PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Dwarf List

Le_Dragon
07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey, been slowly collecting and working up a dwarf army for some time and have had many builds running through my head which resulted in me going and getting more models and such accumulating to an army of approx 7000 pts sitting at home... But the best part is im yet to play a game which Is what i really wana get my teeth sunk into.

So without further ado, I have put down a 2500 list which I plan on getting some action with (cheesy I know ;-)) and then taking it from there

Just need to know.... will it work?? Hahahahah Feel free to leave thoughts on strengths and weaknesses and Ill give it a go in the near future

General
Runelord w/ Anvil (468 pts) (alot I know but its my only magic defence)
*R. Resistance
*M. Rune of Balance
*R of Spellbreaking
*R of Spelleating
*Anvil of Doom

So I wanted him to completely shut down enemy magic and have a little extra defence incase he got shot at so he has 3+ Re Roll AS with 4+ WS vs Missiles
He steals one power dice from enemy and adds to Dispel dice pool
A Dispel Rune (once only)
A destroy spell rune (on a 4+ once only)
So thats 4 Power dice before the winds of magic have even been rolled :-)

Hero
Thane w/ BSB (165 pts)
*M Rune of Challenge
*R. Resistance
*M Rune Gromril
*Oath Stone

So I wanted him to 'encourage' a big chunky unit of Longbeards to sit infront of Runelord and ensure they dont break and ensure units come to him

1+ Re Rollable AS and when Oath stone is set he must challenge, also the Rune of Challenge to force units into charging and engaging the Longbeards so the Warriors can Rear or flank charge
- hoping this will result in some Overkill resulting in extra combat res points ^_^

Core

39 Longbeards w/ Shields (Full Command) (538 pts)
*R. of Determination
*R. of Battle

Yes a massive horde formation of 'immune to panic' Longbeards. A lovely Anvil unit that has the BSB Thane in it so when Stone is set they then have no flanks and will sit there all day.
This will be aided by Rune of Battle (Combat Res +1) and JUST INCASE they loose a combat Rune of Determination is a single use Break test on a single D6 ^_^ next to the BSB with Leadership 9 Re rolled. So they would have to be beaten a couple times before moving anywhere

2x 10 Warriors w/ G. Wep and Shields (Vet Only) (240 pts)

2 Small Hammer units that i will hang hang back until as much of the enemy is engaged with the longbeards then wheel and flank or rear charge. They only have Shields becasue the models I have are shielded and i wanted to play WYSIWYG

20 Thunderers (Vet only) (290 pts)

Want these guys to sit behinf runelord on hill and dish out as much damage from afar as they can. Will prob be shooting at long range most of the time but thats where their +1 to hit comes in handy
-Vet has brace of pistols not a handgun so that if they are charged they can stand and shoot as charge reaction with all hit resolved at 8 inches which is short range for the 19 other thunderers and long range for the Vet only.

Special
2 x 10 Miners (Vet + musician)(2 x Prospector with Steamdrill) (330 pts)

Ive always loved the idea of a miner poppin up in an enemies rear end tyo clean up some Victory Points and be a literal pain in their Back Side. Have also considered using them as an addition to the rear/flank charge action that will be happening in the main combat with my longbeards if there is nothing juicy enough in the rear of the enemies line.
Musician is in there incase they flee, hoping they will rally before dropping off the table edge- coz thatd suck

Cannon (135 pts)
*R. Forging
*R. Reloading
This thing basically wont misfire, and if it does, unless it blows up it will go again the next turn :)

Cannon (105 pts)
*R. Burning
*R. Reloading
Some flames to scare the 's*&t' outtaWarbeasts or anything woody looking that is begging to be caught on fire

Rare

2x Organ Guns (240 pts)

death by shrapnel. that is all.

So looking at a standard castle set up and taking it from there.

Thoughts????????

Chronowraith
07-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Overall it's actually a pretty standard dwarf list. Strong warmachines backed up by thunderers and with some warrior blocks to deal with anyone making it to the castle.

The miners stand out as a weird addition. I think they could work the way you would like them to but most armies will just send their fast elements to deal with them or shoot them with their own ranged attacks. 10 miners (even if you have two units of them) are pretty fragile and all it takes is one model to die before they lose their big advantage (removing rank bonuses).

