PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Librarian Powers

Timbo
09-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Can Might of the Ancients and Quickening be used on both turns, or just the controlling player's? It says, "At the start of the Librarian's assault phase" in the book which is a bit unclear. If the librarian is fighting, it could be considered his assault phase.

The AKH
09-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd be tempted to just assume that the power, once cast in your assault phase, would also be active in your opponent's assault phase (providing the Librarian is in an ongoing combat). But I'm not sure if the RAW supports this.

countenescu
09-03-2009, 11:40 PM
It says, "At the start of the Librarian's assault phase" in the book which is a bit unclear.

I don't have the book in front of me at the moment. But really? You find that unclear? So, in your mind, Librarian's phase can be an opponent's phase as well as the owning player's phase as the Librarian might be involved in combat? So, in what assault phase can the Librarian not use this power with such an interpretation? Maybe he couldn't use it if he were not going to be in an assault? But what if you were faked out? What if you used the power and then didn't get assaulted? Do you get to take back the power? Even if you suffered a miscast? Does that mean that you can't cast it unless you intend to assault with the Librarian even if it's your turn? What if you miscast and then think better of assaulting? Because it was the Librarian's turn. . . then it wasn't. . . ? What if he died? Because he didn't assault, it wasn't his assault phase. . . therefore he couldn't use the power that killed him. . . hmmmmmmm. . . put him back on the board with full lives? Maybe just call it a day and get a beer with your mate because you just ran into the infamous "Librarian's assault phase" paradox. "Sorry mate, I remember that you put a wound on the librarian with bolter fire earlier. But then he died and then I got to put him back on the board with full wounds due to paradox! Shut up and enjoy your beer!"

No, I think it's pretty clear what Librarian's assault phase refers to, don't you?

Timbo
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Um, actually no. That's why I was asking. But thanks for the interesting response. Warptime clearly says it can be used at the start of each player's turn. This is where GW suffers from its lack of standardized wording. If it Might of the Ancients said it could be used only in the librarian's controlling player's assault phase it would be much more clear to me.

Xas
09-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Um, actually no. That's why I was asking. But thanks for the interesting response. Warptime clearly says it can be used at the start of each player's turn. This is where GW suffers from its lack of standardized wording. If it Might of the Ancients said it could be used only in the librarian's controlling player's assault phase it would be much more clear to me.

it means what you wrote would be more clear.

he casts it in the assoult phase that belongs to the player who included the librarian in his army list.

if he would cast it in any combat he is fighting there would ahve to be something along the lines "The power can be cast in the combat phase in which the librarian is fighting, bevore attacks are made".

Timbo
09-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Thank you for your sarcasm-free reply. This is what I figured also. The rules are just poorly written. In one case they talk about player's turns and then in the other they talk about a model's assault phase. A model doesn't have an assault phase, a player does. Hence my confusion.

Capn Stoogey
09-04-2009, 02:44 AM
I don't have the book in front of me at the moment. But really? You find that unclear? So, in your mind, Librarian's phase can be an opponent's phase as well as the owning player's phase as the Librarian might be involved in combat? So, in what assault phase can the Librarian not use this power with such an interpretation? Maybe he couldn't use it if he were not going to be in an assault? But what if you were faked out? What if you used the power and then didn't get assaulted? Do you get to take back the power? Even if you suffered a miscast? Does that mean that you can't cast it unless you intend to assault with the Librarian even if it's your turn? What if you miscast and then think better of assaulting? Because it was the Librarian's turn. . . then it wasn't. . . ? What if he died? Because he didn't assault, it wasn't his assault phase. . . therefore he couldn't use the power that killed him. . . hmmmmmmm. . . put him back on the board with full lives? Maybe just call it a day and get a beer with your mate because you just ran into the infamous "Librarian's assault phase" paradox. "Sorry mate, I remember that you put a wound on the librarian with bolter fire earlier. But then he died and then I got to put him back on the board with full wounds due to paradox! Shut up and enjoy your beer!"

No, I think it's pretty clear what Librarian's assault phase refers to, don't you?

I think someone needs a hug...

jeffersonian000
09-04-2009, 04:38 AM
As far as I'm aware, a Codex Space Marine Librarian may only use powers during their turn. Example: a force weapon gives a Librarian a power to remove wounds from a target in only their assault phase, Quicken is used in the Librarians movement phase (per C:SM FAQ) but last only until the end of that assault phase (no hold over), Might of the Ancients specifies that it is used in the Librarians assault phase and only last for that phase (no hold over), Force Dome is use in the Librarian's movement phase yet last until it is the Librarian's turn again (hold over through the opponents turn), etc.

This is not the case with all psykers, as Daemonhunter and Witch Hunter Psykers have powers they can use in any assault phase (Banishment, Destroy Daemon, Hammer Hand), or even only during their opponents turn (Word of the Emperor), while Blood Angel Librarians have two powers that may be used in either assault phase (Might of Heroes, Transfixing Gaze).

In essence, you need to read your codex and the relevant sections of the BRB (pg 50).

SJ