PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my collection of Paint and Brushes (NOT Series 7)

Servant
09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
I've been looking to update my collection of painting materials, around for a mid-range set of brushes (thinking about the vallejo or reaper sable sets) and a bunch of new colors to add to my palette. Last brush set I had was from the Army Painter and it was slightly disappointing.

Anyone have any experiences with the Vallejo brushes (I remember having a 10/0 one back in the day and it was the bee's knees)? Or otherwise, the new Citadel colored handle series?

oni
09-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't have any experience, but I'm fairly sure Vallejo brushes are Windsor Newton which as well all know get great reviews.

TheBitzBarn
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I like the American Painter series They are Synthetic but hold points well and last decent but not to expensive. I tend to trash them after an army as they are only 3 to 4 dollars a brush and They have 0 all the way to 18/0 and I like them reliable good quality but cheap enough I do not get upset is damaged.

GW new ones are Better but no real detail brush and still too expensive in my opinion

AoM
09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
W&N university series. synthetic, but well made. That, or the actual Kolinsky Reaper brushes.

Servant
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Specifically, I'm looking for a nice basecoat brush that doesn't leave unsightly streaks. My Army Painter Regiment brush failed after ONE marine. I've had generic synths paint better and last longer. Awful.

I've got a budget of around 30 bucks for both paints and brushes combined... I'll take the Reaper and Vallejos into consideration.

relasine
09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
While not exactly what you're asking, I bought a P3 Studio Work and Detail brush at the start of the summer and have been using them all but exlusively for probably about 6 or 7 hours a week, and they are still going strong. At around $11 each, they're a little pricey, but I'm converted 100%.

Tetz
09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I found out that I am apparently very hard on my brushes and ended up causing 2 of my brushes to lose a point after one unit of chaos marines. I ended up replacing them with a couple of reaper brushes and fell in love. The brush holds a point very well, the paint goes on smooth and I am now painting 'eavy metal quality... okay the last part was a lie but the brushes have been very good to me ;)