I don't play with dwarves enough to give too many suggestions though. Maybe a unit of quarrelers or another unit of thunderers. If you want to keep the miners I'd just do one big unit of 20.

Lord Castellan
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey, been slowly collecting and working up a dwarf army for some time and have had many builds running through my head which resulted in me going and getting more models and such accumulating to an army of approx 7000 pts sitting at home... But the best part is im yet to play a game which Is what i really wana get my teeth sunk into.

So without further ado, I have put down a 2500 list which I plan on getting some action with (cheesy I know ;-)) and then taking it from there

Just need to know.... will it work?? Hahahahah Feel free to leave thoughts on strengths and weaknesses and Ill give it a go in the near future

Love Dwarves, my first and so far only army of Fantasy. I started out making the mistake of too much random stuff and no real focus or power, until I got around to playing an Ard Boys champion and learned my stuff.

Great army to play, very tough with alot of power output if you do it right.

General
Runelord w/ Anvil (468 pts) (alot I know but its my only magic defence)
*R. Resistance
*M. Rune of Balance
*R of Spellbreaking
*R of Spelleating
*Anvil of Doom

So I wanted him to completely shut down enemy magic and have a little extra defence incase he got shot at so he has 3+ Re Roll AS with 4+ WS vs Missiles
He steals one power dice from enemy and adds to Dispel dice pool
A Dispel Rune (once only)
A destroy spell rune (on a 4+ once only)
So thats 4 Power dice before the winds of magic have even been rolled :-)

Good start but you just drop too many points into it. Drop the Rune of Resistance. You cant actually use it. All shots at the anvil are resolved against the Anvil the Runelord only acts in combat. So its literally a waste of points, plus it should be sitting behind cover anyway.

The Rune of Spelleating is really cool, but when it comes down to it its very easy to roll a 1, 2, or 3, and you only get one chance to use it and it can end up being a waste. I recommend sticking with Spellbreakers and saving the points, because you need them elsewhere.

Master Rune of Balance is amazing, never go to battle without it. :)

With the Anvil, keep a few things in mind. Ancient power is shiny but its a real risk to blow your 400 point unit up. Try to use it on one unit at a time if you can, better one unit than none. The Rune of Hearth and Hold is pretty nifty, but frankly with LD9 fear and terror arent too big of a deal and you probably wont use this rune unless against deadly enemies. The rune of Wrath and Ruin is great. Dont get distracted by the 2D6 on ancient power, whats the real goal here is the half movement. Oh got that unit of Chaos Knights? HALF MOVEMENT! Keeping enemies from charging is priority one for Dwarves. Use Wrath and Ruin in the first few turns to slow your opponent down or harass a small unit. Oath and eing so slow Dwarves rarely charge meaning you wont pick your combats too often, and the enemy will always get that extra +1. Not to mention consolidation, an enemy unit sweeping through your flank is bad news. With Oath and Honor you can march 6", shoot a unit to shreds, then charge it and kill it in combat. I dont think any other army can pull this off.

Hero
Thane w/ BSB (165 pts)
*M Rune of Challenge
*R. Resistance
*M Rune Gromril
*Oath Stone

So I wanted him to 'encourage' a big chunky unit of Longbeards to sit infront of Runelord and ensure they dont break and ensure units come to him

1+ Re Rollable AS and when Oath stone is set he must challenge, also the Rune of Challenge to force units into charging and engaging the Longbeards so the Warriors can Rear or flank charge
- hoping this will result in some Overkill resulting in extra combat res points ^_^

Hmmm not terrible. Im adverse to beefing up a character with the BSB. I would suggest taking a powerhouse AND a seperate Thane with BSB. Too be honest, with the points you shave off the Runelord, take a Lord. Make him the general so you actually benefit from higher leadership which the Runelord doesent have. Then if you give him Shieldbearers and the Rune of Stone you get that 1+ save PLUS immune to killing blow AND an extra two S4 attacks. Add in the Master Rune of Steel, and enemies will always need at least a 4 to wound him and he will always have at least a 3+ armor save. He can hold off entire armies!

