PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see get a codex?

Prometheus
09-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Which Chpater of Space Marines/ Traitor Leagion/Xeno species do you feel most deserves a codex that does not already have one? Possibly one of the First Founding Chapters, or perhaps a rather newer Legion of Chaos Marines organized post Heresy or maybe a certain Eldar Craftworld?

Personally I would like to see the Iron Hands get a codex. I mean they didn't even get a spec ial charter in the Space Marine codex and thier the only first found loyalist chapter that didn't. I feel they are different enough from the standard marines to write a codex for. I think they would use alot of dreads and tanks and have bionics everywhere but on average be slower or more expensive then your standard Blue Boy. I also don't see them using psychic but instead have them allowed Tech Priests of somesort. The inclusion of a special character with a phase bladde (li.e. the living metal weapon like necrons have) would also be interesting.

I would also like to see the Alpha Legion get a codex. Just like the Iron Hands they don't have any special characters or anything and they are a first founding chapter after also. I mean they could really have some fun with these guys. There whole deal is setting up small cabals of worshipers deep inside Imperial planets and also sneaking into loyalist units and at the right moment turning on them. The mere idea of some of my own men turning on my units mid game is crazy. I honestly don't know how GW would balance this though, maybe have them deepstirke into units or somthing.

I would also like to see the Sons of Malice get a codex but I know it will never happen as they are the Chaos Space Marines that worship the Chaos god Malal. Malal is the god of chaos fighting chaos and so the Sons of Malice would be like good chaos marines... an odd concept I know.

As it pertains to Xeno, I don't know. I think thge Hrud would be cool but really hard to nail down as their race is not unified and they all are natural teleporters.

clkeagle
09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
You're going to have difficulty getting this kind of discussion going... I don't think there's many members of this forum that would prefer seeing an all-new codex until all 3rd and 4th edition armies have been updated.

But in all seriousness... Adeptus Mechanicus would be a welcome addition to Imperial forces, even if it was just an auxiliary/allies list. If a sixth Astartes codex was to be produced, Iron Hands would make as much sense as anything.

Xenos: the Kroot have existed, in one form or another, since Rogue Trader. Yet they were given the "conquered" treatment for the first Tau codex, then had a partial army list with no support or models. I wouldn't mind seeing someone at the studio reworking Kroot from scratch and developing a full army. Maybe in 6th edition they can overthrow their Tau oppressors... Squats/Golgothans/Demiurg would be nice to see again, and Jokaero would be interesting to develop.

Chaos: I thought Games Workshop abandoned the Malal thing years ago? Either way, a full-scaleLost and the Damned codex should be the highest priority of any never-before-completed release.

Chris*ta
09-03-2009, 10:48 PM
For Loyalist SMs, my favourite chapter that never got enough coverage is the Scythes of the Emperor.

In terms of Imperium more generally, I'd like to see Ad Mech or a IG abhumans codex -- there's a bunch of good ideas there that aren't playable under the current IG codex.

As for Chaos SMs, I must say I'm not really familiar with them enough to comment, but Malal worshippers sound cool (I have vague memories of Malal from an old Kaleb Daark (?sp) comic that I have.

Again though, i'd prefer a LatD codex.

As for xenos, well ... I don't want to reset the clock.

Wooh! First post ever. Hi y'all.

Fantomex
09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Ah, Prometheus, seeing that was just the boost I need this morning! :D
It's good to see more people after Iron Hands, we really are the neglected chapter, despite our lack of weak flesh!
It would be wonderful to see, other than the obvious codex-included characters and chapters, they pretty much are the only chapter who have had models released without getting a full codex.
I don't know whether it was ever in the pipeline and popularity wasn't enough, or whatever, but I quite literally wish daily for this to arrive..
Obviously, it'd be well after all the others who need it more get updated, but it would be a thing of wonder..
I could see an AdMech codex though. That would quite honestly rock.

Xas
09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
tbh AdMech is the only new codex I could bear.

other than that I want codex:Inquisition and chaos legions (codex:deathguard, codex:world eaters, codex:thousand sons, codex: whatevertheslaneshisarecalled, codex:iron warriors, codex:word bearers, ....) so we no longer have to use codex: black legion/astral claws/renegade marines.

Lanparth
09-04-2009, 02:05 AM
The Undivided Legions, Word Bearers, Alpha Legion, and Iron Warriors.

energongoodie
09-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Iron hands all the way. The model possibilities would be awesome. They are first founding and they are true to the emperors original vision i.e if it isn't human, kill it. If it disagrees with us, kill it. You mess with me, I'll kill you.
So much of 40k art back in the day was concerned with cybernetics but I do not think it has ever been fully realised. Irin Hands H.Qs would be awesome.
I'm thinking maybe the new wolves codex could be used for iron hands. A top class dreadnought, troops with more equipment, if there is a character that gives feel no pain to a squad then the squad could be considered to have bionics etc

thoughts?

Feuermann
09-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Malal is not in the current 40k fluff because GW it's not owner of his name( can't use Malal's name)

spinny
09-04-2009, 04:12 AM
I second the call for Iron Hands. But from what we have heard about Space Wolves we may be able to build any army using their rules. Terminators leading tactical squads and a dreadnought character just to start with...

TSINI
09-04-2009, 06:16 AM
CODEX: MOLE PEOPLE

please?....

oni
09-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Here's a subject we can all agree on. :rolleyes:

I personally would like to see a Mechanicus codex. There's almost infinite possibilities with them.

rhacelt
09-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Crimson Fists with special attention to small unit tactics and hatred of Xenos.

Brother Mord
09-04-2009, 07:30 AM
I would like to see the Inquisiton get a rework.

They could use a single codex covering all three ordos, make the variations in wargear or certain units. The Ordo Xenos never had their own codex as of yet and Demonhunters could use an updating. Maybe even split the Sisters of Battle off from the WH and give them their own codex again. Would like to see the Deathwatch get more attention.

An Admech codex would be interesting as well.

rsheridan5
09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I think that at least another 2 of the original 9 loyalist chapters should have a codex, along with at least half of the Traitor Legions. They should also include some bits about some of thier spin off chapters from the second founding at least.
Obviously we can't have a codex for all of the original 18 legions, but some fluff for them, besides the CSM codex and this focus on the big four (Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels).
Index Astartes was good, so maybe they could just expand on those with the additions of new rulesets, and special characters...

Zaklifean
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
As far as loyalist chapters, I dont think there is a need. Thats what the existing Codex: Space Marines is for. Granted the SW, DA, BA, and BT all have their own, but thats because they are not standard codex chapters. My main army is Hawk Lords, and I really dont see a need for their own codex. It just doesnt make sense. That would be like giving each Eldar Craftworld their own codex, or each IG army their own.

Now if we are talking about who needs a codex that doesnt have one, I would go with the Inquisition. Roll all 3 orders up in 1 codex, and that would make a lot of peeps happy. I dont personally run any Inquisitorial army, but I still think it would be nice for them to have their own codex.

I do also think that the Chaos chapters need their own. As far as the main 4. World Eaters, Death Guard, Thousand Sons and Emperor's Children. That would match the 4 Loyalist chapters, that have their own. Then roll all the rest up into the regular Codex: Chaos Space Marines.

doskar
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I would love to see GW finish with the rest of the xenos before they crank out any more marines. As far as a new codex I would love to see Mechanicus. With the quality of the latest GW minis that would be stunning on the table.

TSINI
09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Here's a subject we can all agree on. :rolleyes:

I personally would like to see a Mechanicus codex. There's almost infinite possibilities with them.

my idea of a fantastic mechanicus codex would be:

standard codex selection for all the characters, forge masters, priests, servitors, cultists and defense troops.

