PDA

View Full Version : IG FAQ is up

revnow
09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
IG FAQ is up

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470041a_FAQ_ImperialGuard_2009.pdf

Gotthammer
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow, it covered pretty much everything... I'm impressed.

Grotzooka
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Hmmm... Clarification on hot-shot lasguns and FRFSRF is good. However, I predict there will be some ranting about the "Advisor benefits don't stack" and "No taking Demolishers ect. with WH/DH" bits...

MaidenManiac
09-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Neat, and about time...

*gets lost in a PDF file soon located on your computerscreens*

Shallowain
09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm impressed, a GW FAQ that actually answers relevant questions... Did I miss some kind of change in policy?

Aldramelech
09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Looks good, happy with all that.

I can see many a tournament bun fight averted there.

Exitus Acta Probat
09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Has to be the best 5e FAQ they've put out so far.
Unlike that DREK they served up for the space marines, it covered the MOST prevalent and topical queries.
Would have been nice to have some clarification on PBS status (single unit OR model count as psyker count, I know what I think RAW is...but there are those that don't agree).
I don't agree with the lack of Advisor stacking, but frankly didn't double up on them anyway, so doesn't affect me (2nd HQ for me is normally an inq w/phood and mystics).

Love the call on the GKT's.
Not sure about the Leman Russ call...but I get it.

overall, as well as I could have hoped from GW! (other than way too long!) :)

Jackmojo
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Its too bad about the advisors, but I'm glad they addressed it (and even more glad they addressed the Valkerie passenger issue).

Although doesn't this make the valk act rather like an open topped vehicle since it now ignores its own access points.

Jack

jpwyrm
09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Like they said though, it makes sense. Having two Astropath on different part of a battlefield giving contradictory information to reserves could in fact be liability in "real life".

The section on Inquisition books is quite good also. Orders had some cheesy potentials there and I'm glad they made that point clear: no ordering around geneticaly engineered super-human in Terminator armour!

Eyespy
09-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I am both pleased and relieved to have this.

Legionary
09-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Good overall, bad call on the Advisors not stacking though.

Jackmojo
09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Like they said though, it makes sense. Having two Astropath on different part of a battlefield giving contradictory information to reserves could in fact be liability in "real life".

I'm disappointed in it as a rules choice, and the fluff justification is fine, but they could have very well justified the opposite choice as easily.

I am glad it got clarified in any case though.

Jack

Legion91
09-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the link.

The AKH
09-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Hmmm... Clarification on hot-shot lasguns and FRFSRF is good. However, I predict there will be some ranting about the "Advisor benefits don't stack" and "No taking Demolishers ect. with WH/DH" bits...

I can't see the lack of Demolishers et al. in Inquisitorial armies being a huge issue, seeing as they couldn't take them in the previous edition either...

A good FAQ, though, did a nice job of clearing things up.

TSINI
09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I enjoyed this FAQ, not only did it address all the points that were made on BOLS just after the codex release (FRSRF hotshots, stacking, allies etc) it actually made a point of fluffing out the reasons why, even so far as to actually explaining that the hot shot lasgun isnt as robust as the normal lasgun, so can't take the abusive rapid trigger actions required by FRSRF, well done GW, catering for fluff over rules as written.

i'm quite suprised that ogryns and terminators can't travel in valkyries, they'd still count as 2 models, so would take up the same space and weigh the same in the end.

Its too bad about the advisors, but I'm glad they addressed it (and even more glad they addressed the Valkerie passenger issue).

Although doesn't this make the valk act rather like an open topped vehicle since it now ignores its own access points.

Jack

i think the idea is to assume the valkyrie is landed/hovering just above the ground for troops to embark/disembark, so the base still has access points at the rear and sides.

Jawaballs
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
IG FAQ is up

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470041a_FAQ_ImperialGuard_2009.pdf

That was fairly quick and complete!

doskar
09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Scary. GW may have produced a quality FAQ. I hope this is a portent of things to come.