Core

39 Longbeards w/ Shields (Full Command) (538 pts)
*R. of Determination
*R. of Battle

Yes a massive horde formation of 'immune to panic' Longbeards. A lovely Anvil unit that has the BSB Thane in it so when Stone is set they then have no flanks and will sit there all day.
This will be aided by Rune of Battle (Combat Res +1) and JUST INCASE they loose a combat Rune of Determination is a single use Break test on a single D6 ^_^ next to the BSB with Leadership 9 Re rolled. So they would have to be beaten a couple times before moving anywhere

Not bad. Personally im iffy about Longbeards. They are expensive for little benefit. A unit of Hammerers is not only cheaper, but is also always Stubborn which is AMAZING for you. Take them in a 10 wide formation to get all the extra attacks and thats a powerful unit.

Also, I always take Great Weapons on Dwarves. 90 percent of the time you will always go last anyway, so its much better to have +2 strength and be able to kill more. Youll wound stuff on 2s rather than 4s. Big benefit. Shields dont offer enough protection to matter.

2x 10 Warriors w/ G. Wep and Shields (Vet Only) (240 pts)

2 Small Hammer units that i will hang hang back until as much of the enemy is engaged with the longbeards then wheel and flank or rear charge. They only have Shields becasue the models I have are shielded and i wanted to play WYSIWYG

They will die. ALOT. Take units of 30 or 40 at least. Keep them 5 wide so youll get the rank bonuses and be stubborn for more ranks most of the time. Otherwise youll just take those tray off the table every game. You dont want a maneuverable tactical unit, you need to aim for a tough block that wont die and can dish out a bit of punishment. Survivability is key.

20 Thunderers (Vet only) (290 pts)

Want these guys to sit behinf runelord on hill and dish out as much damage from afar as they can. Will prob be shooting at long range most of the time but thats where their +1 to hit comes in handy
-Vet has brace of pistols not a handgun so that if they are charged they can stand and shoot as charge reaction with all hit resolved at 8 inches which is short range for the 19 other thunderers and long range for the Vet only.

Great unit, lots of shooty, but dont use it like that. Put it forward probably on the very front lines. You want this unit to shoot as soon as possible, and then hopefully if it gets charged it can stand and shoot and wipe out the enemy at least enough to survive the charge and shoot again. Every enemy army will charge you, they will have to, so make sure you get those shots off as much as possible.

Special
2 x 10 Miners (Vet + musician)(2 x Prospector with Steamdrill) (330 pts)

Ive always loved the idea of a miner poppin up in an enemies rear end tyo clean up some Victory Points and be a literal pain in their Back Side. Have also considered using them as an addition to the rear/flank charge action that will be happening in the main combat with my longbeards if there is nothing juicy enough in the rear of the enemies line.
Musician is in there incase they flee, hoping they will rally before dropping off the table edge- coz thatd suck

They will almost never get into combat. And if they do itll be at the beginning of the game and they will get torn apart. I really recommend dropping them and spending the points on warriors. Units this small will die fast, and since the enemy will have to come to you, the Miners are too slow to catch up.

Cannon (135 pts)
*R. Forging
*R. Reloading
This thing basically wont misfire, and if it does, unless it blows up it will go again the next turn :)

Cannon (105 pts)
*R. Burning
*R. Reloading
Some flames to scare the 's*&t' outtaWarbeasts or anything woody looking that is begging to be caught on fire

A little expensive for my tastes but good. Shoot down monstrous creatures immediately and then grapeshot til you drop.

Rare

2x Organ Guns (240 pts)

death by shrapnel. that is all.

EXCELLENT! :D

So looking at a standard castle set up and taking it from there.

Thoughts????????

Its a good start but it needs work. You have a bunch of small units that will die fast and alot of wasted points. Take some bigger and beefier units that will survive and take advantage of your powerful shooting. Its all about powerful defence, dont give anything away.

Good to see you off to a decent start!

Le_Dragon
07-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Wow, such a comprehensive critique. Would expect nothing less from a Dwarf with clearly a much Longer Beard.

While I have your attention im looking at the total for the army and wondering this

if i say i am playing a 2500 pt game, what is the perameters for going Under/Over that exact number.
Does my army have to have that exact point value or is there commonly leniance around an extra 50 or so points, how does it go??

Lord Castellan
07-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Wow, such a comprehensive critique. Would expect nothing less from a Dwarf with clearly a much Longer Beard.