BUT it would have an awesome VDR section in the back for creating your own "lost technology" tanks and vehicles from STCs lost way in the past, including a special Super heavy section, for apoc games. so you could create amazing siege machines with fully customizable weapons stats etc.

that would be my ideal vision of the adeptum mechanicus, access to the weird and wonderful machines of the past, not just the regular vehicles of the imperium.

Duke
09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
If there has to be another SM codex I can only think of one obivous entry: The Emperors Pointy Sticks... Think about it!

In all seriousness, Codex Ad. Mech would be cool.

Duke

Larkii
09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Personally, I would just like to see them add back in the divergent/DIY Space Marine codexes. I guess there were problems with how people used the rules, but I had a nice fluffy army with Deamon Hunters, Grey Knights and a Space Marine chapter. The Space Marines worked closely with the DH and were painted similar to the Grey Knights with the "true grit/trust your battle borthers" attribute. Nice back story etc., and then Wham out comes 5th ed and no more divergent chapters. Trying to figure out what to do with those models I did with one handed bolters and CC weapons. Also, I fear what they will do once they "update" the Deamon hunters. What parts of my army will be useless.

Drew da Destroya
09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
A Kodex: Ork Klanz would be pretty cool, although we are working on one over at The Waaagh (http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=36607&st=580).

PlaguedOne
09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Personally, I'm hoping to see a Codex covering the four Chaos Legions devoted to the gods. I'd really like to play true Death Guard with a bit more Nurgle gear. The latest Chaos book feels so stripped of flavor to me.

Dragonmann
09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Well for the Imperium:

Servants of the Imperium - Inquisition with all the Ordos, not just the big three, all 6 assassin houses...

Adeptus Mechanicus

Iron Hands

For the Xenos:

Hrud

Demiurg

Servants of the Old Ones

Prometheus
09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I have apparently stumbled upon a cult of the Iron Father within the BOLS Lounge community. Perhaps we should pool are ideas and begin the long and rather exciting work of writting a fan-dex for the Iron Hands. Any follows who wish to rally behind this idea?

Skragger
09-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Ah, I'd love to see a Kodex Klanz! Bring my Speed Freekz back! :D

Shallowain
09-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Eldar Exodites

Ivarr
09-05-2009, 09:52 AM
SQUATS OR SPACE SKAVEN...LOL :p:D

In actuality, I think that the Adeptus Mechanicus would be cool. I also agree that seeing the armies due for an update like necrons, blood angels, dark eldar would be my priority if I were GW.:confused:

Andrew283
09-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Salamanders or Bargeshi

Tsear
09-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Codex: Necrons and Codex: Dark Eldar, please :)

thirdman
09-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I think from a fluff point of view a Mechanicus codex would win hands-down, but I'd love to see a combined Imperial codex featuring the Inquisition (all Ordos), Assassins, Frateris Militia, Rogue Traders allowing Imperial players to better repreesent the full breadth of the Imperium.

I'd also be quite partial to a Demiurg or Malal* source book.

(* surely enough time has passed that they could come to some agreement over the name now)

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Codex : Krell (Enslavers) - do us like ogre kingdoms in space with low model count and large models plz

Codex : Hrud (would contain Umbra, Ambulls and other nocturnal weirdness)

Codex : Q'orl

Codex : Barghesi (make them bionic Shoggoths plz)

Codex : Cell-Kin

Codex : Chaos Aliens (Saruthi and other fallen xeno civilizations, no chaotic version sof existing races.)

now I just need the GW addys so I can go enslave them to my will...

CrusherJoe
09-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Codex: Inquisition -- but if and only if GW doesn't nerf the good stuff that's in DH/WH and replace it with pablum. Otherwise, leave =I= alone, thanks. :)

Drew da Destroya
09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Ah, I'd love to see a Kodex Klanz! Bring my Speed Freekz back! :D

I've actually been working on that list as a homebrew over at The Waaagh (http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=36607&st=580). There's also an Armored Krumpany and a Dreadbash (don't know if much work is done on the Dreadbash) as well as a list for each Klan, in varying states of completion. It's worth a look through.

sorri
09-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Codex: Inquisition -- but if and only if GW doesn't nerf the good stuff that's in DH/WH and replace it with pablum. Otherwise, leave =I= alone, thanks. :)

My feelings exactly.

mysterex
09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Inquisition definitely.

But with different rules/points cost for the for the stormtroopers to those in the guard codex, they're just way to expensive. Maybe more like veteran guard with grenadier upgrade. I can easily live without the hellguns.

In fact I want a codex that works better than the current version for taking an inquisition army without either sisters or gray knights.

DarkLink
09-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Daemonhunters. I play pure GK's, so I'm a little biased, but Daemonhunters and Necrons NEED rules updates more than any other army.

Dark Eldar: They've been waiting, what, 10 years now?

Necrons. As mentioned above, they really need to have their rules updated.

Chaos and tau and divergent SM chapters can complain about not having new codecies, but they dont need new rules nearly as badly as Necrons, Dark Eldar and Daemonhunters do. Though tau haven't been doing the best lately. They can be in 4th place, I guess.

Ma'rk
09-06-2009, 03:30 AM
I'd really like to see the Tau codex refreshed. Despite the generally negative threads about the Tau that seem to float around the net, it always seems to be a very popular army when I go down to the stores. There's always Tau armies playing, and I think it's obviously popular enough to warrant some love from GW. I'd really like to see some new miniatures as well, since it doesn't really have that many options to choose from. Perhaps some of the Forgeworld stuff could be redone in plastics like they've done with the Valkyrie and Baneblade.

Zeev
09-06-2009, 06:35 AM
There are more negative threads than positive threads about tau because we tau players have our own sites (ATT and TO) and keep away from the rest of you unwashed SM/Chaos/Guard/Orks/Eldar players. :P

However my tau are a popular army...we need a new codex...but unlike 'Crons, DE, and Inquisition we do not need alot of overhaul. A few new units, a few new rules, some points/stats readjustment....and we would be a solid 5th Ed codex.

therealjohnny5
09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
i'd have to agree with the Kroot or AdMech. the Kroot have some cool fluff, gaining abilities of what the eat. and there is a minidex out there. i always wonder why GW doesnt put out official minidexs. i mean screw making the figures for now. just give us the rules option, see who plays them and let us model our own for the time being...

Larkii
09-08-2009, 03:25 PM
My feelings exactly.

Agreed, agreed... I am afraid of what they might do and what parts of my army I may lose.

Dazz
09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Lost and the Damned. Again and again. Either a Cultist Book with Mutants and the like or something new but we need the real forces of chaos back.

RogueGarou
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, the obvious answers are Dark Eldar and Necrons. Next would be some combo Codicii. For example, 2nd Ed promised a Forces of the Imperium. A Codex with entries for Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Arbites, and maybe a Rogue Trader force would be interesting. Alone, I doubt any of those entries would be able to sustain their own Codex but bound together it might sell. The Arbites could have a rule allowing them to be included in Guard or Inquisitor forces or used as a stand-alone force. The Rogue Trader could include the option of having a limited number of selections from other races as well as some choices from other forces. For example, take a single Eldar Pathfinder or Ranger as an Elite choice or a squad of Kroot or Ioxatl mercenaries. The HQ would be the Rogue Trader with a retinue similar to an Inquisitor. The Mechanicus has the best chance of being fleshed out into a full-fledged army but seeing the other units available would be nice for some special scenarios, fluff, and interesting theme armies. If they ever went back to Chapter Approved style armylists, they could see the light of day.

