PDA

View Full Version : 40K's Worst Characters...Ever.

mountaincycle661
09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I had a blast reading through the threads about everyones favorite named characters. It got me thinking, though. Sure, everyone has their favorite character they love to play with or look at. But what about those ones that made you cry when you read their rules for the first time? The ones that disappoint over and over again? OR the one that you just cannot STAND to fight.

For me, the title of worst 40K character goes to Ahriman of the thousand sons. And this is coming from a all-dedicated-thousand-sons army owner!!! :eek:

hes 25pts cheaper than ABADDON. So right off the bat, hes INTENSELY expensive. He knows all the psychic powers. At first i laughed, because it said he could use three powers a turn. Awesome! three bolts of change into that dreadnaught?! three doombolts putting out the same amount of fire as a whole thousand sons squad?! But then i cried when it said he couldnt use the same power more than once. so now, all those powers have to be mix-matched against a target that doesnt make sense. Shoot an anti-infantry spell at those marines...followed by an anti-tank spell....followed by....well, nothing else is in range. Bull$hit.

He is not an eternal warrior. a single powerfist hit that sneaks through kicks him back to the warp. hes slow, no options for mounts. hes only T4. He doesnt really fight in close combat as insanely as the other named characters. And my biggest problem with this guy? HES THE MOST POWERFUL CHAOS PSYKER SINCE MAGNUS THE GOD DAM RED AND HE STILL HAS TO PASS PSYCHIC POWER CHECKS, BUT TYPHUS GETS TO USE HIS POWERS WITHOUT CHECKING AND HE STILL GETS A FORCE WEAPON (THAT HE DOESNT NEED TO CHECK TO USE) AND HE GETS TO USE THAT FORCE WEAPON FOR FREE!!!

No thanks, ill just pay 25pts more and get ABADDON. what a freakin travesty.

Prometheus
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow I never thought about it before but your right Ahriman is pretty sad. However I have faced him on the table top and he can be lethal if the player can use him correctly. But that depends alot on the opponent allowing that to happen.

I personally dislike alot of the new Space Marine Characters. I mean its not bad enough they get one basically per unit, no they gotta be amazing. The scout guys is probably the worst (and by that I mean broken) of the bunch. He basically allows a unit of scouts to be a mini-Vindicator Assassin. He even is allowed to pick models out of units to take wounds. No fun at all.

*Side Note: I really don't like the fact that all the firdst founding chapters of Space Marines got one special character except the Iron Hands. C'mon GW wheres the love for the sons of Feris Manis (agruably the most BA Primarch of them all) ? They should have made that Tank Commander special charaster for the Iron Hands not the Ukltramarines, they boys in blue already got like 5 other special characters.

Back to the topic at hand. I also really doin't like what GW did with Lucius the Eternal. He use to be one of the best CC charcters in the game. Now hes only ok. Although he is cheap, for Chaos Characters, at 160pts. He really is not worth taking unless your doing it for fluff reason. He basically a normal Chaos Lord with some interesting wargear. Personally I would liek to have seen the fact that anyone who kills Lucius and enjoys it becomes him play into his rules. Maybe have any model that kills him have to pass a leadership check at the end of the game and if they fail they count as being killed and Lucius counts as surviving for Kill Points.

Guytholimew
09-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I like that idea of the victory points concerning Lucius. Let's write a letter to GW and tell them your cool idea, because it's one of Lucius' defining characteristics and they totally missed out on it in his stats...

I also have to agree on the Ahriman comment.

Abuzorg
09-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Ahriman, weak ? Definitly not.
Tricky to use ? Definitly.

The trick is to get him in a situation where he is not giong to be either swarmed or instant killed (even then a 4++ save helps... a lot). Then he becomes quite a monster. For example, agains't my friend's templar its quite common for him and a squad of Thousand Sons to just get out of their rhino and destroy a whole command squad in close combat. Also, the issue of not being able to use the same shooting attack becomes quite irrelevant since you will always be casting warptime. Then you can cast a mixture of Bolt of Change/Doombolt/Wind of Chaos to great effect.