While I have your attention im looking at the total for the army and wondering this

if i say i am playing a 2500 pt game, what is the perameters for going Under/Over that exact number.
Does my army have to have that exact point value or is there commonly leniance around an extra 50 or so points, how does it go??

Erm you gotta stick to 2500 points, thems the rules. Also, you have to stick to the percentages too.

No more that 25% of your army can be Lords
No more that 25% of your army can be Heroes
At least 25% of your army must be Core
No more that 25% of your army can be Special and you can have no more than 3 units of the same type
No more that 25% of your army can be Rare and you can have no more than 2 units of the same type

So in a 2500 point game 25% is 625 points and you cant go over.

Le_Dragon
07-12-2011, 05:33 AM
General
Runelord w/ Anvil (463 pts) (alot I know but its my only magic defence)
*R of Resistance
*R of Stone
*R of Preservation
*M. Rune of Balance
*R of Spellbreaking x2
*Anvil of Doom

----I wanted to make him a little harder to kill. I have left Ro Resistance on as I believe that hits against Anvil are randomised against Guards and RuneLord?? Please corret me if im wrong. I didnt opt for MRo Gromril here as I believe it will be better utilised on my BSB

Heros
Thane w/ BSB (165 pts)
*R of The Furnace
*M Rune of Spite
*M Rune Gromril

-----Got rid of the Runic standard and made him Nigh impossible to kill im hoping. Went for MRo Spite over Preservation to cover all bases. He will be deployed in Longbeards unit

Thane w/Shield (72 pts)
*Ro Stone

----I feel this is cheap for the added benefit of extra attack and protecting the front of the warriors unit

Thane w Shield (87 pts)
*Ro Stone
*Ro Warding

-----Had 16 pts left over and wasnt sure what to do so got the Rune to protect warriors unit and both Non BSB Thanes that will deployed in the front of the warriors unit

Core

39 Longbeards w/ G Wep (Full Command) (577 pts)
*R. of Determination
*R. of Battle

----BSB goes in here. Changed to GW for extra punch and in horde formation for many attacks as possible

28 Warriors w/ G. Wep (FC) (305 pts)

---2 Other Thanes go in here. Deployed 5 wide for rank bonus.

20 Thunderers (Vet only w/ BoP) (290 pts)

----Went for the Vet w/ BoP to get that Stand and Shoot response at short range for all of Unit. was tempted to give them shiwelds but ran outta pts.

Cannon (130 pts)
*R. Burning
*R. Forging

--- Swapped over to forging for the extra points. This is purely to make sure i get panic in enemy cav.

Grudge Thrower w/ Engineer (170 pts)
*R. Accuracy
*R. Penetration x2

----Either a monster killer or Big Unit deminisher. Engineer there incase i have to deploy out of line of sight and use indirect attacks

Rare

2x Organ Guns (240 pts)
--- Nothing is making me drop these babies

Total 2499 ^_^

And yes I still havnt managed to wrangle someone in for a game. I feel bloody well prepared when it happens though hahahahaah

Lord Azaghul
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
I’d like to direct you over toward bugmansbrewery.com
You’ll get the best dwarven advise on the interwebs

You’ve still got a few issues here. No offense but you list seems built very much with 7th ed in mind.

Still WAY too many points on the AoD Lord

If you’re keeping the AoD (which I advise against) Reduce the runic items and pick up another RS. Better then keeping your eggs in one basket.

Thanes: You have far too many. 8th ed is about volumn of attacks. and durability. 70pts of great weapon warriors = 7 attacks. Mr thane is only 3, and only 2 wounds. Just take the BSB. Save the points for warriors

Longbeards. No GW for these guys. No battle and No detemination
Give these guys shields and the Mro Grungni. Remember, durability. If you want GW take hammerers.

Warriors: good, maybe up to 30

Thundersers: bad. Sorry this unit isn’t worth it in 8th. If you want block shooters – take quarrellers. WM’s have a far better damage out put for the price.

Cannon: good .

Stone thrower: drop the 2nd rune of pen. You don’t need it. Save the points for another scroll.
In fact I take 2 stone throwers standard in 8th

OG:x2 = great. Gun still scares the crap out of most ppl – even though the GT’s are more deadly!

Cutthroatcure
03-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I would go with Quarellers over Thunderers! You will find the latter much better at messing stuff up!