PDA

View Full Version : Warmachine Video game

Deadlift
06-23-2011, 12:57 AM
http://www.beastsofwar.com/warmachine/official-e3-warmachine-video-game-trailer/

Looks ok at the moment, a bit hack and slash but thats just my initial thoughts

Gotthammer
06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Interesting. If you can play as all the casters, yes; if only Striker, no.

Kieranator K82
06-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Incredible. Just from that trailer, the game seems to function/ play out in a similar way to a WM/H game I envisioned in my head a few months ago. Where's my tinfoil hat?! :eek:

scadugenga
06-23-2011, 06:24 AM
From the trailer it looks like you will be able to play any of the 4 original battle box casters.

I'm sure they just used Stryker as gameplay demo because he's the first one they finished.

Looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll have it released for the PS3. ;)

eldargal
06-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Skanky masked ho may convince me to give WM a try with a Cryx box.:rolleyes: Interesting to see how this game turns out.

@52s what the heck, you block a hammer blow with a sword? Do you want to be squished to goo man? Be thankful its a video game. Also block with the flat in future. Amateur.

Why does this vodeo remind me of the Stratholme instance in WoW.

wittdooley
06-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Good call on Strat, EG.

I'm really excited/intrigued by this, though I still can't figure out exactly how gameplay will be! It looks like you'll be able to control Jacks, but what happens to your caster while you're doing it? Excited to see how that plays out.

I'm not going to lie. I'd Love Love Love Love Love to see a Fire Emblem-style RPG in the Privateer verse. God. I would buy that right now. They could simply rebrand a Fire Emblem game with Warmahordes guys and I'd buy it.

Lord Azaghul
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm not going to lie. I'd Love Love Love Love Love to see a Fire Emblem-style RPG in the Privateer verse. God. I would buy that right now. They could simply rebrand a Fire Emblem game with Warmahordes guys and I'd buy it.

This! I would prolly go out and buy that, haven't bought an RPG since KoTOR (yes I'm that old)

Kovnik Obama
06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
@52s what the heck, you block a hammer blow with a sword? Do you want to be squished to goo man? Be thankful its a video game. Also block with the flat in future. Amateur.

It's a reverse scythe with a mechanikal frost generator on the cutting edge, so that's why she swings it that way.

His blabe is a Caspian battleblade, designed to kill trolls and trollkins, and isn't designed to cut or stab, but to crush. Certainly 3 times the weight of the scythe, so it's going to have a lot more momentum then her strikes.

His armor also most likely have massive strenght assist, while her's is on the lighter side.
EG, your right, Deneghra also looks sweet. On top of things she is an amazing Caster

OH AND GOD Sorscha looks amazing

Kieranator K82
06-23-2011, 05:56 PM
If it is anything like the version I envisioned months ago, 'Focus' will be represented by what the player is controlling, ie you're normally controlling the Warcaster, but press a button to 'Focus' on one of your Jacks, and the player gains control of the 'Jack. While controlling a 'Jack, the Warcaster is little more than a vegetable, with basic blocking skill, and while uncontrolled, 'Jacks function less efficiently and more like the dumb steambots they are. Only when a 'Caster is 'Focussing' on a Warjack is it's true potential unlocked.

scadugenga
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Why does this vodeo remind me of the Stratholme instance in WoW.

I think it's called computer programmers having no real-world combat experience. :)

But on the game-fluff side--warcaster armor is magically enhanced to hell-and-gone, so that probably plays a huge part.

Though I'm with you--they just don't understand the physics and realities of melee combat. ;)

Ugh...Strat. Brings back old memories of "what'll we do today, gang? Run Strat? Again? How many times tonight?" blech.

eldargal
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Well I grant powered armour and whatnot may make a difference, but you would be surprised how little weight does. If you had a two kilogram sword and did that while I swung a 700gram mace/hammer/etc at it I would easily smack it out of the way, jar your arm and possibly break it which wuld be the least of your problems because my macehead would continue on into you at speed. While the sword may weigh more and have more momentum, the weight of the hammer/mace/etc is focused at the tip meaning it has far more rotary power (I think that is what is called anyway, I forget)

Its not really a criticism of the game, its fantasy, who cares, I just get annoyed when I see fighting styles that make no sense. Like florentine (duel wield swords), looks flashy, completely impractical.

It's a reverse scythe with a mechanikal frost generator on the cutting edge, so that's why she swings it that way.

His blabe is a Caspian battleblade, designed to kill trolls and trollkins, and isn't designed to cut or stab, but to crush. Certainly 3 times the weight of the scythe, so it's going to have a lot more momentum then her strikes.

His armor also most likely have massive strenght assist, while her's is on the lighter side.
EG, your right, Deneghra also looks sweet. On top of things she is an amazing Caster

OH AND GOD Sorscha looks amazing

Deadlift
06-24-2011, 01:39 AM
I suspect that game play wise you will have a "group" to choose from at the start menu. Then when you enter the game itself you will be able to switch between your jacks, units and caster much in the same way as you switch characters in the lego games, with the characters your not using at the time assisting you in the combat.

And yes I do like the Lego games lol

scadugenga
06-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Its not really a criticism of the game, its fantasy, who cares, I just get annoyed when I see fighting styles that make no sense. Like florentine (duel wield swords), looks flashy, completely impractical.

Florentine is perfectly practical if you actually know and can use your offhand weapon offensively and defensively.

Musashi would also disagree with you. :P

Though I will concede that a sword-n-board'er has much more usefulness in a field battle.

eldargal
06-24-2011, 06:41 AM
I've never met anyone with the coordination to wield two swords well enough to trump me with one and a bare hand to grapple. They have to focus so much on what their off hand is doing they can't use their main hand as effectively. A duelling dagger is different obviously, but even then I prefer having a hand free.

Denzark
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
I've yet to see either florentine or warhammer or sword and buckler made of depleted uranium and encrusted with diamonds, that can negate the beaten zone of a GPMG in the SF role.

(Beaten zone - a cigar shaped cone approx 5x1m with 1 round every 4 inches.)

scadugenga
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I've never met anyone with the coordination to wield two swords well enough to trump me with one and a bare hand to grapple. They have to focus so much on what their off hand is doing they can't use their main hand as effectively. A duelling dagger is different obviously, but even then I prefer having a hand free.

It helps to be 6'8" and functionally ambidextrous. ;)

@Denzark: Unless you can get to the shooter before he can depress the trigger--nothing is going to trump a gpmg...

Deadlift
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
yeah well I can shoot lightning out my arse, trump that :)

Kovnik Obama
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Well I grant powered armour and whatnot may make a difference, but you would be surprised how little weight does. If you had a two kilogram sword and did that while I swung a 700gram mace/hammer/etc at it I would easily smack it out of the way, jar your arm and possibly break it which wuld be the least of your problems because my macehead would continue on into you at speed. While the sword may weigh more and have more momentum, the weight of the hammer/mace/etc is focused at the tip meaning it has far more rotary power (I think that is what is called anyway, I forget)

I sucks at physics, but my martial art experience tells me that said 'rotary power' would be negated by blocking at the shaft, closer to the axis of rotation. Which is what Stryker did in the video.

scadugenga
06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
yeah well I can shoot lightning out my arse, trump that :)

Youtube it, or it didn't happen. :)

eldargal
06-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Well I'm ambidextrous too so that might help, but actually I think size is more of an impediment than advantage (I'm 6ft so I know this from experience too:rolleyes:). Damned little people darting about everywhere.

It helps to be 6'8" and functionally ambidextrous. ;)

@Denzark: Unless you can get to the shooter before he can depress the trigger--nothing is going to trump a gpmg...