The thing about these models is that they are more like crfting a sculpture than building a kit the process I have used is as follows:

1. work out the size of the model based on a standard miniature. The first one I did was 4 foot tall and would have been impossible to use. This one is about 28 inches high with the feet on. and about 15 inches wide at te shoulder.

2. Make some paper templates and attach them to styrofoam (orange or blue is best you can get it from caravan companies or wickses), I would pin them on. These templates tend to change based on what you want the model to look like. I based mine on what the epic model looked like and adapted them for my purposes.

3. Block out the model using styrofoam you may need multiple leayers of the same shape so either photocopy the templates or be careful when cutting. You can make joints with wire or cocktail sticks and glue, as I did with the legs.

4. once you are happy with the basic shape clad the whole thing in foamboard. this is a very bespoke process and takes time each shape has to be cut based on specific measurements. it doesn't matter if there are some small gaps or mistakes as these can be rectified later.

5. Use a household filler to fill all of the gaps in the foamboard and sand down when dry, this creates a good surface for the plasticard. Plasticard is used as a top surface as foamboard will not take spray paint. It also makes the model look more mechanical.

6. Cover the model in plasticard in the same way you did with foamboard, fill any gaps and sand down. once you have done this you are ready to add detaild like parts of GW models or scratch bult elements like my gothic arches.

7. follow the same process with the arms, head and feet and you have a finished Titan reagy for painting.

This is a very time consming process that takes quite a good understanding of skills, materials and the proportion of the human form. It is aways worth looking at an image of the human body when making something like this as you then dont make one part of the body out of proportion. I have found that you can spend hours just tweaking little parts of the model but it is well worth it the overall effect is greatly improved by doing this.

I will be back to working on this model next week after my 7 weeks off without my workshop (or classroom as the children like to call it) so I will be posing more images in the near future. The next elements will be Pistons and the rest of the gothic windows all over the body.

I hope this helps you to understand the process that I followed. I wish I could just hand out the templates but I think they would be meaningless to anyone that looked at them (and iv'e probably wrecked them by now). For me this is a construction process that each person should go through on their own, then they undrstand the structure they have made better and will create a much more impressive model based on that.

Thanks

M3mph1s
09-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Awesome!!!!