DarkLink
09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree that Arhiman isn't as good as he should be for that many points, but I wouldn't complain about not having eternal warrior. People complaign about how common eternal warrior is, yet everyone wants their armie's top special characters to have it. Look at the blood angles discussion threads, half the posts plead GW to give Mephiston and Dante eternal warrior.

Telion isn't really all that special, and I certainly wouldn't call him broken. I do think they should have handled the chapter tactics stuff differently, though.

Jwolf
09-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Warptime + Wind of Chaos is a pretty nice combination, but it can certainly be gotten cheaper.

person person
09-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Helbrecht, a chapter master that I'VE SEEN die to 5 Daemonettes!!!

He's the Chapter Master of the most bad@$$ marines ever, and a 90 pt. character in the same codex can pwn him!!!

Zeev
09-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Aun'va

Worse Charachter in the game...bar none.

Either he dies and half your units flee of the table...or pass and become slightly better than guard in Close Combat (and that is a maybe)...

With a two man body guard and base T of 3 he WILL DIE.

The oldest Aun fighting in combat? Totally unfluffy.

You get better at CC if you pass the leadership? wow...amazing...really...and completely and utterly AGAINST THE BLOODY FLUFF.

Hovering on a chair with a Close Combat weapon...that is not even as good as a Witch blade.

Not an IC

210 points....COME ON!!!

I win. /sigh

Why did they take away Aun'shi again?

Ulf
09-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Doom Rider.

Rapture
09-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Telion isn't really all that special, and I certainly wouldn't call him broken.
Getting to choose which of your opponent's models gets wounded goes against one of the most important basics of the game. I don't like it at all. The owner gets to distribute wounds. I play marines and out of respect for the people I play against I would never use Telion.

Farsight
09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Aun'va

Either he dies and half your units flee of the table...or pass and become slightly better than guard in Close Combat (and that is a maybe)...

You get better at CC if you pass the leadership? wow...amazing...

I win. /sigh

He was better in 4th edition when stubborn was more like fearless. Have to agree with you about Aun'shi, now that was a badass Ethereal! The parry rule was awesome.

Back on topic, I have never seen the potential in Zogwort. Seems like tooled up a regular weird boy could do the same job for fewer points.

sorienor
09-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Back on topic, I have never seen the potential in Zogwort. Seems like tooled up a regular weird boy could do the same job for fewer points.

Me either, until a single die rolled turned a Great Unclean One into a squig. Still don't play him very often but I have an upcoming game vs marines with both lysander and pedro and I'm considering throwing him in...:D

Xas
09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Me either, until a single die rolled turned a Great Unclean One into a squig. Still don't play him very often but I have an upcoming game vs marines with both lysander and pedro and I'm considering throwing him in...:D

you can't squiggify a greater deamon because you can only squiggify ICs and the GUO isnt... otherwise he could attach to any squad he wanted to :D

ohh and I agree on ahriman. he's a total joke. that space marine named cahrackter without even a powerweapon is 2nd bad though :)

Tigerguy
09-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Have to agree with Zeev, Aun'va sucks. Ahriman doesn't really suck, he is just very expensive for what you get. Aun'va just sucks.

Shallowain
09-05-2009, 02:13 PM
One character that completely sucks is Belial from the dark angels. He is in every respect worse than a vanilla marine captain, he doesn't even get any bit of interesting wargear. He doesn't even get an Iron Halo! The only thing that actually goes for him is, that he is cheap And he is a necessity for deathwing players.

Shadowseer
09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
aun shi... WTF did he do????????

person person
09-06-2009, 01:44 AM

Do It!!!

You should keep track of what you squiggify by putting bitz on the squigs base:D

Benandorf
09-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Anything tau, if you mean fluff.

If you mean underpriced.... Marbo.

