PDA

View Full Version : Cockatrice (a fabulous kit)

lobster-overlord
07-09-2011, 01:23 PM
So I picked up my Cockatrice today and I have to say that it is a fabulous kit. The detail is excellent and the balance is very good. minimal mold lines, and excellent placement of sprue joints.

To all those hating on Finecast, this is the kit to look at for an excellent example of the work that they are doing. I was going into this with the skepticism brewed on the internet, and I can say that it is unfounded, other than the actual problems that are legit (malformed and bubbles getting through QA).

No worse than a metal would be and better in that I didn't have to pin anything ( a few greenstuff gaps though).

I hope to have some pics as I paint it up for display in my store.

John M.

Chronowraith
07-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Agreed. I finished putting my Cockatrice together this morning. My model experienced a few bubbles at awkward areas but the detail is fine and crisp and the model went together incredibly easy. The bubbles I ended up filling with green stuff pretty easily.

It really is a fantastic model. I'll try and post a few pictures at some point, although I have some really bad ones on my blog already (of the unassembled model).

The Madman
07-10-2011, 06:34 AM
the people hating on it are the minority anyway, i've bought a few finecast now and haven't got a single bad one.

OT: and yeah the Cocktrice is a nice model.

faolan
07-10-2011, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't say the people hating on it are in the minority, but that's another topic.

I reckon their (GW's) resin setup is better for larger models anyway - the Green Knights and larger that I've seen have all been relatively flawless, it's only with the man-sized figures they seem to have serious issues. So I'm not surprised in the least that the cockatrice comes out looking good.

Chronowraith
07-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I think it has more to do with the Cockatrice being a new mold and the other molds being retooled from existing metal casting molds.

I'm hoping to paint my cockatrice sometime soon. I'm just incredibly excited about this model for some reason.

lobster-overlord
07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I think it has more to do with the Cockatrice being a new mold and the other molds being retooled from existing metal casting molds.

That's a misconception. When available, which would be near 100% of them, the finecast molds were made from the original greens/protos/masters.

Chronowraith
07-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if any quality issues were due to using older molds.

I don't have an issue with Finecast quality.. never complained about it and indeed, I've often defended it as no less inferior than metal.

quinn
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I too bought the Cockatrice and am very pleased with it. No bubbles and minimal flash. It went together really easily and I only had to do a little gap-filling with green stuff. It is finely detailed and overall a great sculpt. The only thing that really shocked me is it's weight. This model is so light that I'm a bit worried I'll drop it! I am mounting it on a GF9 Magnetic base and made sure that the base has a bit of weight to it. I'm about to start hitting it with the airbrush to get my base coats down.

On a side note..a friend that knows a lot about Resin and Metal manufacturing told me that one of the biggest problems with the changeover is the 'slot-tabs' on the old metal models...apparently it doesn't give enough surface area for the air bubbles to escape from during the molding process. Most resin models have a greater area for air to escape, which isn't a problem with metal apparently. Personally, I have no idea but that is his take on it.

eldargal
07-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Agreed, my two are flawless, only minor areas of flash and I can't even spot the mouldlines.:rolleyes: