PDA

View Full Version : I need a Hero!

Thornblood
06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
So, I seem to like taking alot of heros of late. Whilst Im playing more and more horde units, an extra three attacks with a great weapon can really help break through the toughest opponents units. Magic items are almost as expensive as another hero, and I would (normally) much rather have two heros with mundane weapons in a unit than one with 50 points worth of survivability/killing.

Also, I play empire. Which means I am used to my heros not being the toughest around. But an extra punch in every combat unit really makes a difference, and then the now free units can gang-up on the big lord.

What do other people think? I used the same principals in my Chaos army (but that has gone to better home now)- big block of forty marauders with a hero leading can give them some real staying power and a serious bit more oomph when it comes to combat. Two of those can often do waaaay more damage than the points equivalent of some more elite stuff (well everything apart from hounds are more elite than marauders).

Can I tempt anyone with more hero's without magic items?

Chronowraith
06-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I use several heroes myself. But then Skaven heroes are cheap enough that I can buy them a magic item or two and still spend less than 100 points. My favorite being the suicide squad of warlock engineers (cheap warlocks with Doomrocket, death globe, or brass orb).

In 2500 points I usually run 5 hero level characters

Atreyu
06-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree with you on how hero level characters can do well without magic items, but IMO its hard to not take the magic items because they help so much. They give you fantastic protection and makes you last almost the entire game. However I play Tomb Kings so magic items are normally mandatory.

BrokenWing
06-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Considering my hero with magic weapon ignores armor saves...no you can't.

Lord Sandwich
07-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Considering my hero with magic weapon ignores armor saves...no you can't.

Considering my Night Goblin Big Bosses have 3 S6 attacks each and are 34 points... yes. Yes he can.

Lord Castellan
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
For a Dwarf its tough. In 2500 points I have my Lord percentage maxed out. Because of this the only Heroes I take at all is a BSB and maybe an Engineer or Runesmith.

For me, my two Lords with magic are what its all about. My Runelord has the Anvil which slows down my enemy, picks off small units, and allows me to move shoot charge my opponent's big nasty units. Add in his Master Rune of Balance and im getting an extra four dispel dice and my opponent is losing one.

Then my Dwarf Lord, on shield bearers with the proper runes. He is immune to killing blow, has a +1/+4, which everything above S5 counts as S5, so you always need at least 4s to wound and he will always have a 3+/4+ with three wounds.

Anti-Magic, Army Buff, and an Unkillable Lord. I dont have time for Heroes :D