The Inquisition being rolled into one Codex makes sense and allows all three of the branches to finally be represented. Adding a couple of other Assassin Temples into the mix could be fun but not necessary. The Venenum Temple, for instance, could have a chance to wound a character before the first turn and infiltrate onto the board but otherwise be a mostly close combat model with a type of poisoned attack. Creating additional units for the three branches would be nice and with the space not wasted on repeating the Assassin, Stormtrooper, Inducted Units, and Inquisitor HQ/Elite entries would give additional pages for the new units. Still, it would either cut down on fluff pages and/or color plates or be a pretty big Codex.

I would also like to see a Chaos Marine Codex for something besides the Red Corsairs. The current Codex is OK but I would like to see the Traitor Legions return to the fore. Several could be included in each Codex and make it a series of 2-3 Codicii. I don't think,no matter how much we wish, that each power will get its own Codex. A return to something like the Realms of Chaos books would be more likely but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, I think it would be a bad idea to release the Blood Angels/Dark Angels and Black Templars in one book. As long as the current Codex Space Marines is in publication that kind of cross-referencing to the main Marine Codex would work fine but as soon as it was replaced or changed that multi-Codex would be left pretty much high and dry. Instead I think they should each get a Codex like the soon to be released Space Wolves.

That pretty much leaves just the Tau. The 'Nids seem to be coming soon according to the rumor mills and that is fine. So, I guess the Codex I want is ALL of them. Muhahahaha. All your Codex are belong to me. Even if I don't play an army, I have always bought all of the Codex books. I enjoy the fluff and seeing what to expect out each army. Plus, I try to help the folks in my group come up with new ideas and having the Codex on hand makes that easier. On top of that, since we game at my house it is nice to have a copy of the different Codicii on hand in case there is a question or a forgotten Codex.

Remember, Jervis, ALL of them. Give them to us, our Precioussss-es. All of them, yes. Soon.

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
09-09-2009, 12:08 AM
I personally would like to see a "Do It Yourself" space marine codex.With so many chapters you'll never please everyone with a codex,but with a farmers market style DIY codex,players loyal to chapters that will never get a codex can make a fluff accurate force and chapter masters that want to do there own thing can create their own unique chapter.Instead of "count as" figures,figures you make yourself kind of like the regimental doctrines from the back of the previous imperial guard codex combined with the old wargear purchasing system.Stat lines cost X,special rules cost X,chapter tactics cost X, ect.Now here is X amount of points and how many of each you can take, go and make your chapter.

Sitnam
09-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I would like to see an AdMech codex. They are a major force in the Imperium, they very well should be represented.

Of course the Arbites should also be represented, but they seem to minor for a complete codex. I think something like a free online pdf (a la Blood Angels) for Arbites that allows any Imperial player to include them would be great. Maybe BOLS can just 'donate' their Arbites codex.

The Inquisition should definitely be combined into one big mega codex. The three Ordos dont have enough 'meat' to be separated into small codex's. Just put the whole Inquisition in a big, big codex that existing .WH, DH, GK, and SOB players would all enjoy. Maybe make the codex to where your army choices depend on the Ordo (Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus) and ethics (Puritan vs Radical) of your Inquisitor. And if you just wanna play Death Watch, GK's, and SOB's, just take their HQ character. But inquisitors will open up new wargear options, new henchmen options, and new army list options all dependant upon the Ordo and ethics. A Radical Malleus gains Daemonhosts to the army list, a tone down version of a Daemon Weapon to armory, and a chaos themed henchmen. All of these are just examples of course.

I don't feel we need another CSM codex. Wanna play World Eaters? Use Mark of Khorne and Beserkers. Wanna play Emporers Children? Use Mark of Slaanesh and Nosie Marines. Wanna play Word Bearers? Theme a Chaos Sorceror/Lord into a Dark Apostle, and load up on Possessed and generic Daemons. I know its not an exact approximation for the older CSM 'dex, but the 4 god specific legions and the 5 undivided legions can all be approximated. I actually at one point made army lists for Alpha Legion, Night Lords, Word Bearers, and Iron Warriors. They weren't as detailed as the 3rd edition codex, but they were all well themed enough for each legion.

I also wanna see a new Tau codex, but not a new Tau Empire codex like in existence. I'd like something like Tau Allies, a codex to represent Vespid, Kroot, Gue'vesa, and other allies to the Tau in greater detail. I at one point saw some rules that allowed for a Tau player to custom make a single squad of any race of their imagination. Imagine the possibilities with that.

Lanparth
09-09-2009, 01:30 AM
You know what? Chaos Space Marines need a new codex that is Legion based, instead of the Red Corsairs. Sitnam just stated you can build whatever force you like. Yes, thats true.

The only problem is they will lack flavor, detail, and any degree of customization seen in the Space Marine codex. Yes, the bland army. CSM's can be competitive, thats not the problem, the problem is that they've become boring and without real choice of wargear in their list almost at all. Thats the problem.

And Legion specific rules, or at least heroes, would help

Wanna play Word Bearers? You field a Dark Apostle instead of a Chaos Lord, and earn certain perks and recieve certain restrictions.

Wanna play Slaanesh? Once again, bonus + Restrictions.

No, instead we get. "Have your lash Sorc/DP lead your Nurgle army and Khorne backed up force." What a bunch of crap. Bring back some semblence of Legions and factions within Chaos, thats what made it popular in 3rd ed. Renegades don't sell, Legions do.

splnes
09-09-2009, 03:38 AM
i've been saying it for a while... i would love to see a thousands sons stand alone codex. even more so now that wolves are getting updated. they could create the nemisis rule. where when the two armies meet on the same field **** hits the fan kind of thing.

Goresmack
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I think this is a pretty easy question, Dark Eldar and Necrons NEED new rules, I don't play either one but it's time. Outside of that I would like to see a new codex for the traitor legions and the Blood Angels need some respect.

-Goresmack

vipernyc
09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
For the imperium, I'd like to see the adeptus mechanicus get a codex. If it had to be another SM chapter, then I agree that the Iron Hands would be a good choice. Either way, you'd be looking at a lot of cybernetics and heavy machinery.

For Chaos, I'd like to see a Word Bearers codex (since i play them :)) - I'd actually like them to be almost a twisted version of black templars, or even witch hunters - using some kind of dark faith-based powers instead of psykers. At the very least I'd like to see special rules for Dark Apostles. Also, not just making them a daemon-heavy CSM army like they were in 3rd.

For Xenos, I dunno. Probably the coolest thing would be a "dogs of war"-style army made up of all the interesting races and creatures out there that there isn't enough interest or info to do a full codex on. Could include a wide variety of things, like hrud infiltrators, heavy armor from the demiurg, even mercenary versions of established races like ork freebooters, kroot, and renegade guardsmen. It would add a lot of variety, and be even cooler if, like dogs of war, you could hire some units for your regular army (fluff nightmare, yes, but still potentially cool)

BloodDemon
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
That "Dogs of War" idea Is AWESOME!!! Besides those minis would be great to make an inquisitors retinue. Squats!!! Squats!!! Squats!!!

Dark_Templar
09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I would give my left nut for an Ad Mech codex...

Dia
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I would give my left nut for an Ad Mech codex...

And I'd throw in my right.

Emperors_Wrath
09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Crimson Fists all the way!!! Just kidding,they are my chapter but I think the space marine codex and the fluff cover them very well. I have only been playing the game a few months but I have been reading through any codex that I can get my hands on to try and figure out what I will be facing during my games. I am not sure who suggested it but a seperate codex for the main 4 chaos legions would rock. The Ad mech would be pretty good too.

