PDA

View Full Version : Metheglin

Necron2.0
07-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I started a 5 gallon batch of metheglin yesterday. Metheglin is a spiced variety of mead, which is honey wine. Vikings used to drink mead before going into battle. Actually, they drank it all the time, but given their joy for battle, that's probably not a contradiction. Of course, the Space Wolves probably drink it by the tanker full (that's tanker, not tankard). Mead is also the source of the term "Honeymoon," because the old tradition was to give a newly wed couple enough mead to last them one lunar month.

The annoying think about making mead is it won't be drinkable for at least 7 months to a year. I hate waiting.

gwensdad
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds like fun! But depending on where you live just call it "mead". Calling it be it's real named around here would get people thinking I was making meth if I talked about it.
(I once had someone lecture me about drugs because I was talking about resin-casting something and apparently they thought I was talking about some drug thing) (stupid muggles)

Necron2.0
07-05-2011, 05:10 PM
SouCalling it be it's real named around here would get people thinking I was making meth if I talked about it.

Noted. The thing about mead is, it's so old many of the names it goes by are derived from the same words we use to name pharmaceuticals, so that it sounds like you're taking drugs. As example:

Acerglyn - Fermented honey and maple syrup
Capsicumel - Fermented honey and chillis
Hippocras - Mulled mead with added spices
hydromel - Watered down mead
Melomel - Fermented honey and fruit
Melometh - Spiced fermented honey and fruit
Metheglin - Fermented honey and spices (Differs from hippocras by when the spices are added)
Omphacomel - Honey fermented with the juice from immature grapes
Oxymel - Mead and vinegar
Rhodomel - Fermented honey and rose essence

Necron2.0
07-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Of course, one must be careful of the potential side effects of making and consuming mead. I illustrated this to a friend with the following graphic.

Slide one shows a one gallon batch prior to active fermentation.

Slide two shows the results of fermentation in one day, namely CO2 and alcohol (the presence of CO2 is indicative of the presence of alcohol).

Slide three shows a resultant side effect. That's not to say there's anything undesirable with the side effect (far from it actually), but it is something one should bear in mind:

http://members.cox.net/necron2.0/img/Mead.jpg

Grailkeeper
07-06-2011, 03:25 AM
What does mead taste like? I've had Honey beer- it was Belgian Lambic beer, which was very tasty.

scadugenga
07-06-2011, 05:20 AM
What does mead taste like? I've had Honey beer- it was Belgian Lambic beer, which was very tasty.

When you actually drink real, good mead?

It tastes like a kiss from a beautiful woman.

Okay. So it's weird analogy, but somehow apt.

I blame being up way too early.

Drew da Destroya
07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
That is the cutest side effect I've ever seen.

Necron2.0
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
That is the cutest side effect I've ever seen.

Yep. I think I'll keep her.

Mead is a class of wine, like white or red. The flavor can vary dramatically, from dry to sweet. Most commercial meads will be very sweet, tasting strongly of diluted honey. The dry stuff will still be a little sweet, but may have a buttery flavor as well. The metheglins I make taste a bit like an alcoholic root beer (not quite, but close). In any case, you WILL taste the alcohol. A strong beer might be around 8% alcohol by volumn. The typical dry white wine is around 11%. Mead is usually around 14% and can go as much as 18%.