PDA

View Full Version : New Use for Old Units in Storm of Magic?

Chronowraith
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
So now I realize we've only heard the vaguest of rumors surrounding the rules and playstyle for Storm og Magic, but, given what we have heard has anyone else gone through their army book and searched for units which might seem more usable at the higher point levels and higher magic found in Storm of magic?

I've been digging through the Skaven book and the one unit that stands out to me is the Verminlord. Under most circumstances this guy is mediocre at best. In storm of Chaos where, last I heard, the game centers around wizards capturing magical fulcrums I think a big terrifying beast who is also a level 4 sorcerer would hold a number of advantages. Namely if he can't melt your face he can just rip it off.

I've also been eyeing up the Hierotitan and Casket of Skulls (the Casket is awesome in normal games even) for Tomb Kings and the Cygor for beastmen.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this matter? What units are you looking forward to using in Storm of Magic that you don't usually pull out of your transports or off your shelves?

BrokenWing
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a level 4 Chaos Sorc. I'll use that I don't normally, if I actually play Storm of Magic. Unless the rules are alot more interesting than what I'm hearing (magic isn't my favorite phase, and now they want to make it the focal point?) I'll probably just buy the terrain and models. If I were to play that Sorc. would get used alot more often....not sure I'd look for any other units.

quinn
06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm in the process of building/converting a unit of Khorne Knights mounted on Juggernauts, something similar to the Brass Riders in the BRB. If there is a way to run them, I'll definitely be using them.
The other unit I will probably try out is a Chaos Lord on a Manticore or Dragon, even if it is susceptible to Cannons and all, it would be fun to use in a Beer and Pretzels type of game that this looks like it will be.

BrokenWing
06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Chaos Lords on Dragons are awesome. And cost just as many points =).

Can't really imagine a reason to take a Manticore when there are so many other really good mid range mounts in the Chaos book.

Atreyu
06-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I heard that Storm of Magic is going to be mainly for gmes over 3000 points. So basically its either you play a regular game or a storm of magic one. Too expensive for my taste I dont want to have to buy more models just to be able to play a different version of my game where the biggest part is my least favorite phase in the normal games.

BrokenWing
06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Agreed. Sign me up for the terrain and models though. We already play 6k+ games with no problem using the allies rules in the 8th Edition rulebook. I was hoping Storm of Magic would allow for more interesting rules in big games like Apocalypse did for 40k, but so far it sounds like all that matters is Magic and controlling some phancy terrain with your spell casters...I have army lists for pick up games that don't even have wizards.

Atreyu
06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm thinking that Strom of Magic is like 40k Apocolypse games at least thats how I'm going to take it it will be very interesting to use the allied rules to do 6k+ games in the store and watch things blow up in your face fairly quickly. At least that makes more sense to me is to get people together and just have a big game like that it adds more to the theme of the battle and makes it more towards a realisitc approach.