Sitnam
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
The only problem is they will lack flavor, detail, and any degree of customization seen in the Space Marine codex. Yes, the bland army. CSM's can be competitive, thats not the problem, the problem is that they've become boring and without real choice of wargear in their list almost at all. Thats the problem.

Real choices of wargear? Unlike the new SM codex, Chaos squads don't need 10 man squad iirc to get heavy/special weapons. lords and sorcerers both have marks and daemon weapons that also help give them a different wargear set from each other. I guess i'm confused by this statement.

And Legion specific rules, or at least heroes, would help

Wanna play Word Bearers? You field a Dark Apostle instead of a Chaos Lord, and earn certain perks and recieve certain restrictions.

Wanna play Slaanesh? Once again, bonus + Restrictions.
Legion specific rules were complicated and unwieldy in the previous codex. I would have to agree with Tharpe in saying it led to more restrictions and confusion then anything.

However, I completely agree with the special characters. The recent codex's (Ork, IG, SM) all have special characters that changed the shape of the army. This is what allows a Salamander to use the codex and still play as Salamanders, or the Crimson Fist, or any of the non-UM chapters. Same thing with IG and different, non-Cadian regiments. It seems it was only after the CSM codex did they start implementing the new style of special characters. If GW had the foresight of making special characters for the 4 legions not represented as well as other (Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, Night Lords, Alpha Legion.) that would allow different army choices, that would of been a much wiser idea.

However, if you still want to represent your old Legion as fluffy as possible, I dont see why modelling your army lsit off that chapter wont just suffice. The problem with having anywhere between 4 and 9 new codex's just for CSM fans is that codex's dont get updated as often as is. SW barely got their new one. Dark Eldar and the Inquisition codex's will probaly never get updated the way its looking. I dont see anyway GW can pump out that many new codex's without neglecting others. A new CSM 'dex, with army list modifying special characters, is probably the better idea then more codex's.

Drunkencorgimaster
09-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I say manbearpig needs a codex because he is the greatest threat humanity faces.

Sitnam
09-13-2009, 01:02 AM
I say manbearpig needs a codex because he is the greatest threat humanity faces.

Are you serial?

Faultie
09-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Who needs it? DE and =I= need it, a codex for each.

What else would I like? Arbites in some form (a Forces of the Imperium book would be neat to see again, but a Chapter Approved list online would be nicer), and Kroot Mercs again (perhaps in the new Tau Codex, there will be an HQ option for a Master Shaper, which lets you take only Kroot?)

Are you serial?

I think he's super-serial!

Lord Anubis
09-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Real choices of wargear? Unlike the new SM codex, Chaos squads don't need 10 man squad iirc to get heavy/special weapons. lords and sorcerers both have marks and daemon weapons that also help give them a different wargear set from each other. I guess i'm confused by this statement.

CSM squads need to be ten models or more to get a heavy weapon. And then, unlike loyalist Marines, you can't split into combat squads so you're trapped with nine guys guarding a heavy bolter.

Yes, sorcerers and lords have different wargear. So do Devastator squads and scouts. Not really sure of your point there. But, yes, both these units have minimal options at best. Especially the overpriced sorcerer since taking a mark ties directly to taking a power, so they're effectively a single choice.

Also worth noting that they stripped the retinue choice out of Codex CSM, so they're automatically down one squad (and all associated goodies) compared to loyalists.

I would love to see the Inquisition and the Dark Eldar get some love, but the current CSM codex is just embarassing when compared to what came before and after. :(

Skragger
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I *LOVED* the 4th ed CSM codex.. It was huge, bulky, cumbersome, complex, and most of all.. FUN.

It has so many many many options and tools and ideas. And the sublists at the back actually let you play real fluffy armies.

I will be fair, I havn't read the new CSM codex, and I'd like to to get a fair appraisal of it, but so far my sights seem to see only grim things in the ways of peer review

mountaincycle661
09-13-2009, 06:11 PM
OH MY GOD. WHY IS EVERYONE *****ING AND MOANING ABOUT THE CHAOS CODEX?!

I know this is covered in the other threads, but honestly....Its not that bad! I still play a fully flushed out and themed thousand sons army. Ive got sorcerors everywhere, thousand sons squads, terminators (THAT CAN ACTUALLY TAKE OPTIONS NOW!). Ive got all kinds of stuff! and its fun, looks good, competitive....

*steps down off soapbox*

Ok, now with that out of the way....The ad mech would be the most likely never-done-before codex. GW has a hard on for all things imperial, we know that. If anyone gets a new codex, it'll be them.

WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER GOD DAMN LOYALIST SPACE MARINE CODEX. maybe i should type that over in red and put it in bold? Look, i know a lot of marine players out there dont feel like their fluff is justified in the rules. But everyone would love to have their own codex, with their own rules, but its just too hard for GW to pull off. Its not going to happen, and i dont blame them. Emperors sythes? Who? What?! Its just not popular enough. GW should stick to the "Big Four", both loyalist and Chaos (meaning BA, DA, Ultramarines and Space Puppies, as well as World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Emperors Children and Death Guard)

Now, the next thing to talk about is the Chaos Legion specific codexes. As mentioned above (and by another poster) if you wanna play the big chaos 4, just choose the relevant cult-troop type and give everything else the mark of your god. For example, if you wanna play Emperors Children, take the lords with the blissgiver, put one on a boob-snake mount. Take noise marines, lots of them! Convert your own raptors or bikers to have demonette heads or some crap. Figure it out.

We dont actually NEED chaos legion specific codexes. i would be nice!....but not necessary. There are others who need it more than we do. Namely, dark eldar and necrons.

Inquisition definitely needs to be wrapped up (all three branches) into one big ol' book. They need to be updated, flushed out and points shifted. I think they would make a very cool, fluffy, interesting army.

Oh, and the tau do NOT need an update...:rolleyes:please, gimme a freakin break. (before anyone cries "biased!", i own and play tau)

DevilUknow
09-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd like to see an Exodite book actually. Dragons, Feral Space Elves, Magical/Organic weapons.

I'd also like to see an Ad Mech book IF (and only if) they bring back the rediculous preprogrammed robots from RT.

And speaking of Rogue Traders, how about a list for them. Imperial OR Xeno allies, retinues, alien tech. I think they could be a pretty colourful force and no just another MEQ list.

darth_papi76
09-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I would love to get my Ulthwe Strikeforce back.;)

imperialsavant
09-14-2009, 07:36 PM
:) Well in order of Priority I would like to see:

(1) Inquisition= All 3 Ordos with Sisters, Grey Knights & Deathwatch options plus inducted Guard & SMs.
(2) Chaos Legions= for all the guys who want the impure flavour of the origional Traitor Legions.
(3) Dark Eldar= who have waited & waited for soooo long!
(4) Adeptus Mechanicus= Awesome possabilities of very different models/rules/ vehicles.

MajorSoB
09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
:) Well in order of Priority I would like to see:

(1) Inquisition= All 3 Ordos with Sisters, Grey Knights & Deathwatch options plus inducted Guard & SMs.
(2) Chaos Legions= for all the guys who want the impure flavour of the origional Traitor Legions.
(3) Dark Eldar= who have waited & waited for soooo long!
(4) Adeptus Mechanicus= Awesome possabilities of very different models/rules/ vehicles.

Well said, I second that. Too bad you most likely will never see most of them!

trjames
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
I've thought of Adeptus quite a bit. It would be interesting to see them able to run a Warhound in a regular game. Perhaps in a 0-1 HQ slot. And maybe GW would put out a plastic Warhound. They did a stompa afterall.