Jawaballs
09-04-2009, 07:34 AM
I enjoyed this FAQ, not only did it address all the points that were made on BOLS just after the codex release (FRSRF hotshots, stacking, allies etc) it actually made a point of fluffing out the reasons why, even so far as to actually explaining that the hot shot lasgun isnt as robust as the normal lasgun, so can't take the abusive rapid trigger actions required by FRSRF, well done GW, catering for fluff over rules as written.

i'm quite suprised that ogryns and terminators can't travel in valkyries, they'd still count as 2 models, so would take up the same space and weigh the same in the end.

i think the idea is to assume the valkyrie is landed/hovering just above the ground for troops to embark/disembark, so the base still has access points at the rear and sides.

I just think that would be giving the Valkrye just a little too much! A cheap model, with loads of fire power, the ability to move 24" from the side table edge and drop off its payload any where from start to finish, should also be able to carry Terminators when Space Marine Rhinos cannot? Why stop there when we can also make them armor value 14 and give them shrouding. :)

Jawaballs

gserhar
09-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't play IG but I have the codex (Love all the 40K fluff and I like having the codex for armies I'll play against to get familiar with their strengths/weaknesses). Gotta agree that as FAQs go, this one is nice, solid, and beefy. Here's hoping GW keeps up this kind of effort!

2wierd
09-04-2009, 11:56 AM

It's similar to Termies not being able to use rhinos/razorbacks - they vehicle wasn't created to handle such bulky passengers. (I would relate it to these troops being taller, but that just opens it up for "I'll have them duck/kneel/sit" - and is not worth the arguing.)

LordKarthas
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Not a fan of the rulling that Hotshot lasguns cant fire at that high rate of fire to begin with but i was never goign to attmpt that with my stormtroopers or anyone else for that matter anyway so moot point i guess

so far otherwise I am impressed/accepting of what they have said

DarkLink
09-04-2009, 08:16 PM
I like how they gave the thumbs down to the Advisor benifits stacking. Before IG, reserve modifiers were extremely rare (other than special characters, the only one I can think of is the Eldar Autarch). Then, the Guard come along with a +2/-2 for 120 pts?
Of course, giving hotshot lasguns wouldn't have been all that bad. Stormtroopers are too expensive. AP 3 is too situational for the points value that GW assigns to it. Thousand Sons suffer the same issue. Getting a few extra shots out of their guns wouldn't have hurt for their points.

Katie Drake
09-04-2009, 10:41 PM
So glad about the Adviser benefits not stacking - no more auto-losing against this combo with my Daemons.

Tigerguy
09-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Glad this FAQ came out before I started an Air Cav army. Non-stacking Advisors kind of nerfs the Air Cav. It is a very good FAQ though. I just wish they would go back and redo some of the other less well done FAQ's.

CrusherJoe
09-07-2009, 03:14 AM
Glad this FAQ came out before I started an Air Cav army. Non-stacking Advisors kind of nerfs the Air Cav. It is a very good FAQ though. I just wish they would go back and redo some of the other less well done FAQ's.

I had pretty much the same thought when I was reading the IG FAQ through the first time. This one definitely sets a new standard for FAQs, one that I hope they continue...and wish they would retro-actively impose on the previously published ones!

Mike Dunford
09-07-2009, 05:09 AM

No, it was the only call they could have made.

1/3 of deployments are Dawn of War, with reserves required. The whole "OK, I put down one company command squad and two big platoons; turn two you get 1/3 of your reserves and I get 2/3; turn three you probably get 1/3 of your remaining reserves and all mine are in; turn four - oh, you've got nothing left on the field" thing isn't just broken, it's broken to the point where it threatens to make things entirely unfun for the opponent.

Vulture
09-07-2009, 05:35 AM
The errata for sure clarifies a number of things - for good or bad (like the astropat thing). But there is still one thing that bothers me and I have already tried to get an answer from GW...

Why on earth don't have the stormtroopers/kasrkin access to a vox caster? Standard troops and veterans have it but the elitarian stormtroopers don't have it? Seems strange to me...