Commander Vimes
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Aun'va for being the only character who hurts you're army while alive. Making everything stubborn is nice, till you start passing moral checks on the few surviving troops in a close combat, letting your opponent assault again by winning the combat on your turn. If it worked on Kroot it might be worth it.

Liquidice
09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
lol, the worst character for me has to be Mephiston. He is described as the most powerful librarian out of all of the space marines ( i think it says maybe Tigris is his equal). And what does this all powerful Librarian get? A jet pack power, D3 attacks in CC, and -1 to enemy attacks....COMON he survived the RED thirst and was essently reborn COMON!!!

MaidenManiac
09-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Aun'va

You get better at CC if you pass the leadership? wow...amazing...really...and completely and utterly AGAINST THE BLOODY FLUFF.

Hovering on a chair with a Close Combat weapon...that is not even as good as a Witch blade.

Not an IC

210 points....COME ON!!!

I win. /sigh

I third this one
210 pts of flaws for your army, incredibly bad:mad:

Honestly Im not sure if Id use him even if he was a free model:eek:

Ghoulio
09-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I would have to say the Mandrake character out of the Dark Eldar book. He is the worst character in the game for the single worst unit in the game...nuff said (plus the picture of him just looks RETARDED).

Patternmaker
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Aun'va

Not an IC

210 points....COME ON!!!

I win. /sigh

Haha yeah, Zeev you have a good point.

Subject Keyword
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Skulltaker.
He's cheap as balls, only takes up half an HQ slot, and he is a merciless rapist in close combat. Put him on a Juggernaut and stick him in a squad to absorb some bullets, and he can close on anything and fill it with brand-new orifices. I f**king sick of getting destroyed by one Psycho dude.

Abominable Plague Marine
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
hehe, calling the kettle black?

Is this thread about Character with the worst rules vs points, or Character you just HATE?

Morgrim
10-13-2009, 06:28 AM
lol, the worst character for me has to be Mephiston. He is described as the most powerful librarian out of all of the space marines ( i think it says maybe Tigris is his equal). And what does this all powerful Librarian get? A jet pack power, D3 attacks in CC, and -1 to enemy attacks....COMON he survived the RED thirst and was essently reborn COMON!!!

My friend plays Blood Angels. Mephiston has single handedly wiped out half my army on 3 occasions. (Played him when Mephiston was his HQ 5 times.) Killed him once. Although nearly dragged him back to Comoragh that time...

Handled well he is an awesome character. I'd nominate him as character I most hate for that reason if I didn't enjoy some of the crazy things that have happened even as I'm getting stomped.

Wolfshade
10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Mephiston, not really that bad can be a monster in CC, 3 powers per turn etc.

But my nominations comes from codex blood angels:

1. Tycho - named character doesn't give any advantage over a name character unless playing against orks
2. Lemartes - same points a chaplain with jump pack

Both of these are where a named special character have the same points/stats as a unnammed non-special character.

I suppose in that respect then that neither are overly expensive for what they are, but its a case of well what's the point?

Herald of Nurgle
10-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Fabius Bile- Sure he's cheap (165pts?) but he sucks in CC, doesn't get Slaanesh bonus despite being EC, has a crappy statline, and also only allows one squad type in the army to be awesome... but it costs 3pts per model for the chance to lose 25% before you hit CC.

C'Tan- Nowhere near as BA as they are in fluff or as BA as their point costs indicate. They should burn BURN BURN!!!

Duke
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Im going to have to say Cobulo...

-His 12" Furious charge is cool, but...

1. He is supposed to be intrusted with the very bolld of Sanguinius, what equipment do they give him to make sure he lives, and doesn't drop the blood.... Power armour (Not artificer armour or TDA), a Bolt pistol and a chainsword. For lords sake even a lowly sgt. can select from several different weapon loadouts, eg. plasma pistol, power weapon.

Its almost as if they want Corbulo to die.