ChaosLord127
10-14-2009, 12:29 AM
1. Daemonhunters (they don't work at all anymore)
2. Dark Eldar (they really need an update, but mostly the models)
3. Necrons (see 2)
4. AlienHunters (Because they don't exist as a list)
5. Adeptus Mechanicus (need I say why? Skitarii are friggin awesome!)
6. Chaos Legions (I don't want to play pirate, I want to play ancient evil marines, bent on conquest and given wholely over to chaos [I also miss the variety of army formations])

I like the Grey Knights way too much to have them be useless to me!

Gregory
10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Spin-offs of existing codices are so fun. While we're already suggesting a codex for every marine chapter ever made, why not expand this to the other Imperial forces? We can have:
Codex: Cadia, Codex: Catachan, Codex: Krieg, Codex: Armageddon, Codex: Valhalla, Codex: Tanith, Codex: Mordian, Codex: Tallarn, Codex: Elysia, Codex: Terrax, and we can even throw in Codex: Attila for good measure. Because those five people who actually play Attilan forces absolutely need their own codex.

Katie Drake
10-14-2009, 02:17 AM
I'd like to see Codex: Eye of Terror rewritten and updated for 5th edition. The Lost and the Damned, Ulthwe Strike Force and 13th Company Space Wolves were all too cool for words. I don't particularly care for the Cadians if only because the current Guard book is practically Codex: Cadian 8th as is.

Melissia
10-14-2009, 06:31 PM
No more Space Marine chapters. EVER.

Anyway. What I'd like to see is a pure Sisters codex, and a pure Grey Knights codex, a pure Deathwatch codex, and then have the Inquisition have a minidex with rules for inquisitors, stormtroopers, and assassins, that can be used in concert with any Imperial codex.

What I don't want to see is some piece of **** "inquisition" codex that combines all four factions, which if it were to be released would invariably suck.

gwensdad
10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
No more new marine codexes UNLESS they want to go ahead and do all the 1st founding chapters (maybe even as 2 related chapters in the same codex.)
I see something like this:
Codex Space Marine covers the Smurfs and Hufflepuffs...I mean Ultramarines and Imperial Fists
Space Wolf...is space wolf
"Angels of Death" for Dark and Blood Angels
"Flames and Iron" - An Iron Hands/Salamanders codex (maybe the weakest idea)
"Wings of Lightening" - White Scars/Raven Guard. All fast attack all the time.

And I am in favor of a "All =I=" codex, bringing in the Deathwatch* and seriously updating the Sisters and the Grey Knights especially getting some consistancy in the vehicle armories and inquisitorial agents of both.

Who else? The Mechanicum and The Hurd.

-------------------------------------------
*maybe the Deathwatch could be mixed marines and sisters? Both contributing to the Ordo: Xenos? Just a stray thought

Melissia
10-14-2009, 07:55 PM
GW could never do an amalgamated Inqusition codex properly. Mashing up four different factions into one codex is a prescription for failure.

gwensdad
10-14-2009, 08:19 PM
GW could never do an amalgamated Inqusition codex properly. Mashing up four different factions into one codex is a prescription for failure.

If they got the right writer to do it, it would work.
(but then, you're right. It's GW and they'd somehow find the worst possible writer to do it) :confused:

Melissia
10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Exactly my point, heh.

Duke
10-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Well, at least you also complain about your own potential codex, I was beginning to think you might support anything new with sisters in it.

Sangre
10-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Dark Eldar

Melissia
10-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Well, at least you also complain about your own potential codex, I was beginning to think you might support anything new with sisters in it.
Don't be a dork. I've always asked for a pure Sisters codex :P

the one
10-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Not Imperials. Anything else. Just not Imperials.

Duke
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Seeing as how my Blood Angels are getting a new codex...

I would love to see Grey Knights get a new codex. I have always wanted to play that list, but the range of models is weak (in my opinion, the models that are there are great, but not much selection.) Also, the rules could use a big revamp.

As far as non-imperials, I wouldn't mind seeing a new tau codex... But then there is the obivous Dark Eldar, which is almost hitting antique status.

Duke

Cthulhu
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
1) Tyranids - oh wait, I'm getting that, yay!
2) Blood Angels - so one of my buddies that plays his BA models as "Red Templars" or "Red Wolves" will stop complaining about how badly they've been hosed. I guess I'm getting that too!
3) Dark Eldar - so that another of my buddies who plays them will stop trying to get us to let him play with fandex rules.
4) Necrons - Because I think they're cool, in flavor with the darkness of the 40k universe and it would possibly get another of my buddies to stop playing his completely annoying Ork army. For a little while at least.
5) Chaos Legions - Because as someone who's played a Chaos army for 20 years I feel I can say authoritatively that the current codex is lame, barely competitive, and contains a very limited variety of viable army builds. Chaos is about diversity, the latest codex is not Chaos Space Marines, it's angry non-loyalist marines, Chaos Space Marines have dedicated themselves to the powers of the warp, which twists their minds and bodies, there's nothing twisted about the current CSM codex, sorry.
6) Assassins/DH/WH/Adeptus Mechanicus/SoB (aka =I=) - Since they provide a significant amount of flexibility to many Imperial Codices something like this would have an impact across many standard armies. The pipedream of an AM codex with dozens of unique vehicles, vehicle rules and such is just that, a pipedream, GW is not going to put out a series of bitz packs so you can modify all your land raiders/predators/leman russes/valkyries, get over it, they will provide a few specialist unit types and rules and that's about it. Now maybe I'm wrong and Melissia will get her recycled SoBs in their own shiny codex with all new plastic models and the whole shebang, but you know what, if I had to put money on that or the Lions going to the Super Bowl this year, well, I'm going with the Lions.

The current formula, which you all know if you think about it is this, new codex retread involves 2-4 new shiny units that didn't exist in the previous codex and provide enough of a significant tactical change to the way the codex plays to force you to go buy the models, rinse, repeat.

Melissia
10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I have consistent and numerous quotes and paraphrases where Jervis Johnson states that there will be two codices to a wide variety of people, and that they will focus on the Sisters and Grey Knights. There will be no Inquisition codex, and the Xenohunters will have to wait until some time in the future to get theirs, if they ever get it at all. Half a dozen Bolter and Chainsword posters, for example, got responses from Jervis Johnson stating essentially the same thing, when they asked him about the codices. I can provide links to a few of them if you wish-- but suffice it to say, unlike my assertions, you have nothing to back up your idea. Nobody that's ever suggested that craptastic idea for an amalgamated "Inquisition" codex ever had any proof other than their own misguided whims.

As for "recycled", stop trolling. If you'll look at my own ideas for how the codex should go down, you'll find that I am perfectly willing to see oftentimes dramatic change to the faction in order to make it better. In fact, one of the WORST things that GW could do is leave the Sisters relatively untouched in their new codex. The Sisters are a great concept, but they need polish, something that they haven't gotten much of because of GW's unswerving e focus on Marines.

Cthulhu
10-16-2009, 01:05 PM
That's great, I have consistent quotes from Jervis about getting a Chaos Legions codex. Do I expect it next year, hell no, the year after, not really but maybe I'll get lucky, before the end of the Mayan calendar, probably.

To be fair Melissia I wasn't trolling and was unaware that Jervis had even acknowledged the possibility of the SoBs getting their own codex (I think it's a colossal waste of time, but that's just my opinion) or Grey Knights for that matter (again, colossal waste of time opinion surfaces), but if he did, great, good for you. I wouldn't expect it within the next year though, just throwing that out there.

