PDA

View Full Version : Info on Movement Trays?

Brent
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi, everyone-
I'm a new WFB player, and am interested in learning the best way to configure movement trays.
The magnetic bases and sheets seem to be the way to go, but how large should I make the trays?
My first army is Tomb Kings, and I was thinking of units of spear-armed Skeleton Warriors that are eight wide and three deep...is that the size I should make the trays?
Or is it practical to make them wider, and just not fill them?
I'd greatly appreciate any help....
Thanks,
Brent

BrokenWing
06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
I like 10-11 wide, incase you play a larger game and need more dudes.

Also, why 8 guys instead of 10? 10 would give you a full horde bonus and with spears that would be really fun. Although you'd need another rank of guys for it to really be worth it.

Albavar
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
With Tomb Kings I would never go less than 4, preferably 5 deep. Our skellies are fragile and the healing comes in smaller doses now a days. You want to be sure that you always keep the +3 rank bonus for 4 ranks of 5 or more. Otherwise you will crumble too fast.

BrokenWing
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Sounds like good advice. I wouldn't know as I don't play tomb kings and my Warriors of Chaos army is better described as a Hordes of Chaos army (as in, every regiment is 5+ deep and 10 wide except for my Chosen). However, if you play an army that can field a cheap horde with spears, you should field a cheap horde with spears and then make sure it's like 50 guys.

Brent
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi, all-
Thanks for the guidance on the size of my Skeleton Warriors regiment....
But what I was really after, at this early stage of building, was what size to make the movement trays themselves.
Do people make them a large size (say 5 deep by 10 wide), and then just fill them with whatever they are using in that particular list, or do they make several trays of differing sizes, or something else?
Any guidance you care to share would be most welcome....
Thanks,
Brent

BrokenWing
06-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Let's put it this way. With an oversized movement tray, you can always not put models on the whole thing. With an undersized movement tray, you can't just expand it during a game. It's better to make some of your movement trays larger than necessary so you can add more guys later on. Like say you were making a skeleton movement tray. I'd make it 10 across and 6 or even 7 deep, so you can field more guys in the regiment if you need to at some point and actually still have them fit on the movement tray.

Chronowraith
06-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi, everyone-
I'm a new WFB player, and am interested in learning the best way to configure movement trays.
The magnetic bases and sheets seem to be the way to go, but how large should I make the trays?
My first army is Tomb Kings, and I was thinking of units of spear-armed Skeleton Warriors that are eight wide and three deep...is that the size I should make the trays?
Or is it practical to make them wider, and just not fill them?
I'd greatly appreciate any help....
Thanks,
Brent

I tend to make mine specific for individual units. That being said, I have a decent job and plenty of money to buy materials to make a whole horde of movement trays. I have an entire seperate bag of nothing but the trays that I carry around with me.

That being said, I can see the advantage to making them larger than necessary like BrokenWing is stating. Overall, I'd figure out the maximum size you *might* use for a unit and then make one that size. *If* you have the resources leftover, make some smaller afterwards. While there is no reason you can't use a larger movement tray to move a smaller unit, sometimes it creates hassles when moving units around or deploying. Still, it certainly is cheaper.

BrokenWing
06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Good advice. For my chaos army I have a movement tray for a marauder horde that I calculated would max out around 80. It's 12 across and 8 back. But on the other hand my chosen movement tray is 5 across and 6 back.

Thornblood
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
So yeah, I agree not seeing any reason to have a unit of skellies less than 10 x 5. Even in small games. Of course seeing corners count, if you plan on taking on other horde armies if you go for 12x5, thats 8 more models fighting than your opponents unit, and potential flankers can get in the front (so its not like they can argue they dont have another option)

Anyway, my issue would be with an oversized-tray, the edges stick up and get in the way if your unit is much smaller.

So I would make the trays in two, so that when together there is a lip on all four sides, but in fact it is made up of two trays that have a lip on three sides. And maybe put something decorative like a skull, boulder or the like over the join so its unnoticeable during the game. Also if you go for the magnetic option, it will want to stay together. So instead of having a single [] you have a [ and a ] which combine together. This also allows you to have two trays for smaller units for smaller games or other armies, in this case two 5x5 trays.

Although on the subject of magnets, I've never been quite that wealthy and I have had an unending supply to blue tac keeping my models down. Especially the standards.