Duke

Warfare
10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Kaptin Badrukk: an expensive and fairly useless upgrade besides a 24", ap2 autocannon that will hit on average once a turn for a unit that is redundant due to its points cost and ineffectiveness.

Wolfshade
10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Im going to have to say Cobulo...

-His 12" Furious charge is cool, but...

1. He is supposed to be intrusted with the very bolld of Sanguinius, what equipment do they give him to make sure he lives, and doesn't drop the blood.... Power armour (Not artificer armour or TDA), a Bolt pistol and a chainsword. For lords sake even a lowly sgt. can select from several different weapon loadouts, eg. plasma pistol, power weapon.

Yeah that's always a bug bare of mine. I suppose theoretically he is a sanguinary priest so is a more of a supporting role, as you say in the BA rumours thread

"Sgt. Calistus here is your power weapon." "What about mine?" "Sorry Corbulo, you don't get a power weapon... You get a cup!" Its almost like they want this guy to die. - made me laugh

That made me laugh!:D

Duke
10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
LOL, its only funny cause its true.

My theory is that Corbulo is Dante's hated 3rd cousin twice removed so he gets some kind of honour, but Dante secretly wants him to die, hence only getting a cup.

Duke

HellCrusader
05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah but dont forget you can reroll your failed 3+ save... : /

Melissia
05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Just to break the flow of the thread a bit, I nominate all SM characters, because frankly the book spends more time talking about how badass they are than actually giving them any personality worth a damn...

As much as I hate Commander Chenkov for being a wasteful little ****, he does have personality. Sure, he's thoroughly unlikeable, but still, you're not supposed to root for him.

eagleboy7259
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I nominate Ku'Gath the Plaguefather. Standing at almost twice the cost of your basic Great Unclean One, Ku'Gath gets one more wound and one more attack at 300pts. He gets some of the Demon Gifts, but not Unholy Might so he's still completely unreliable at poping tanks. Necrotic Missiles are nice, but they are poisned attacks not able to do anything to tanks. Demons already murder any troop set down on the table so all thats not worth the extra 85pts in my book.

I would also nominate Epidemus, Karanak, and the Masque. Quick run down - good on paper but you have to drop me first and hide me or I die and do nothing for you; I cost the same as a MM land speeder for 1 W, 3 Rending Attacks, and +1 to a basic hounds strength; I'm a T3 2 wound fool with a bad version of lash that can't join units because I'm an independent character.

Schnitzel
05-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Fluff wise, I'd like to nominate the Sangrinator. He's some mystical bad a$$ space marine who shows up out of nowehere to save the Blood Angels from over whelming odds. He's not attached to their command structure, no one knows who he is, yet he's universally accepted by them as one of their own and is revered at that. For all we know he could be an agent of Chaos, some daemon working on subverting one of the most honored loyalist chapters. How the hell do they go about just accepting him as their own and think nothing off it? And how on earth does he get around or even know where and when to show up!? :O

Melissia
05-08-2010, 11:56 PM
My guess is that the Sanguinator is actually Living Saint Celestine in disguise.

BuFFo
05-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Worst character?

Probably anything from that garbage Witch Hunters codex.

Gir
05-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Fluff wise, I'd like to nominate the Sangrinator. He's some mystical bad a$$ space marine who shows up out of nowehere to save the Blood Angels from over whelming odds. He's not attached to their command structure, no one knows who he is, yet he's universally accepted by them as one of their own and is revered at that. For all we know he could be an agent of Chaos, some daemon working on subverting one of the most honored loyalist chapters. How the hell do they go about just accepting him as their own and think nothing off it? And how on earth does he get around or even know where and when to show up!? :O

except that most Blood Angels think of him as no more then a myth.

eldargal
05-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Agreed, Karamazov is an apalling character.

Worst character?

Probably anything from that garbage Witch Hunters codex.

Denzark
05-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Yeah but dont forget you can reroll your failed 3+ save... : /

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH! A thread-necromancer! Prepare the porta-rack and the heavy flamer!