Melissia
10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
He also consistently stated that the two codices would be at the end of the update cycle as well. Essentially both codices would be released just in time for sixth edition, although he didn't say that directly :P

As for "waste of time", I would argue that all Marine codices aside from C:SM are wastes of time myself. But then, I suppose we don't want to get into opinions, now, do we? I have those up the wazoo :P

Marshal2Crusaders
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
He also consistently stated that the two codices would be at the end of the update cycle as well. Essentially both codices would be released just in time for sixth edition, although he didn't say that directly :P

As for "waste of time", I would argue that all Marine codices aside from C:SM are wastes of time myself. But then, I suppose we don't want to get into opinions, now, do we? I have those up the wazoo :P

There will be no sixth edition. The end of the world is in 3 years. Lets just enjoy our marine codexes.

Melissia
10-16-2009, 03:49 PM
No way. GW is going to have to keep its *** working through the damn zombie apocalypse, or god help me I will hunt them down!

Crae
10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
ANYTHING chaos that is not demon or marine. I am tired of fighting marines. I want some chaos rebel love. I want loads and loads of cultists. I want heavy stubbers and club swinging maniacs. I want weird hammered together chaos contraptions. I want mad priests and half insane psykers. I want to fight evil humans, that are not "traitor guard", pure demon or Chaos marines.

Admech, Inqusition, Assassin, Sister (Sorry Mel) and Greyknights should all be in a "dogs of war" codex. They should only be a addition to existing Imperial armies. They where never intended to be "whole armies", but rather elements that supported the main fighting machine (guards) against certain enemies aka. codex Imperialis. All these armies have the same in common. Non of them consist of enough elements to actually make a viable fighting force, except for maybe the sisters.

other then that, Necrons and Dark eldar are the two armies that need most updating, before doing anything else.

ggg
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
My ideal order would be as follows:

Dark Eldar
Necrons
Tau

Genestealer Cultists. (Could be covered in one joint lost and the damned book including the below)
Chaos Cultists.

Inquisition

mechanicus
Eldar

Warhammer 30,000 - Legions

Demiurg

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-16-2009, 05:37 PM
No way. GW is going to have to keep its *** working through the damn zombie apocalypse, or god help me I will hunt them down!

hah, so you do have a sense of humour behind that cold space nun-like online exterior then ;)

ggg
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
ANYTHING chaos that is not demon or marine. I am tired of fighting marines. I want some chaos rebel love. I want loads and loads of cultists. I want heavy stubbers and club swinging maniacs. I want weird hammered together chaos contraptions. I want mad priests and half insane psykers. I want to fight evil humans, that are not "traitor guard", pure demon or Chaos marines.

Admech, Inqusition, Assassin, Sister (Sorry Mel) and Greyknights should all be in a "dogs of war" codex. They should only be a addition to existing Imperial armies. They where never intended to be "whole armies", but rather elements that supported the main fighting machine (guards) against certain enemies aka. codex Imperialis. All these armies have the same in common. Non of them consist of enough elements to actually make a viable fighting force, except for maybe the sisters.

I love the idea - there should be two rather epic codexes - Codex Imperial agents (including judges and arbites) just like there was in the universal army list that came with second edition - and the Lost and the Damned with the nasty stuff - perhaps even rules for genestealer cults and plague zombies?!. They would be essential purchases for most gamers and I bet they would sell well. So long as there was sufficient provision to be able to build stand alone sisters armies and Grey knight armies then even the hardcore fans could be pleased. The major difficulty would be miniature support- a plastic fraternis militia boxed set with loads of options would go a long way to asssit both books. - a genestealer cult upgrade sprue or a chaos cultist upgrade sprue and an ad mech sprue to go with the cadian guard or the fraternis militia set - would be great fun and reasonably efficient. It really comes down to replacing the metal sisters models with something plastic- a task that sounds like no mean feat.

Melissia
10-16-2009, 08:12 PM
They where never intended to be "whole armies"

Apparently you haven't read the Sisters of Battle codex, or for that matter even the Witch Hunter codex, or for that matter even the Rogue Trader era Sisters fluff where they were actually the ones whom policed the Astartes. Even now, the Sisters have a bigger presence and a bigger impact on modern-day 40K (that is to say, M.41 and on) than the Astartes simply through sheer numbers and political power alone.

If you're going to stuff all "Imperial" assets into one army, might as well go the whole mile and do the same thing to the Guard and Marines. Not that that'll ever happen.

MightyOrang
10-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Adeptus Mechanicus
Eldar Exodites
Pirates/Mercs/Scum
Iron Hands
Chaos Legions like World Eaters, etc
White Scars should have their own
Hrud

Crae
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Apparently you haven't read the Sisters of Battle codex, or for that matter even the Witch Hunter codex, or for that matter even the Rogue Trader era Sisters fluff where they were actually the ones whom policed the Astartes. Even now, the Sisters have a bigger presence and a bigger impact on modern-day 40K (that is to say, M.41 and on) than the Astartes simply through sheer numbers and political power alone.

If you're going to stuff all "Imperial" assets into one army, might as well go the whole mile and do the same thing to the Guard and Marines. Not that that'll ever happen.

Oye !!! :eek:...Easy now ...I have read it. I make it a principle to read anything I can get my hand on :o

That said. I think you missed the point I was trying to bring (I did say you could justify sisters btw lassy, so back off on the sister rant :p). The Sisters and all the additional stuff that where brought on at at a certain point, around 92-93 (I think it was around then the first stuff came out) when they tried to bring in more stuff was a big mess. We had all sorts of weird stuff in second edition, including Arbiters and Judges (Judge dread any one ?) and sisters plus a whole load of ****, like knights (dark millennium supplement) and assassins. In my opinion all of these additional things work really well fluff wise, but I can hardly ever see them do a codex Justices or something for the Arbiters.

They finally caved in and gave the world some females and made a sister codex. Females in armour must be a good idea...I am sure they expected to sell tons and tons of the stuff. Who doesn't like a tight fit body suit and a well trained bad *** woman?. Unfortunately they ended up making them to much space marine like (A whole discussion right there), but that must be good they properly thought...marines sell....female marines must sell even more!!!.

The sisters, arbites, inqusition and so on showed up here and there though the years and it is great that they are there. The matter of the fact is, that they have so many armies to support at the moment, that it has become a big mess. I to a certain point would even agree with you, that the marines are so elite, that they should be crammed right in with the sisters and knights and so on, but they sadly are one of the most selling armies and we need GW to sell stuff so they can support all the other less selling armies.

The Codes Imperiallis would in my opinion include the Greyknights, the Arbiters, Ad-Mech, Inquisition and Assassins (+ what ever els you could cram in.

Sisters are currently a stable army with 2nd and 3rd-5th codex that will be hard to press out. I would just love for them to actually differentiate the army from space marines and actually make them unique. Modify the stat line away from the current and more towards the elite options in the Imperial guard codex. Maybe make the weapon of choice something different then the bolter (A modernised Auto gun or something ?).

My point in the end is. We need GW to make armies that will sell and make sense. There has always been some form of balance in Fantasy and we need to get the same in 40k.

"Good" vs. "Evil" armies
Spacemarines - Chaos marines
Imperial guard - Rebels or what ever else you want to call the Chaos worshippers that are not marines.
Agents (codex Imperiallis, sisters and knights and what not) - Demons other xenos scum

Law vs. Anarchy
Ork - Tau
Dark Eldar - Eldar

Masses of Gray (aka. Don't know their agenda)
Tyranids - Necrons

In my opinion, they should have never made a demon codex either, but that is another move they have made, to introduce a cross army between fantasy and 40k. Properly in the hope they can get people interested and hooked on both.