Well, just my 2 cent... ;)

Vulture

sorri
09-07-2009, 09:35 AM
The errata for sure clarifies a number of things - for good or bad (like the astropat thing). But there is still one thing that bothers me and I have already tried to get an answer from GW...

Why on earth don't have the stormtroopers/kasrkin access to a vox caster? Standard troops and veterans have it but the elitarian stormtroopers don't have it? Seems strange to me...

Vulture

I guess it makes sense to me. They are elite forces, and are expected to be able to think for themselves more, and handle "detached duty" for longer periods, so don't need to have a vox caster taking up a slot where more guns could be taken. The regular grunts aren't trusted to know which end of a lasgun is the one that goes towards the enemy, so a vox caster is a very viable thing to include.

Vulture
09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
A voxcaster does not take up the slot of another gun... it's just an addition to one soldier... ;)

Vulture

The West Coast Knight
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Vulture

My question is why would they need it as you would not normally be giving them any orders and that is what the vox is good for now.
These Elite troops would recieve their orders before the battle begins example move behind ememy lines and kill them. Or infiltrate and kill that etc.
Thats why you have the 3 options on what they will do from the begining of the game.
I think orders should only be for standard gaurd or thier comand squads.
Wish that was in the FAQ

Maine
09-12-2009, 01:30 AM
These Elite troops would recieve their orders before the battle begins example move behind ememy lines and kill them. Or infiltrate and kill that etc.

Don't confuse immediate tactical orders with long term strategic orders. There are all kinds of orders.

Lord Azaghul
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Advisor stacking wasn't legal - so there shouldn't have been a quiery - besides you seriously don't need it.

After about 6 months of play - the only advisor worth having is the MoO!

zed
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Advisor stacking wasn't legal - so there shouldn't have been a quiery - besides you seriously don't need it.

Really? He's the last one on the bench for me and two other guard players. Astopath and Fleet often get a game. Each to there own

Lord Azaghul
09-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Really? He's the last one on the bench for me and two other guard players. Astopath and Fleet often get a game. Each to there own

I guess it depends upon how you build you army (which is also makes the book great- so many good builds).

Astopath is probably my #2 choice, but I also don't build my army to depend upon my out flankers (ususally a penal legion or two and a sentinal squad or two)

Officer of the fleet is nice, but so very often I've rather have a medic in the squad - I had one entire touriment where this guys actually did me more harm then good - kept all the opponents with reserves off the table for too long in a KP game!

But mister ordinance has paid for himself so very ofter

Duke
09-22-2009, 10:47 AM

I wouldn't say that the MoO is the top adviosr... I like the astropath and Master of the Fleet.

Duke

Xas
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
for me its astropath first and officer (far away) second. mainr eason is that i play with straken so my command squad is either moving towards the enemy or in cc so there is no time for the MOO to shoot.

I like the astropath very much because in my eyes the ability only costs 15 points (15points you pay for a bodyguard as well who also is 1 wound) and that is a bargain for the ability to get your reserves on 3+ turn2 and reroll flankings.

fleet officer is not to my liking because he works against my playstyle. I rather have all my oponent on the table turn 2 than worrie about that dropping multimelta-speeder for another turn! on the other hand allmost noone in my area uses outflankers so I dont use that part of him either.

Lord Azaghul
09-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I typically run 2 command platoons, 1 moves forward with the troops issuing orders, the other stays back with the MoO, issueing orders to hw teams. I find using two advisors at once far too expensive, and as far as the MoO goes, I just can't say no to a 30pt large blast template!

The other two simply do not suit my play style.

I've rather my reserves show up when the enemy is mid field, and I want as much of my opponent on the field as easy as possible (execpt in planet strike games!)

Eyespy
09-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Oh god no, not at all. The squad can't move if you want him to fire, and he can't target independently so the squad has to forgo shooting if you target anything more than 24" away, which you will want to because it scatters like mad.

OoF on the other hand, forces your enemy to come at you piecemeal, which is suicide against Guard.

Lord Azaghul
09-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I guess my opponents no longer put much in reserve for it to matter to me:D