Now we just need ratmen Hrud and Demiurge dwarfs and it would be perfect :cool:

But Melissa....I have no doubt that you feel strong about your army. I like them too...just not in their current incarnation. I want to be a seperat entity instead of female marines and I am pretty you feel the same way to a certain degree.

Just out of interest...what would you think of a something like:

Sister - 12 pts.
Ws Bs S T W I A Ld Save
3 3 3 3 1 3 1 8 4+

Faith in the Emperor: Even a sister, will from time to time lose hearth in the face of hardship, but her unshakeable faith in the Emperor will get her back on the path to salvation.

Stubborn. May always try to rally no matter what.

Armour: Carapace
Equipment: Frag- & Krak grenades, Assaultgun (Rng: 18 - Str. 3 - Ap. 5 - Assault 2)

1-2 Flamers, meltagun per squad.

????????????????????????????????

Col.Gravis
10-19-2009, 05:29 AM
My default answer goes against the question, no body should until all the existing armies have been updated (specificly thinking of some guys with pointed ears and lots of blades).

If they get that done though, I'd like to see a combined Forces of the Imperium book with rules for the Inquisition, Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, Deathwatch and Adeptus Arbites etc in it which would reduce the current number of Codex by one, then replacing that one with Lost and the Damned - which is focused on renegade humans but in a similar manner to the Tau Empire could include some other Xenos races and abhumans.

While Adeptus Mechanicus would be cool, I think for the most part they are all about the big machines (by which I mean not just Titans) which are better left as the domain of Forgeworld, if you really wanted to have the likes of Skitarri and Praetorian Servitors in game they would probably be a suitable addition to the 'Forces of the Imperium' idea.

A Chaos Legions book would be nice in a way to better represent the original Traitor Marines but should have just been included in the most recent Chaos codex as with the older one, I'd REALLY avoid any more Loyalist Marine flavour books though beyond the current range (Codex, DA, BA, BT, SW), likewise more new alien races.

My reasoning for combining codex and limiting any extra ones is not because they could'nt or should'nt have whole army list's in their own right, but that GW fail to support those we've got adeptquately IMHO, adding more would just make the situation worse and we know they're not going to cut back on their big money spinner Space Marines, dont even pretent it might happen because it's one of those things that requires the presence of flying sausages, a deep freeze down under and the presense of four nasty looking chaps on horseback yelling something about a big game of apocolypse! :confused:

Melissia
10-19-2009, 06:30 AM
It's funny how people say "non-marine imperial armies should be combined into one codex" and then go on to act like combining all the marine armies into one codex is a cardinal sin or something.

Col.Gravis
10-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Cardinal sin? No, from many gamers points of view it (mine included, incidently I play Sisters) it would probably be alot easier and would make alot of sense to combine them (the Space Marines), but it's just a case that Marines are like it or not GW's poster boys.

Codex Space Wolves by way of example would be a better seller then Codex Sisters of Battle and is probably a better seller then codex Witchhunters and Daemonhunters combined if the number of armies are anything to go by. Therefore they justify the individual codex in GW's book financially, even if not in those of the individual gamer.

Melissia
10-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Regardless of that, however, as long as the Marines stay separate, arguments to combine the other codices fall flat on their face.

Wolfshade
10-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Unfortunatley if you go by the who plays the most logic, you evolve a more financially run system rather than a more hobby focused business. The logic extreme (I emphasis the extreme part of this argument, as this is not something that I would advocate myself) is that you have only codex space marines and Warhammer 40k instead of being a whole universe, becomes Space Marine Battles.

From the ease of re-designing of Marines, I would expect to see the sapce marine range all sorted first since most of the ideas were probably play tested in the making of the latest space marine codex, plus the existing marine componets making it easy to redesign using templates or upgrade sprues.

I would like to see all exisiting races be upgraded before a new army getting a codex. Aside from that I would like to see an adeptus mechanicus army get a codex. But then would that be too many "human" varients?

Also was the "cardinal sin" meant to be a pun, that coming from a Witch Hunters, and the whole Ecclesiarchy vibe :o

Col.Gravis
10-19-2009, 07:51 AM
With respect Melissia, you can say that till your blue in the face, but simply the comparison is one army sells enough 'units' (as whatever GW decides is the cut off point, though hopefully as Wolfshade illustrates not one which is financial in basis alone) to justify it's own book, one does'nt despite there being some demand for it.

Simple solution so as too cater for that smaller demand; combine several which are in the same boat (and realisiticly it's the Inquisition which need the Sisters in this situation more so then the other way round) so that within the single book there is enough demand for it to be justified as a product.

Marine Chapters such as Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Dark Angels all have sufficient demand to justify themselves as standalone products. Unfortuantely Sisters does not. There is interest, there are players, but not enough to justify their own stand alone codex, however combined with the Inquisition and whatever else and your starting to look at something more viable as it will sell more 'units' given it appeals to a greater market.

Realisiticly as Sisters players the best we can hope for is an update of the Witchhunter Codex, it's far more likely IMHO that GW will eventually get around to the combined 'Inquisition' codex that has been hinted at a number of times, in which case we might as well have greater variety again by adding other forces of the Imperium.

eldargal
10-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I disagree, GW has put out small codices before, there is no reason why SoB couldn't have their own. If you are going to take the position that onl high selling things get their own codex, with 40% of 40k sales being Space Marine and Chaos Space Marine (allegedly) we might as well resign ourselves to "Codex: Xenos" and "Codex: Imperium" and half a dozen space marine codices. Call me old fashioned but I don't think that will result in a healthy hobby.

With respect Melissia, you can say that till your blue in the face, but simply the comparison is one army sells enough 'units' to justify it's own book, one does'nt despite there being some demand for it.

Simple solution so as too cater for that smaller demand; combine several which are in the same boat so that within the single book there is enough demand for it to be justified as a product.

Marine Chapters such as Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Dark Angels all have sufficient demand to justify themselves as standalone products. Unfortuantely Sisters does not. There is interest, there are players, but not enough to justify their own stand alone codex, however combined with the Inquisition and whatever else and your sarting to look at something more viable as it will sell more 'units' given it appeals to a greater market.

Realisiticly as Sisters players the best we can hope for is an update of the Witchhunter Codex, it's far more likely IMHO that GW will eventually get around to the combined 'Inquisition' codex that has been hinted at a number of times, in which case we might as well have greater variety again by adding other forces of the Imperium.

Col.Gravis
10-19-2009, 08:17 AM
eldargal, your correct about how things can't be based on sales alone as Wolfshade illustrated, and it's not what I intended to suggest so I apologiese if thats how it sounded, however as a company whose goal is to make a profit it has to be part of their decision, I dont know what the cut off point is where GW has a compromise between sales and hobby, however there must be one.

They have indeed released small codex in the past, Sisters did have their own codex in second edition afterall, there was Codex Catachan and the Eldar Craftworld Codex in more recent times as well as others which are all excellent examples of this, but when was the last time one of these was published? The most recent example along these lines I can think of would be the Eye of Terror codex back in 2004, though thats probably more of an example of a combined book thinking about it - be it a different style to the single list Witch Hunters & Daemon Hunters books.

eldargal
10-19-2009, 08:23 AM
It was more me taking the logic and running with it.:) I agree its been a while since they released min-codices, but I think it would make more sense to have them back for the less popular races/minor factions than lump them all in together.

Wolfshade
10-19-2009, 08:25 AM
They are actually revesering the trend of small codexs, look at 3rd edition codex BA and its 12 pages of glory :) the white dwarf supplement had more pages, similiarly 2nd edition codex assassins. Page for page the codex are getting larger. I think that this discission must be a hobby driven one as it gives a "reason to play" the army by explaining the fluff, what drives them etc. Then on the flip side once you have that hook, that one thing in the background which makes you say "Yes I must play this army in preference to the others" you then encourage them to be brought and played. Furthermore speaking from personal experiance I am now encourage to buy these newer books as they are bigger and of more interest even if I don't play the army.

But the balancing act between line efficiency (sales) and hobby have to be made, one of these concessions is the stripped down stores that are popping up (certainly true in England, not sure about overseas as I don't use those ones :rolleyes:)

Melissia
10-19-2009, 08:29 AM
If you're gonna argue for minidexes, I'd personally rather see factions get one big codex and then mini-codices are released for sub-factions. IE, one Marine codex, and then a collection of minidexes (BA / DA / BT / GK / Renegades), one Chaos codex, and then a collection of minidexes ( Legions / LatD / Daemons), one Eldar codex and a collection of minidexes (Dark Eldar, Craftworlds), one Ork codex and a collection of minidexes (one for each clan), one Guard codex and a collection of minidexes (valhallan, elysian, etc), a Sisters codex and Ecclesiarchal army minidex, and so on and so forth.

Not that I necessarily support the minidex idea, but if it had to be done, that's the way I'd want to see it done.

eldargal
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Well, personally I'd prefer all proper codices but I dont think that is feasible. I would prefer a few mini-dexes (mini-dices?) in the interests of variety, to make the older neglected armies more viable so I'm not always fighting SM, IG or Orks. I don't want to see a return to full blown 3rd ed mini-dex madness.

Col.Gravis
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
To be honest I think the most logical step of all if they were to go down the mini-dex route would be to release the main book and then make available PDF's of variants and by-pass printing lots of 12-20 page books altogether, you can cover as much ground as you want with those as theres no page limit, and cut out the cost of printing (hell they could do them as eBooks even that you had to pay to download if they took the concept and ran with it much as Black Library is doing).

To be honest as a hobbiest I'd love to see that approach more then anything as they could easily explore the vast universe of material without the cost's asociated of taking things to print - of course the product would still need writing but the cost of employing my staff member to do that is minimal compared too that of publishing a book. Meanwhile within store's you'd support only the core list's and their ascociated minatures, which would also have the benefit of leaving a clear distinction between their published product and internet product which would make the lives of the major touny organisers much easier - oh the headaches they suffered with all the old mini-dex!

Anyway kinda off the point, I think the main idea of the thread was ideal world discussion rather then what we actually think will happen and it's my fault we've drifted off a bit, because in an ideal world we'd have all these different races and organisation's in a full size, full colour codex!

Duke
10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
In an ideal world you wouldn't need codexes... All codexes would be balanced when issued and the editions of the rule book would be to clearify vauge rules, not to change them all together.

Duke

Col.Gravis
10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Tut-tut Duke, thats not an ideal world, thats just in cloud cuckoo land ;)

Duke
10-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Tut-tut Duke, thats not an ideal world, thats just in cloud cuckoo land ;)

Seriuosly, that would just make sense... Lord forbid anything from GW make an ounce of sense.

Duke (is making sense)

MarshalAdamar
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I think the SOB should be right up there with DE for a new codex (released in conjunction with the Daemon hunter’s codex.

SOB are caught in a vicious circle.

There a lot of people (myself included) would buy a SOB army if they were plastic with a new codex, but GW won't invest the money in making those things because no one buys the army. And we don't buy it because there is no new stuff.

I like the witch hunter’s codex and I think that with some major over hauls it would be an awesome book. Some units need to get revamped but the core of the army is strong.

I agree with those who say that the Inquisitorial “All in one” would be a disaster and the book would be huge, so they would trim in down and then all the factions would lose.

The SOB are unique enough to have a stand alone codex. I also agree with those who call for standardization with the Inquisitors and their war gear.

I played the SOB (using stand in marines LOL) The Brothers of battle (failed space marines). Just so I could try out the rules for the SOB and I thought they were great. The fluff and the units, and the acts of faith, were all very cool and unique.

Some people think they’re just female space marines but they are way more than that.

And I would love to see a revamped Tau codex!

Ironwinds
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Necrons, Dark Eldar-they need new codex's.
Codex Legions: For the 9 chaos legions, you can easily put them all in one book, none of them deserve their own book.
Codex Chapters: Why not, instead of a BA, DA, BT, blah blah blah..... just have one book with all of them. Back in the day there were 2 index astartes books, both were mixed. Now have 2 books, one chaos, one Imperials.

Codex CSM, and Codex SM can be for Black Legion & renegades, and Vanilla marines. I think having 2 books for CSMs, and 2 books for SMs would be a lot easier, and make the rate at which everyone gets codexs faster.

I think it would make life a lot easier.

I would also like to see LatD get a codex again, but I can live with the FW rules I guess.

Basically 1 big book and a collection of minidex book. And it also no longer matters if one group outsells the other, they are all in one book, so it is going to sell to everyone.

lobster-overlord
10-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I like the idea that every 2 editions they rework everything that exists, but removing armies that don't see sales/play, and then each edition you get one new army each edition, be it new race or ally.

Gregory
10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Guys, this thread wasn't asking what codex you want to come out next. It was a question of what you'd like to see get its own codex... Everyone already knows that GW needs to update all the old codices first, so stop bringing that up. No one cares.

I suppose I'll put in my two cents and say Chaos Renegades. Considering how much more common they are than chaos marines and daemons in the fluff, I find it strange that no official codex exists for them.

Melissia
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
No one cares.Apparently people do.

Herald of Nurgle
10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
IRON WITHIN! Iron Without. IRON WITHIN! Iron Without.

Wolfshade
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I suppose I'll put in my two cents and say Chaos Renegades. Considering how much more common they are than chaos marines and daemons in the fluff, I find it strange that no official codex exists for them.

Wouldn't they fight like IG? Since usually (by usually I mean historically) traitors tend to fight in the same way that they were organised whilst loyal. Just add some wargear marks of chaos etc?

Melissia
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
You mean, just like Chaos Space Marines fight in the same way Loyalist Space Marines do?

Wolfshade
10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Very similiar. Yes. Or was there sarcasm that I failed to pick up on?

Melissia
10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
You can choose to take that post either way to be honest. CSMs typically do fight very similarly to SMs, with mostly their loyalties and objectives being diferent. With the exceptions of cultist troops anyway (which would be the same for LatD).

Gregory
10-20-2009, 01:31 AM
I think I may have used the wrong wording for that. I was thinking of something more along the lines of the Lost and the Damned. The old army list is nothing like IG. Fluff-wise, human chaos followers are common enough to deserve their own codex.

Aceshigh
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
I would love to see the Dark Eldar get a book, but i have a better chance of seeing jesus than that happening

Ironwinds
10-20-2009, 01:29 PM
LatD fight nothing like guard. I bought a guard codex to try and play LatD, it didn't work. The closest you can get is to take straken with those preacher units that make people better in hth, the army is still primarily shooty.

LatD include mutants, big mutants, spawn.... you know, things that are good in hth. They can summon demons, use defilers and/or leman russes. In my old LatD army I had 2 squads of traitor guardsmen, the rest was mutants. LatD also had chaos marines as HQs and special squad leaders which is very fluffy for renegade armies as many armies do have a few chaos marines leading them. LatD also tend to treat humans more as meat shields to get their nastier hth units like Chaos marines into combat.